Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #1

A Window Problem. This Is A Tough One

I have a '99 Boxster. Today, I decided to put the top down. It went down perfectly, as it always does. Everything worked. The windows went down a little bit like they are supposed to. But when I went to roll the windows all the way down, they wouldn't budge. Not the divers side or the passenger side. When I open the door, the windows go down a little bit like they are supposed to. I don't think it is the fuse. Could it be the switches in the console themselves? Could both of them go bad at the same time? What could it be?

You guys here are the most knowledgeable on the web, and a very helpful community. You guys have helped me a lot in the past with out even knowing it. Any thoughts?

Infernicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #2

Question: when you put the top back up, do the windows operate normally once again?
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Stick your finger in the latch well on the windshield. Does that switch click and operate normally? May be broke in "closed" position.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #4

Garage
When you say the windows don't budge, did you try them both ways?

When the top is not all the way up or down, the windows don't go all the way up, but you should still be able to operate them up to that point.

Sounds to me as if the sensor that detects the top's position still thinks it's not totally up or down.
Is the light on for the top, in the dash cluster?
herve_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #5

Check the battery charge state....if you are doing this without the engine running
Old 08-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #6

The windows do not go up or down when the top is raised. They only go down slightly when the doors are opened and move back up to the closed position doors are closed. I stuck my finger into the latch well and it appeared to be working properly, it moved back and fourth. The windows will not go up or down, regardless of the top's position. The only movement is when the doors open or close. I have tried with the engine on. Oh, and there isn't a light in the gauge cluster. This is quite the head scratcher.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #7

The window switches? Have you had the center console off for anything?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #8

I haven't had the console off. I thought it could be the switches themselves, but why would both fail at the same time? that seems a little odd. The last repar was a new windshield. Could the installers bumped anything that would cause the windows to act this way?
Old 08-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #9

An update: when I put the top back up to see if that makes a difference, the windows no longer automatically go down that little bit. They do however, still open a bit when the doors are opened. Is there some sort of window lock that I am unaware of?
Old 08-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #10

Another clarifying question...

When you first unlatched the top, did the windows drop 1/4" or more like 2"? It should be more like 2". If it was much smaller, then it sounds like you have a sensor problem somewhere. Others have suggested a battery issue. It could be...these cars do some weird things when their batteries get weak .
Old 08-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #11

Just saw comment ombré windshield...would be surprised if the installer pinced a wire.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #12

When I first unlatched the top yesterday the windows dropped like they were supposed to. It was only after I lowered the top completely that they refused to move down anymore.

An Update: Here we go! The map light didn't work. The power locks didn't work. I checked all the inside electrical systems I could think of to see if anything else was failing. I thought for sure a relay or something had died. Or that somehow, the windshield installers managed to do something funky.

I was thinking electrical. By luck, I stumbled across a Renntech fourm that I hadn't seen before. A user there was having the same exact problem. The solution? It was a fuse. The fuse chart listed fuse D1 as the power window fuse. And that one was fine. The problem was fuse C3. I swapped it out, and now everything is working perfectly again! C3 covers the interior lights, door locks and I guess the windows.

Thank you everyone with all your help and advice! I am so glad that it was just a silly fuse and not something more serious.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #13

Garage
That is really good stuff. Thanks for sharing your solution.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:48 PM   #14

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post and say that fuse C3 was my problem, too. Nicely done, Infernicus!
Tbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 06:41 AM   #15

Solutions are appreciated....too often the original posters don't post the solutions.

THANKS!!!
Old 03-02-2024, 06:49 PM   #16

I have the issue where my windows work fine - unless I put the top down. They drop the standard 2 inches, but often won't go back up fully. I have to open and close the top like demented circus monkey and they will eventually close. Not seeing this on a forum, but when you asked specifically about the 2 inches, I thought you may have had same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Another clarifying question...

When you first unlatched the top, did the windows drop 1/4" or more like 2"? It should be more like 2". If it was much smaller, then it sounds like you have a sensor problem somewhere. Others have suggested a battery issue. It could be...these cars do some weird things when their batteries get weak .

26101 is offline   Reply With Quote