Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

Why can't I add more catalytic to my converter??

So, what is in these things that's so expensive and rare? Won't some old socks give the same results??

How do they work? Keep getting the cat underperforming bank 2 code. Assume new from Pelican is the safe path?

Bank 2 is passenger side? (Some dyslexia)

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #2

I think its platinum....and new socks!
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

A cat uses a coating typically made of platinum or palladium/rhodium to act as a chemical catalyst (hence the name) to change carbon monoxide (CO) and unburned hydrocarbons (HC's consisting of mostly fuel and oil) to carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O) along with oxides of nitrogen (NOx) being converted to nitrogen (N2) and oxygen (O2).

The cat does this by the process of either chemical oxidation or reduction while passing the exhaust gas over a core (as in the photo below) covered with the chemical catalyst.

These chemical reactions require the exhaust gas (and the catalyst) to be fairly hot in order to work well, thus the need for secondary air injection during the cold start phase of engine operation to keep emissions low until the exhaust and catalyst warm up.

Eventually, the catalyst wears down and the cat doesn't work as well. Emissions go up and the CEL is turned on. It is generally not possible to replace the chemical catalyst because it is deposited on the core during the manufacturing process.

Platinum is fairly rare and because of its rarity, only several hundred tons are produced per year. As such, platinum is often more expensive per ounce than gold.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 07-27-2014 at 05:11 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #4

I popped a P0430 this morning on the way to an autocross. I have had it before, on both sides, but only here or there and not in the last year. I am going to check the post cat o2 reading with my durametric, and it might finally be time to put in my "spare" primary cats I bought from a guy who took them off after "only" 40,000 miles.

I had an interesting theory this morning. I recently put on 2nd cat delete pipes. I wonder if that is allowing freer flow and my borderline primary cats can't keep up? More likely they are just worn out after 14+ years and 113,000 miles. I sure hope I don't have to buy new ones, yikes!$$$$

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote