Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #1

Window stuck in full down postion

Hi All,

I've been a long time viewer and I appreciate your help the past couple of years. I've done some extensive searches tonight but can't find anything similar to the issue I'm having with my window. I have a 2001 Boxster S. The passenger window was placed all the way down and now it doesn't move. If I press the switch in the down position I can hear two light clicks coming from the door. If I press the switch in the up position I can hear one click from the door. I've ruled out the switch itself (did a swap with the driver side). Next step would be to pull the door panel but I would like to know if anyone has had this issue and if they think it's the window motor or the regulator or something else.... Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

bboybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I haven't had to deal with the window issue yet, but based on my years of reading the forums, my first guess would be window regulator.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:51 AM   #3

Had that happen on my Toyota last year, which has never given me one lick of trouble in 232,000 miles.
Window lifts are governed by a component called a thermistor. There is no "up" or "down" location switch, when it meets enough resistance, it stops. For some reason my window went down too far. I too thought it was the regulator, bought a new one. When I removed the door skin I just pushed up on the window a millimeter and it worked again, and has been fine ever since. Just one of those things. First thing I would try would be to somehow lift the window without removing the door skin.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions on what's wrong.

I separated the window motor from the regulator this AM. It looks like it's the motor assembly. When I hit the up button the gear rotates a few turns then stops. I pressed the down position and the motor rotates pretty long. Then I hit the up again and it just clicks like it was assembled in with the regulator in the door. The regulator looks pretty clean, no shavings or corrosion so I'm pretty sure it's the motor. Also if I put some light resistance on the spline as I hit the up button it also doesn't rotate and clicks. Looks like I have to replace the more expensive part.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #5

Follow up on my problem with my window just in case someone else has a similar issue. When I found out the motor costs over $350 new to replace, I decided to pull out the electronic control module from the motor assembly. Ended up just blowing it out and making sure the contacts looked okay. Put it back together and tested the motor again and it worked! So I reinstalled it into the regulator and door and my window is now working fine. :dance: