Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #1

New Boxster and a question

Greetings all! I just took delivery of my '97 Boxster (Silver on Black) from Houston. The goal is to have it built into a SpecBoxster by the end of 2015. I've been spending a lot of time perusing the Racing forum here ... a lot of great information there!

I do have one initial problem that I could use some advice on: The driver's seat will recline with the switch, but it will not move the seat back forward, which has led to the seat being in a position that renders the car not drivable. I took the switch apart, and once I pulled the back connector off the seat switch panel the guts just fell out into my hand. It's obvious someone has been in here before and messed with it (one of the two plastic sprung prongs looks homemade).

My question: Is there a way to use the exposed connections within the switch to move the seat back forward? I don't necessarily need to replace it as it's all getting torn out sometime next year anyways, but I need to get it into a drivable position, and then it can just stay there.

Thanks!

Ian

ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #2

I don't think that '97s had the option of full electric seats.
They all reclined electrically, but the front-to-back movement on the rails was controlled by pulling up on the handle in front of the seat, next to the center console (under your right leg as you seat in the vehicle.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 07-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #3

Thanks Pedro, the problem is that once reclined, the seat back won't move forward with the switch. It slides on the track and elevates just fine using the manual controls, although it is now stuck forward and up since I can't move the seat back forward.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
inveniam viam aut faciam

Ah, so what you are saying is that it will recline, but the switch is broken so it will not move to the "upright" position?

I would think that you could find someone with a poor set of seats willing to sell the switch assembly. That is a $600 part from you local friendly Porsche dealer, so used is your best bet. If I were you I would put a WTB ad in the classified and see what you can find.

For now, I would find out which contacts the switch should be closing and jumper them to get the seat in a usable position. You aren't far from me, so if you could bring it by I would be glad to help.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #5

Thanks. That is what I'm trying to figure out. I suppose there could be a problem with the motor, but I'd think if there were it wouldn't recline.

There are 4 wires going to the connector: red (I assume power), Brown (I assume ground), Gray/Black and Gray/Green. I'm hoping someone can tell me what I need to jump, red to ???, so I can avoid blowing a fuse. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to replace that harness, as it's the connector attached to the harness that actually has the switch components in it.

Last edited by ianacole; 07-22-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #6

Got it figured out! Looking at it I figured out that it was a polarity reversing switch, so I jumped red to grey/black and brown to grey/green and the seat back moved forward. Excellent! Was able to get the seat set so I can drive it.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
Got it figured out! Looking at it I figured out that it was a polarity reversing switch, so I jumped red to grey/black and brown to grey/green and the seat back moved forward. Excellent! Was able to get the seat set so I can drive it.
Then get a hold of one of the guys that parts out boxsters on this forum. They might have sone trashed seats that does not need the switch.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Best of luck with your Spec Boxster build!

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote