Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #1

Started my Carpet Re-Dye project

Well I chose something easy and if I messed it up it is not that obvious. I am very pleased with this water based dye I purchased and the match is very close. Im not sure what all the black you see in the "Pizza Oven" it is not there to the naked eye. It also looks much better to the naked eye than it does in the photos. As you can see the Engine Cover and Pizza Oven were faded badly, while not as good as new carpet it is super easy to do and I am very pleased with the results. Over spray can easily be cleaned up with alcohol and a paper towel. It was 90 deg here today with fairly high humidity and this dries to the touch in about 30 min.

I cant wait to do the rest of the car

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #2

Sweet recovery. That tan interior gets pretty dull with time, yes

lol pizza oven
Old 07-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #3

Yes it does

My Fiance just asked me why the concrete looked different colors...I shot the before pics early today, the after pics were late afternoon...so it is a bit warmer...still the pics do not do this justice. I think I paid $30 bucks for the kit

Dwight
Old 07-22-2014, 06:59 AM   #4

Garage
where did you get the kit? Do they have other Boxster colors? I have the Boxster "PINK" and would like to get back to the original Boxster "RED".
Old 07-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
My Fiance just asked me why the concrete looked different colors...I shot the before pics early today, the after pics were late afternoon...so it is a bit warmer...still the pics do not do this justice. I think I paid $30 bucks for the kit

Dwight
Can you post the info (sorry if I missed it somewhere) to the kit? I'd like to do the same!!

thx!
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #6

No Problem

Here is the kit I ordered for the Carpet

Carpet and Fabric Upholstery Dye Kit

I ordered this kit for my seats

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Default.asp

Both have the Porsche color codes, however that being said...if I were to do it again. I ordered the carpet kit (about 30 bucks) first, a few days later I ordered the seat restoration kit (about 90 bucks complete) The guy at Leather World was so much more knowledgeable about his product, he told me that if I wanted to re-dye my carpet I could use the leather dye and dilute it with 10% water and spray and then brush in the carpet. I had already ordered the carpet kit so I am using it...but if I wanted my seats to match my carpet perfectly I would use the Kit from Leather World and order additional Dye. The Kit from Leather World also came in in a few days and included a sprayer powered by canned propellent and good instructions. If you are going to do this clean , clean and clean the carpet and let it dry completely before you start, tape off areas you do not want to dye. Cleanup is with alcohol but do it fast do not let it dry. I will post more as I go, I plan on taking the seats to dye the interior and while I am at it I will renew my leather seats as well. There is a thread on the DIY section by someone else who did this with the same seat kit (that is where I found the product) If I get results half as good as his I will be very happy.

Dwight
Old 07-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #7

Kewl, I'm so in. Although my carpet kit isn't affected as much as yours although still plenty of room for improvement... the tan on mine just looks dead. Not sure how to put this into words lol

Great half day job before the cold days kicks in. I'll post before/after pics here when done. Let's compete!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #8

Im in

I love a good friendly competition ....used to fight in the ring back in my glory days (Late 70 to middle 80's)

Still shoot competitively...do not hunt...but love punching paper.

Dwight
Old 07-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #9

no-no punching for me. Love Love Love everything, papers incl and I stop for squirrels and all my friend!

(that stuff I'm taking... they also sell it online LOL).
Old 07-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #10

Same here

I'm 58 , if I have to get into a fight I have ex students grandchildren that can do it for me ....LOL

I hate to kill anything now........except our state bird here in Alabama.....the Mosquito
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I'm 58 , if I have to get into a fight I have ex students grandchildren that can do it for me ....LOL

I hate to kill anything now........except our state bird here in Alabama.....the Mosquito
41 here

Raising (hobby#1) a pair of the breeders' Rottweiler here in Shanghai with my wife. Combined weight 110kilos (240lbs). My grown up pups are like family members here mate .... like yourself I'm fully equipped! If dirty work is ever required they should deal with it, I'm simply incapable of that

Respect the squirrels

Last edited by Nine8Six; 07-22-2014 at 10:13 AM. Reason: blood stains removed lol
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #12

Back to "Cars"

Let the Carpet Restoration Competition Begin!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:21 AM   #13

Garage
Competition! I think we need a theme song.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:09 AM   #14

I recently redyed my boxster red carpet using the leathermagic kit.

Very happy with the results.

I decided to mask off the carpet rather than remove it, including the door panels

It took me a couple of hours to mask it all off, and about 20 mins to apply the dye and work it in using the brush supplied with the kit.

If you look at the cost/satisfaction ratio then this is a very worthwhile project!
oldboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #15

Good job!! Looks great!!
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #16

Garage
I used the leathermagic kit also. My interior is Boxster Red. Came out GREAT! the carpeting on the rear deck and behind the seats were the worst. Looks like a new car! I took panels off I was replacing the speakers anyway and painting the black plastic Arctic Silver to match the exterior. I didn't remove the seats I left floor carpeting in and masked off.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #17

Please show pics.I have same color combo and am in need of attack on the pink carpet!
Old 09-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #18

Great work! I found the lime green gorilla tape (I think it was gorilla?) for taping off paint lines worked the best at sticking to the plastic trims. I sprayed my whole interior Boxster red again and it looks FANTASTIC! Night and day from the faded pink it was.

If you really take your time and mask off all the speaker enclosures, seats, door jams, seatbels, etc you will love it!
2010 CBR1000RR- Sold
Wilson01S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #19

I'm glad this worked out ... it looks great!

Brings back memories of dying the faded red carpet of my 1978 Spider using Ritz dye powder in our bathtub. I managed to make a pretty good mess!

The carpet did come out looking pretty good so it was worth it, even though I'm divorced now...
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #20

Take the seats out

4 bolts and 10 minutes...but cover the car with towels...easy to scratch the car removing the seats