Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2015, 08:35 AM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

Automakers to gearheads: Stop repairing cars

Didn't Apple try this a few years back....and LOST??

Automakers are supporting provisions in copyright law that could prohibit home mechanics and car enthusiasts from repairing and modifying their own vehicles.

In comments filed with a federal agency that will determine whether tinkering with a car constitutes a copyright violation, OEMs and their main lobbying organization say cars have become too complex and dangerous for consumers and third parties to handle.

Allowing them to continue to fix their cars has become "legally problematic," according to a written statement from the Auto Alliance, the main lobbying arm of automakers.

Automakers to gearheads: Stop repairing cars

Last edited by Timco; 04-21-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #2

Then Automakers can p*** off. When I buy a car it is MINE bumper to bumper, to do as I see fit.

The reason I will never again own an iphone is because they have their hand up my kilt the entire time as if I'm privileged to borrow the sacred device from them. They force software updates until they decide to stop supporting my perfectly functioning device, at which point they expect me to purchase another.

I suspect that the billions of dollars spent at auto parts stores will come in to play at some point, and this will be shot down. If not then I have purchased my last "new" car.

Too complex. Pffft. It's nothing more than a relatively good puzzle.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
This is ludicrous. What is next, I can't paint my own house? I can't mow my own lawn? Corporations have gotten too powerful when stuff like this happens.

If they go ahead with this then every thing a manufacturer makes should be guaranteed FOREVER, if I have to get repairs done by them. Where is the incentive to do a good job if I have to go to them and there is no competition from myself or an indie?
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
This is ludicrous. What is next, I can't paint my own house? I can't mow my own lawn? Corporations have gotten too powerful when stuff like this happens.

If they go ahead with this then every thing a manufacturer makes should be guaranteed FOREVER, if I have to get repairs done by them. Where is the incentive to do a good job if I have to go to them and there is no competition from myself or an indie?
Better not sing or hum or whistle your favorite song in the shower!!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #5
Registered Boxster abuser

I'm sure there are some valid points, as cars are getting more and more complicated. Look at how much aluminum is integrated in our cars and the shops that we trust to repair them after a wreak.

Besides I take every precaution to protect myself and others from harm when I work on my own cars...

Give me a 2x4 and a hammer I can fix anything!

give me a torch and I'll fix that gas leak...

I found these spacer blocks behind ECS...

Must be OK if I saw it on the internet!

We can go do some barbecuing after I'm done with this...

How is it even possible so many of us are still alive after all these years. Darwin was wrong.

lol

Last edited by healthservices; 04-21-2015 at 09:20 AM.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #6

If this happens it will have been my last new car. I've been debating for the last few years as cars become more wired and automated if I really even want a new car. For one I want to be the one in control of driving it, two, if I want to change anything about the car I can do so, three, I really don't like some company being able to track and monitor my car without my consent.

With the current direction I see a growing cottage industry of auto rebuilders taking old desirable cars and rebuilding them to like new for enthusiasts and people that don't want an iPhone like car tracking their every move and having crap forced onto them that they don't want.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:

"Corporations are people" - Mitt Romney 2012
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #8
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Corporate cronyism at its finest. The liberals will support it while claiming that the Republicans drove the small shops out of business....
Old 04-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
"Mitt Romney's a moron" - paulofto 2 minutes ago.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #10

Not a huge news to me. Already in place in China and policy established by the Ministry of Transport - not all strongly enforced however.

Any maintenance or repairs required needs to be carried out by an 'officially' appointed installer/mechanic. Technically, only the dealers are appointed by the ministry of transport here loll

If let's say you have an accident, and after scrutiny, an inspector finds that your brake pads were installed by JackThePartChanger (Indy?), both are accountable: a)the vehicle owner and b)the (illegal) installer. Insurance won't pay.. blah blah.. you see where this goes

Luck with finding a cheap and 'legal' indy/mechanic here (all illegal stuff really)

There... some culture difference for you guys lolll
Old 04-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #11

Tesla warns Model S hacks could injure drivers and its brand
Old 04-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Not a huge news to me. Already in place in China and policy established by the Ministry of Transport - not all strongly enforced however.

Any maintenance or repairs required needs to be carried out by an 'officially' appointed installer/mechanic. Technically, only the dealers are appointed by the ministry of transport here loll

If let's say you have an accident, and after scrutiny, an inspector finds that your brake pads were installed by JackThePartChanger (Indy?), both are accountable: a)the vehicle owner and b)the (illegal) installer. Insurance won't pay.. blah blah.. you see where this goes

Luck with finding a cheap and 'legal' indy/mechanic here (all illegal stuff really)

There... some culture difference for you guys lolll
"Already in place in China" this from the land of knock off Rolex's and Gucci bags. Copyright laws appear to be unenforcible in the land of tea and oranges. And here in Manitoba i can see the public car insurance monopoly getting on this bandwagon as a way to deny claims.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #13

Quote:
"Mitt Romney's a moron" - paulofto 2 minutes ago.
LMAO

That's pretty good...
Old 04-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #14

Quote:
.... as a way to deny claims.
Ding Ding Ding... brilliant isn't it!

Automotive industry.. worth more than gold if you ask me. Going to get harder for the small guys (JackThePartChanger) to get a chuck of it. Coming your way soon I'm afraid
Old 04-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #15

Quote:
"Already in place in China" this from the land of knock off Rolex's and Gucci bags. Copyright laws appear to be unenforcible in the land of tea and oranges. And here in Manitoba i can see the public car insurance monopoly getting on this bandwagon as a way to deny claims.

There are always ways to make the stupid laws implemented work, look at Singapore...

There is a law that requires everyone to flush the public toilet but no way to enforce it. So what do they do? Make it mandatory that all public bathrooms have automatic flush.

There is a law against spitting out gum. Okay no way to enforce it but to make the sale of gum illegal.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #16
I am my own mechanic....

From another site. How mfgs can get around this like JD did.

"In a particularly spectacular display of corporate delusion, John Deere—the world’s largest agricultural machinery maker —told the Copyright Office that farmers don’t own their tractors. Because computer code snakes through the DNA of modern tractors, farmers receive “an implied license for the life of the vehicle to operate the vehicle."
Old 04-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:

I wouldn't be too quick to point the finger at the corps as much as I would our own government that permits this kind of behavior. They like it. It gives the government more control in the end.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #18

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I could see them requiring you to be a red seal mechanic to work on them.
I am a red seal millwright, I work on overhead cranes and hoists. By law here you need 10 000 hours expierence to inspect them and 8,000 hours to repair them. You also need to be familiar with the brand of hoist. That being said how many times has somebody killed some one with their vehicle due too shorty repair. If they want to do anything ban cheap aftermarket parts. How to oem brakes compare to cheap brands out there?

Any way you go it will be hard to enforce
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post

Any way you go it will be hard to enforce
Well, not that difficult.

Say your newish car was involved in an accident serious enough to get the law involved. All they have to do is check the damaged cars mileage, check when it was last serviced (easily on line from the manufacturer's data base) and then deduce if the servicing was up to date (all OK your honour) or, because the owner was completing the services himself it was overdue, therefore technically not safe to drive. Insurance companies would not need much more info to refuse the claim on "safety inspections and service out of date therefore claim denied" Of course the kicker would be if they found the installation of non genuine parts.

This scenario could be enacted by the insurance companies before they write out the policy "mileage of the car sir - one moment while I check with the manufacturer' database to verify"
Old 04-22-2015, 06:31 AM   #20

If the people are sheep, they will accept that level of government control in a Democratic society, but if there is anyone that values Freedom and does not accept total control by the government, we'll be in Texas cleaning our guns.

I suspect some troubling times are ahead before the Public decides they have had enough and cuts the legs out from under the government because they clearly represent their own desires and not that of the public they are supposed to represent.

I would not buy a car that has that stipulation.

Just wait till the Electric car battery crisis occurs, that will shake the publics confidence for blindly believing the current Electrics are good for the environment, but thats a whole other can of worms.

Life is becoming like the Movies "Idiocracy", a stupid representation of the future that we are starting to resemble more everyday.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 04-22-2015 at 06:37 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote