Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #1

Beeping "Beep...beep"

Hopefully someone can help me. I recently repaired the drivers door window cable with the bicycle adjuster fix on my 2002 base boxster. It works perfectly now but when I unlock the car the horn beeps twice.

Everything locks properly with the remote and all the windows work as they should but I still get the annoying "beep...beep" upon unlocking the car doors or trunk. It is intermittent as sometimes I don't get the "beep...beep" but 90% of the time if beeps. Also the dash door lock button light stays on.

From the reading I have done it appears this is a fault in the alarm system. It may be a micro switch in the door. Does anyone know where to start looking for a fix? Exactly where are the micro switches in the door?

Thanks

Old 07-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #2

Hi,

if it beeps while closing the car via remote control a door, hood, or trunk contact isn't closed. So you have to check the cables and contacts.

Regards
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewd3 View Post
Hopefully someone can help me. I recently repaired the drivers door window cable with the bicycle adjuster fix on my 2002 base boxster. It works perfectly now but when I unlock the car the horn beeps twice.

Everything locks properly with the remote and all the windows work as they should but I still get the annoying "beep...beep" upon unlocking the car doors or trunk. It is intermittent as sometimes I don't get the "beep...beep" but 90% of the time if beeps. Also the dash door lock button light stays on.

From the reading I have done it appears this is a fault in the alarm system. It may be a micro switch in the door. Does anyone know where to start looking for a fix? Exactly where are the micro switches in the door?

Thanks
Can you post the link to the bicycle adjuster fix? Thanks.

Last edited by kefboy; 07-15-2014 at 01:40 PM. Reason: subscribe
kefboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
Usercpy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kefboy View Post
Can you post the link to the bicycle adjuster fix? Thanks.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/25704-window-regulator-permanent-fix-stretched-cable.html
Old 07-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
Usercpy

Garage
Quote:

Thanks
I have exact same issue.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #6

A double means that the alarm system is detecting a fault when you're locking the car. If you have access to a Durametric, you can narrow down the fault's source. Wouldn't be surprised in one of the door lock micro switches went bad.

Last edited by thom4782; 07-15-2014 at 06:13 PM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:21 AM   #7

The alarm doesn't beep when I set the alarm. It double beeps when unlocking the doors or trunk. From what I have been able to research I do know it probably is a micro switch. The question is "where are these switches located in the door"? I haven't been able to find any information on their location or how to replace them.

I don't have access to a Durametric. Other than taking it to a shop or the dealer is there a method for a DIY repair?
Old 07-16-2014, 05:43 AM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
The alarm is automatic with locking and unlocking. As others have said, a double beep is something not closed or a bad switch

Without a durametric or a dealer reading the error codes, it would be trial and error to find a bad switch.

Make sure the arm rest compartment is closed. I sometimes don't push it until it latches and get the double beep
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:00 AM   #9

JayG, thanks for the assistance, but from what I have researched, the alarm will beep once when locking the car if something is open to alert you to the fact that something is amiss and the alarm is not properly set. To clarify, this is not the case in my instance. Everything is closed properly and the alarm doesn't beep on locking and locks the car properly.

The problem is when unlocking the car the alarm double beeps. From what I have read this may be a result of a defective micro-switch. It may be I didn't put the door back properly when I fixed the window cable. I am looking for a DIY method to test the switches or any information on where they may be located in the door. It may not be possible to diagnose without a Durametric or a dealer reading the codes but I thought I would ask to see if anyone here has a solution other than a trip to the dealer.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2014, 06:02 AM   #10

Quote:
The alarm doesn't beep when I set the alarm. It double beeps when unlocking the doors or trunk.
That means the alarm system isn't active because a switch (doors, trunk, hood, glovebox) isn't closed.

There are 2 door micro switches. One that tell that the door is open (part of the locking mechnism):

and another one in the door handle that tells the window to move down if you want to open the door:

Both are monitored by the alarm system.

Regards
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #11

I have the same intermittent problem, double beep on unlocking. Is there any way to test the micro switch without a dura metric tool? I don't want to try to guess which switch or what side.
juicepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #12

A single beep on locking means something's open (like oddments tray) but the alarm is still active. It's the double-beep that indicates the alarm is not active due to something gone awry.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #13

Beeping "Beep...beep" lolllll

You got to love this place. Funny thread title... puts on a smile thanks

Luck with the bad locking sensor hunting mate. Surely you'll get to this one easy.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #14

I am replying to this thread because I have the same intermittent problem. Sometimes when I unlock the car, I get the "beep beep".

I do not have a durametric but am considering buying one for this and other reasons.

I have 2 questions. Where are all of the micro switches located? I think they are in the following locations
1) Driver Door
2) Passenger Door
3) Center console Door
4) Radio
5) Gas Door
6) Front Trunk
7) Rear Door

Q1 - Will the durametric say which is open?

Q2 - Is there any harm to ignoring the beep beep (because you didn't know it happened until you return to your car after whatever you were doing)?

Thanks in advance. I have a 2001 Boxster S.

John
jpc763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #15

I always have a single beep on locking the car (and yes, everything is closed including center console), occasional double beep when unlocking or opening trunk/frunk. Plus I have also noticed the central locking system light on the dash button be off, constant on or blinking on/off, sometimes during the same drive.

Electronics can be a ********************.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #16

My Beater Boxster has been double beeping since the day I got it. I recently purchased a Durametric cable to troubleshoot a CEL issue. During the diagnostics the test results produced information regarding my alarm system. I haven't even begun looking into this yet as I'm still messing with my iPad/iPhone interface.

Check out my post on the Durametric and you'll get an idea what alarm parameters are being tested.

Good luck!

Beater Boxster ODB2 readout.. Ugh!!

Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote