Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2014, 05:33 AM   #1

Beep on lock after overfilling gas?

Hi,

Yesterday I noticed when I pulled into the A&P parking lot that my alarm did a single beep on lock. I unlocked and locked again and heard a single beep.

5 mins before that, I had stopped at a gas station to get gas and the guy in an effort to round the $ off had over filled about 40 cents worth which caused the excess gas to overflow. I got out and noticed that there was an overflow hole there thankfully and most of the gas drained out onto the concrete below. I had him wipe off the gas he spilt on the paint and drove on.

5 mins before that, I had just put the top down since the sun was out and it was a pleasant day and the top was down the rest of the day.

I did not see any other problems with the car, drives fine and no errors/lights.

Could the top being down or the gas having overflowed caused the beep? Never heard it before. I have a wifi OBD2 reader courtesy of Timco here. Will that read alarm codes as well?

Thanks!

amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:49 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
The beep is a warning that a hatch is open and the car is not secure. Top down or unlocked gas fill door can cause it.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:56 AM   #3

I don't get a beep when my top is down when locking. For me it has always been the center console, if I get a beep I unlock the car, and then open and re-close the center console, and then it is good.

I'm not sure where the microswitch is for the gas cap but I guess if gas got sloshed on it it could have degraded and now failing to report that the tank is locked. Or some gas got on the servo or whatever it is that locks the gas tank when the car is lock.

As a test, you could try to open the gas cover after you have locked the car to see if it indeed did lock.

But the first test I would try is to check the doors, front and rear trunk, and especially the center console, to make sure they are securely latched.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:56 AM   #4

Garage
Make sure your center console lid is completely shut (press and listen for click) I'm sure you did, but also make sure your decklid/frunk are completely closed. Other than that, just the top being down shouldn't make it beep. Maybe make sure the top is completely down, or raise it and lower it again. I don't think it has anything to do with over filling gas, as I have overfilled mine many times.
OklahomaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:02 AM   #5

Yes, I read about the center console on the forum and the trunk and frunk. Everything is closed.

The one suspicion I do have is that when you lock the car, the gas filler lid usually locks too. There is a little stalk that comes out and latches the fill door. In my case, that little stalk moves but has not locked since the day I bought the car. Since the stalk moved a little, it may have closed the micro-switch and caused the alarm system to believe it was closed. Maybe the overfill damaged that micro-switch, I will have to do some investigation to see if the latch is still moving and try a few things tonight.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
I had stopped at a gas station to get gas and the guy in an effort to round the $ off had over filled about 40 cents worth which caused the excess gas to overflow.
What guy? Are you implying that there are still gas stations with attendants? Or did this incident happen in 1960?

Just wonderin'.........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #7

Yeah, I live in NJ - its state law here. Even though, when I ride my motorcycle, I always end up pumping my own gas.

Timeline: A brief history of why you can't pump your own gas in New Jersey | NJ.com

Cant say it is not nice in the winters when its freezing outside and you dont have to get out. I tip them a buck and they clean the windscreen and pump my gas. I feel like i help preserve some jobs too

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
What guy? Are you implying that there are still gas stations with attendants? Or did this incident happen in 1960?

Just wonderin'.........

TO
Old 10-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post

Just wonderin'.........

TO
Oregon, no self service- state law

It is weird to have someone pump your gas. I remember as a kid , it was cool to pump the gas in to the car. not any more
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #9
Luckyed

Garage
Same thing in the Garden State.
No self serve.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
Damn Yankee

Garage
I honestly did not know that there was a law in some states prohibiting self serve.

Can't remember the last time I saw an attendant at a gas station. I was a part-time pump jockey back in college, and that was in the early 70's.

I remember being out with my Dad, and him pulling his big sedan into Poust's Service Station. Two, sometimes three, uniformed attendants (with caps) swarmed over his car; filling his tank, checking his oil, water, and wiper fluid levels, and even his tire pressure. Two bucks gave us the service and 8 gallons of gas.

Just reminiscin'.......

TO

TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote