Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #1

Engine/Tranny swap 986 into 914

I inherited another 914 recently and wondered about the feasibilty of transplanting a 3.2L Boxster S engine/tranny into this 1973. I currently drive a stock '98 Boxster as my daily driver and have a friend that drives a 2003 S which is way faster than my '98. I've also restored a 1970 1.7L 914 that is all stock. Has anyone attempted a Boxster S engine/tranny/ swap in an old 914 ? Not afraid of welding and manufacturing but don't really want to cut into the trunk or firewall if possible. Want to keep A/C because its too hot in Sacramento for 5 months of the year. Does anybody know the gross dimensions of what I'm looking for ?

Old 07-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #2

Garage
Boxster engine is 36" wide & 22" long. Before bastardizing your 914 I would see what aircooled technology can do for you.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #3

Garage
Too much work? Why not just install an Aircooled 3.2. Great motor no radiator and you can use the stock trans.
I would install a front oil cooler.
You will like it!

Van
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
Beginner

Garage
Why not an LSx or similar V8? It would certainly be a sleeper.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #5

Or a Jake Raby built four.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #6

Thanks I have considered all of the above suggestions at some point in the last six months since parking this car.
Here is my reply/concerns:
Big engine swap or swap in general is always bastardizing your car. I'm not afraid to be a bastard... I have been most of my life.
Not sure that an air-cooled engine is the best way to go especially in Sacramento where you would want to run your AC too.
Sleepers are always the best, but V-8 conversions tend to be costly and most people (there are exceptions of course) don't do a very good job.
There are plenty of good salvage Boxsters out there with intact motor drivetrains/cable shifters/radiators/EPU's, even 3.2L S's. Check out the Salvage Auctions.
Even the early Boxster dash/instrument panel perfectly matches up to the old 914's.
Just looking to the group to see if someone knows if someone has gone down that particular road before.
Don't mind pain and work but would like to know if someone else has suffered first.... makes me feel better.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Boxster engine is 36" wide & 22" long. Before bastardizing your 914 I would see what aircooled technology can do for you.
Thanks prodriver for the info , Would you happen to know what the dimensions are on transmission to the transaxle hubs on a six speed? Or even a five speed ? (If they are different).
In a perfect world I would need to only map/manufacture the motor and transmission mounts and modify the header/exhaust/ and mate the transaxles/hubs. Like I said before I would like to keep the firewall and trunk intact and hopefully keep the unibody intact.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:38 AM   #8

Having modern good working AC has little to do with the type of engine in the car. The AC system is a stand alone system that has to have matched components to work properly. The engine only drives the compressor. If you want to stay Porsche power I would go with a 3.0 or 3.2 911 air cooled motor. I built a GT clone with a 3.0 the car was fun . If you want to stray outside of Porsche power and want water cooled I'd go four cylinder Subaru there are plenty of conversions out there. Decent power good reliability and low center of gravity. And as stated earlier a Jake Raby built four might be the ultimate sleeper he builds great stuff.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
The AC system is a stand alone system that has to have matched components to work properly. The engine only drives the compressor. If you want to stay Porsche power I would go with a 3.0 or 3.2 911 air cooled motor. I built a GT clone with a 3.0 the car was fun .
Thanks, I am still weighing my options. I get my garage lift installed in September then I'm ready to begin. I know quite a few people, esp from 914 World have done similar conversions. Do you have a recommendation for book/guide/manual reference ? Certainly the All Porsche Power appeals to me.
Couple questions about your conversion: What mods did you do for the shift linkage ? The difference shifting my 914 and Boxster is well... like the difference between the moon and sun. That was one of the considerations. I know there are shift kits but a bit expensive. Did you add AC to your ride and how much did it cost? I see stand alone systems easily costing >$1500 in parts alone. Trying to be smart about the economics too... "financial planning" along with the design planning.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #10

Too hot in sacramento for 5 months? Did you grow up in Alaska?

I've got a 3.3L flat six in the garage that needs a new home..

I would agree with the others, stick with air cooled, and why even a 6,
too much weight in this car is no fun.

Why turn a 914 into a boxster, with that heavy motor, you'll need P/S, P/B too,
and A/C needs a radiator and so does the motor. Just get a boxster,

I am told they are worthless without an engine for all who wanted to buy mine,
the engine is the only thing of value, and so now you have to dig up a boxster motor, it will come with a car too for not much more.

I mean you can do anything, just some things make no sense.

Last edited by nimblemotorsports; 07-12-2014 at 06:28 AM.
nimblemotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #11

Garage
If you want to do it a 2.5 flat six would be great, could be technically difficult but that engine would suit the car great! A cool way to have something a little diffrent than what guys usually do.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #12

I've got a 3.3L flat six in the garage that needs a new home..

I would agree with the others, stick with air cooled, and why even a 6,
too much weight in this car is no fun.

Why turn a 914 into a boxster, with that heavy motor, you'll need P/S, P/B too,
and A/C needs a radiator and so does the motor. Just get a boxster,

[/QUOTE]

Already have a boxster. The photo you posted is hella funny.....conversions gone really bad.
Everybody has an opinion about what they think is best in their conversion.
And everybody is an idiot if you don't do it 'their way', until someone does it right, now suddenly they are a genius. I'm neither. Just trying to gather information on what has been tried. All conversions are problematic projects.

The intent of my post was to see if anyone in this forum has run into someone that has done it or at least tried it.If you know of someone locally, pass it on. The swap has been done in Austrailia, and Switzerland, and a totally ridiculous makeover (IMHO)by Wicked Garage, which really wasn't an engine swap at all. I would think that you would NOT need power brakes, power steering. Renegade has stuck an LS-5 and boxster 6 speed tranny without PS, PB.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #13
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotorsports View Post
I mean you can do anything, just some things make no sense.
Good grief!

All this car needs is this guy behind the wheel to make it complete:

In memory of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, a true innovator.

TO

Last edited by TeamOxford; 07-12-2014 at 08:10 PM.
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ri-Chard View Post
Thanks, I am still weighing my options. I get my garage lift installed in September then I'm ready to begin. I know quite a few people, esp from 914 World have done similar conversions. Do you have a recommendation for book/guide/manual reference ? Certainly the All Porsche Power appeals to me.
Couple questions about your conversion: What mods did you do for the shift linkage ? The difference shifting my 914 and Boxster is well... like the difference between the moon and sun. That was one of the considerations. I know there are shift kits but a bit expensive. Did you add AC to your ride and how much did it cost? I see stand alone systems easily costing >$1500 in parts alone. Trying to be smart about the economics too... "financial planning" along with the design planning.
914world is where I got smart on my conversion great bunch of guys over there. Many people say you have to modify ( bend ) the shift rod when installing a six but for whatever reason I did not have to do that. To my knowledge the shift rod had never been altered and it fit fine and shifted great. It also is based on what type of exhaust you are running. I was running headers with no heat exchanger tin so more room. A great 901 transmission is still an old piece and will never compare to modern transmissions. Dr. Evil on 914 world is a great resource for 901 transmission parts and rebuilds. No I did not add AC to my car but was thinking about it. Go to any hot rod forum or just do a search for under dash hot rod AC systems. All modern and pretty much self contained just find one that physically fits under the dash. I purchased ( and still have ) a Porsche 993 fender condensor, my plan was going to be to install it in the space in front of the rear passenger side tire and have a fan on it. That would have kept the AC lines relatively short as they would go from the compressor to the condensor and then to the under dash unit. Because my car didn't have heat I was going to run the rubber AC lines in the passenger side heat duct tube in the rocker. Good luck with your project.

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
986 swap , engine dimensions