Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #1

Hurricane damge = wet immobiliser

A topical subject now that hurricane season arrived. A wet immobilizer under the driver's seat = $3600 repair- according to Forum posts using Dealer installed new parts.
I have read about a kit to relocate the immobiliser to the firewall behind the driver's seat. I can't find any info on this project. Is there an extension cable that can be bought/fabricated ? What precautions are required when disconnecting/reconnecting.
Grateful for any link or suggestion where to look.Yes, I have tried "Search" but I must be using the wrong search terms.
Thanks

Last edited by Gelbster; 07-10-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Clear your drain holes.

There. I saved a lot of people $3600.

Sorry, nothing useful to contribute
If nothing else, elevating it on spacers may at least provide some protection.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Not sure why a wet immobilizer repair is $3,600? Used sets of immobilizer/ECU/key can be found on eBay for under $1,000. Just swap out the old and install the new. I have two complete sets and can swap all three components in about 15 mins.

Not aware of any kits to relocate the immobilizer, the ones that I've seen are all custom.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #4
2001 Boxster S

If it gets wet, ECU doctors. Less than $1,000.

Sorry, no idea how to relocate the ECU.
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #5

Hi everyone, I think that this may be VERY timely information.

We know that 996s, and Boxsters more than anything, are prone to have the M535 Immobilizer get water damaged due to leaving the convertible top open during a rain, a flood, or just by the accumulation of water behind the convertible top rain drains. (We know, we have worked on 100's.)

The location of the Immobilizer in the case isn't good, and relocating the unit is too much hassle and can be very costly. (We've looked into it.)

We are in the process of making a water-proof enclosure in order to PREVENT the damage to this module if/when water gets into the vehicle.

We'd wanted to wait longer before announcing this but we thought that it would be good to get your feedback right now.

Here is a form that you can read a little about the project, and you can add yourself to a Waiting List for the Porsche Immobilizer Water-Proof Case.

https://ecudoctors.wufoo.com/forms/porsche-boxster-996-immobilizer-waterproof-case/

Please share this with anyone that could benefit from this project.
ECU Doctors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #6

Nice. Whats your ballpark pricepoint for something like this?
Old 07-09-2014, 04:27 AM   #7
pjv

Garage
Had an experience like this many years ago with my 3 litre BMW saloon. Was in the mountains in the ski season, had the car parked on a steep slope, nose upwards, when there was a torrential downpour overnight. Next morning, came out to find about 4 inches of water in the back of the car, and the engine ECU was under the back seat, fully submerged (door seal had leaked). Had the car towed to the resort garage, who told me that the ECU was dead for sure. In desperation, I took the ECU back to the ski lodge, dismantled it, dried everything in the lodge kitchen oven on low temperature. Reassembled it, reinstalled it in the car. To everyone's amazement (mine included) it started as though nothing had happened. I drove it for another couple of years trouble free until I sold it. I suppose the ECU survived because it would have been an analog unit at that time, and I did not put any power through it.

Last edited by pjv; 07-09-2014 at 04:30 AM.
pjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:12 AM   #8

rp17, although we were suggested to retail it for $300 we are going for $200 to make it very accessible.

pjv, Luckily you noticed that the car had water, and what you did was perfect.

The water damage problem with Boxster's and 996's is so "sneaky" that you cannot tell if your car has water under the driver seat until you run the car for a few days and something shorts out in the CLU Immobilizer.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:16 AM   #9

One way drain plug in floorboard?

I think the majority of the issue is the location of the immobilizer -- specifically in
the lowest part of the floor board area.

Is there a one way drain plug we could add to the drivers floor board under/near the
immobilizer which would at least protect the unit from sitting in standing water.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
I think the majority of the issue is the location of the immobilizer -- specifically in
the lowest part of the floor board area.

Is there a one way drain plug we could add to the drivers floor board under/near the
immobilizer which would at least protect the unit from sitting in standing water.

Mike
yes

those are being fitted mostly onto 996s by an indy here in Shanghai. The Cab guys all have it apparently. Small vacuum valve that plugs onto the car's vac using a T adapter of some sort. Opens only when vacuum pressure goes away (e.g. car turned off). A $125 retrofit item here lol

Mine is garaged, and can't recall when I drove it in the rain last (never?!)
Old 07-09-2014, 05:55 AM   #11

The drain is a good idea as well, if the car is kept clean.

Otherwise small debris like receipts, loose coins, and others could potentially clog the drain.

Another thing to consider is that the sludge and dirt from the road could also clog the drain from the outside.

I really like the drain idea, but we want to prevent this problem with a "bullet-proof" solution.