Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #21

I used to live in Beijing we would go to Silk Alley every weekend and buy watches which of course were copies. There were a lot of beautiful watches and if you knew what to look for you could get some really nice ones. I probably had 50 or so at one time but eventually gave them all away. I haven't wore a watch in years since I started using smartphones.

Rick

SoCalBlackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #22

I don't own a watch. No interest at all.

My cell phone tells time just fine.

/
Old 07-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #23

Garage
Yep. Total vintage watch nerd. Particularly with Omegas. Latest is a '68 Omega Dynamic with a brown and grey face and original Omega band. Self high-five. Watches-to-buy-dot-com. Bad bad bad addiction feeder for those that love vintage watches. No affiliation.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #24

Get a Sub and be done with it.
OKCShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post
I don't own a watch. No interest at all.

My cell phone tells time just fine.

/
I'm with you on this one. I've rarely worn a watch ever since I started carrying a cell phone. I used to wear long sleeved dress shirt and use to hate wearing a watch since the long sleeve would always get caught on the watch.

However, I do own several watches and one I do cherish is the one that came with my car. I've ony used this once.

cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCShooter View Post
Meh. Dunno. Have one. Never wear it. Do wear a Datejust quite a bit. Not sure why I like it more than the Sub. Still....oldie Omegas are the best/fun.

Last edited by Tucker2; 07-08-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Tucker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker2 View Post
Yep. Total vintage watch nerd. Particularly with Omegas. Latest is a '68 Omega Dynamic with a brown and grey face and original Omega band. Self high-five. Watches-to-buy-dot-com. Bad bad bad addiction feeder for those that love vintage watches. No affiliation.
For me my grail Omegas would be the original Constellation (pie pan dial) and pre-moon Speedy Pro. Both are incredibly overpriced now due to high demand.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:26 AM   #28
2001 Boxster S

Love 'em watches. My mission is to get 1 of each brand that I like. Only mechanicals for me. I like my cars German and my watches Swiss!

Unfortunately, I stopped at 4...when I got my Box. Need to save up budget for possible repairs! The wife allows only 1 high maintenance hobby at a time!
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:27 AM   #29

Since you guys seem to be some watch gurus, do you guys have any suggestions for a decent durable watch under $400. I'm not too big on watches aside from a few g-shocks(I'm young.lol) and a vintage Seiko from Saudi Arabia from my father. I'm basically looking for something I can wear to the beach then wear to dinner afterwards and not feel stupid about having a plastic watch looking on my wrist.

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:34 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_mota View Post
Since you guys seem to be some watch gurus, do you guys have any suggestions for a decent durable watch under $400. I'm not too big on watches aside from a few g-shocks(I'm young.lol) and a vintage Seiko from Saudi Arabia from my father. I'm basically looking for something I can wear to the beach then wear to dinner afterwards and not feel stupid about having a plastic watch looking on my wrist.
Some pretty cool member here is making & selling those beauties. Your support would be appreciated!

Contact member MitchSF for a fellow boxster deal (I'm only guessing!)

http://www.ocean7watchco.com/store/
Old 07-09-2014, 05:37 AM   #31

No watch for me, cheap or expensive. I have a bad habit of banging things that are on my wrists. Ultimately this leads to breakage or loss.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:42 AM   #32

there goes my watch

And this is what it looks/feels like when you crank it

Old 07-09-2014, 06:23 AM   #33

Thanks, Timco, for acknowledging the possibility of a watch lady.

I have one watch, but it's a favorite, and it took months to actually locate and purchase. I have a Cartier Basculante, which is a variation on the classic Cartier tank watches. It's a reissue of an original design from the 1930's. Unfortunately, the women's size was only made in quartz.

Form Follows Form: The Cartier Tank Basculante - Part 1 - TimeZone
Scroll down for the movie, it does cool stuff.

I don't pine after a Patek or any of the other big brands, but I do very much enjoy my unique watch, which goes unnoticed 99.9% of the time.

I'm going for this look :

Old 07-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #34

^Women who wear Cartier (be it quartz or mechanical) have great taste.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #35

Garage
I have a bunch of watches and love to find a deal on quality pieces. I am a big fan of Citizen Eco drive. Latest finds are the Swiss made Zodiac Racer for the car geek. Carbon face, Ti case, and race pedal buttons : ) My other daily watch is a TechnoMarine Cruise Chrono. I do plan to buy a smart watch someday but they need to have a classic look to it and not the computer look they seem to have now.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 AM   #36

Quote:
Here's the problem with that price point. Most watch brands (that advertise) are not going to sell you a movement (the heart of the watch) that is anything more than $5-$20 produced by the tens of hundreds of thousands unless you spend over a grand or so.

Yes, for $400, all the way up to $~1,000 like in the case of names like Tag Heuer, the big watch brands are selling you a 'throw away' quartz engine. Throw away meaning the cost to repair is easily greater than the cost to simply swap in a new battery powered movement. And no matter who makes the movement, the Swiss, Japan or China, it will never cost more than ~$20 make a quartz movement. Actually way less when you factor in mass production. Which means you are paying an insane mark up for the case, cheap glass, and bracelet. So don't spend a lot on these you're not getting much value. You're just paying for a ton of advertising and celebrity spokes models. But don't feel too bad, once you get into the higher end automatic movements (doesn't require a battery) then the mark ups become obscene. Take for instance the automatic chronograph seen on many $1,500 to $3,000 watches by nearly every mid to high end brand. That's probably $50-$150 "off the shelf" movement, meaning it wasn't produced in-house. They simpy ordered it from a supplier, put their own brand on it, made a few very minor decorative changes and presto.... $2,000 - $3,000 watch. That's the watch industry in a nutshell.

So if you're okay with wearing a quartz watch (the $5 movement) then I would simply suggest looking on the discount websites like Overstock and WorldofWatches (they have their own cable channel I think in Florida markets) and pick a watch with a decent warranty, typically the watches that say Swiss Made on the dial, that means that as a % of parts and labor a majority (but not all) was manufactured/assembled in Switzerland. If no country is listed on the dial then it means its made in China so be careful about overpaying more than you already are. Especially the quartz chronographs, even if Swiss Made it's most likely an ETA G10 movement which costs about $10-$20 to make which the brands use as justification to double, or triple the price of the watch yet they're not really using any better materials for the rest of watch like the case or glass.

Some of these Luminox (Swiss Made) are as cheap as $200-$300 and seem to fit an active person.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-09-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Some pretty cool member here is making & selling those beauties. Your support would be appreciated!

Contact member MitchSF for a fellow boxster deal (I'm only guessing!)

http://www.ocean7watchco.com/store/
I checked out the site and going to be keeping this in mind thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Here's the problem with that price point. Most watch brands (that advertise) are not going to sell you a movement (the heart of the watch) that is anything more than $5-$20 produced by the tens of hundreds of thousands unless you spend over a grand or so.

Yes, for $400, all the way up to $~1,000 like in the case of names like Tag Heuer, the big watch brands are selling you a 'throw away' quartz engine. Throw away meaning the cost to repair is easily greater than the cost to simply swap in a new battery powered movement. And no matter who makes the movement, the Swiss, Japan or China, it will never cost more than ~$20 make a quartz movement. Actually way less when you factor in mass production. Which means you are paying an insane mark up for the case, cheap glass, and bracelet. So don't spend a lot on these you're not getting much value. You're just paying for a ton of advertising and celebrity spokes models. But don't feel too bad, once you get into the higher end automatic movements (doesn't require a battery) then the mark ups become obscene. Take for instance the automatic chronograph seen on many $1,500 to $3,000 watches by nearly every mid to high end brand. That's probably $50-$150 "off the shelf" movement, meaning it wasn't produced in-house. They simpy ordered it from a supplier, put their own brand on it, made a few very minor decorative changes and presto.... $2,000 - $3,000 watch. That's the watch industry in a nutshell.

So if you're okay with wearing a quartz watch (the $5 movement) then I would simply suggest looking on the discount websites like Overstock and WorldofWatches (they have their own cable channel I think in Florida markets) and pick a watch with a decent warranty, typically the watches that say Swiss Made on the dial, that means that as a % of parts and labor a majority (but not all) was manufactured/assembled in Switzerland. If no country is listed on the dial then it means its made in China so be careful about overpaying more than you already are. Especially the quartz chronographs, even if Swiss Made it's most likely an ETA G10 movement which costs about $10-$20 to make which the brands use as justification to double, or triple the price of the watch yet they're not really using any better materials for the rest of watch like the case or glass.

Some of these Luminox (Swiss Made) are as cheap as $200-$300 and seem to fit an active person.
Yeah an automatic is what Iwas looking around for. After having my father's old Seiko auto, the movement and the feel of it surpasses any quartz that's in my price range at the moment. I appreciate this input very much. I'll probably hold off on a watch until next year so I can find something I'm absolutely crazy about rather then just settling. I can't justify spending $2000 on a watch right now since that money is going into a new suspension for the box.lol

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #38

Quote:
I checked out the site and going to be keeping this in mind thank you!

Yeah an automatic is what Iwas looking around for. After having my father's old Seiko auto, the movement and the feel of it surpasses any quartz that's in my price range at the moment. I appreciate this input very much. I'll probably hold off on a watch until next year so I can find something I'm absolutely crazy about rather then just settling. I can't justify spending $2000 on a watch right now since that money is going into a new suspension for the box.lol
I can't justify spending $2,000 on an automatic $100 movement no matter how flush with cash I may be. And no way in hell can I justify spending $5,000 on a watch with essentially a $700 movement and parts no matter how good the resale. Watch branding imho has always been about 'status' but you don't really get the engineering (in most cases) to justify the luxury pricing. Most are simply made on a high tech assembly line just like the quartz watches, there's little old school workmanship like on a Franck Muller Tourbillon for instance or cutting-edge stuff like on this insane Dubuis with four balance wheels..

But I get the collectors, at least they are dealing with finite, hard to come by quantities. But the problem with collections is that the more you use the more you hurt the value of that collectible.

Invicta seems to be the only budget brand out there that will put a Swiss Made automatic movement into an inexpensive watch. It does the job for $200-$300, some of their watches are even COSC certified as far as keeping time but probably not worth the mark up for that seal. And I wouldn't put too much faith in the warranty of any automatic watch at that price point, so don't drop it.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-09-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #39
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCShooter View Post
+1 on the submariner
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #40
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Look at Invicta. You can get some great deals on shopnbc. They still have normal size watches. Too many places just have the ginormous oversized ones now

Invicta makes some really nice automatic models that are reasonable priced
A lot of them have sapphire crystals as well

I have Had a few for many years and they work great

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 07-09-2014 at 03:42 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote