Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2015, 10:53 AM   #121

Garage
Yeah, I saw that too. And have stated my disagreement with it. But its his car. I believe he stated it was just some leftover scrap metal he used to quickly make a cover. But if you look at the pic of the Renegade Car, he still has his center console in tact, his stock carpet in tact. Might have a lil extra buldge but you wont need to lose soo much cabin space.

The first photo I posted, is Martsinks photo also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualist View Post
Sorry Josh, but after seeing Martsink's photo....

I thought that was space that I need as I haven't seen John's firewall fitted, looks like I jumped to the wrong conclusion on that, sorry bud.
And actually, I'd love to see John's firewall, or even Renegades... I have yet to see any photos of these done. Just read up that most of the stock stuff can fit back with some mods. Like the top cover, cut out the hole for the TB/Pipe and the cover fits.

Last edited by DarkStar; 09-29-2015 at 10:57 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:14 PM   #122

Garage
Send a message via AIM to philipjayadler Send a message via Yahoo to philipjayadler Send a message via Skype™ to philipjayadler
This is the ugliest damn thing I have ever seen! Who the "!!!!!"
would cut up a car this way, let alone a Porsche?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
philipjayadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:46 PM   #123

Garage
You obviously don't know what your even talking about. There is nothing ugly about it. Maybe Martsink's design of a firewall, but that was his choice. And what does Porsche have to do with it?

Stock 5.3's have put down to the ground, 250whp, where as a stock Boxster S will see 200. Stock 5.3's with just a turbocharger and tune can and have put down quad digit HP numbers and even more Torque, no internal modifications. And to input a LSx into a Boxster, only mild cutting and rewelding to "in the way" unibody is required. Its been done a few times already, and as BoxsterLS376 has shown, has been done to easilly gain 450whp (Wheel Horsepower, not Flywheel) to look stock, and almost sound stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipjayadler View Post
This is the ugliest damn thing I have ever seen! Who the "!!!!!"
would cut up a car this way, let alone a Porsche?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
In Fact, John does a lovely job to make it look as stock as possible.

Last edited by DarkStar; 09-29-2015 at 12:57 PM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #124

Anything New on the Audi Swap in the spirit of SEMA opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
Thanks for joining in the discussion GTA_G20 (and everyone else of course!)

I will share some shots of progress soon, we just need a little more time, we have a very important project to finish for a client that needs to be out the door before serious time can be put back onto the Porsche.

Hopefully after the first kit is out there it will bring in enough to warrant it getting priority over other projects but at this point it has to be considered a expense until proven otherwise.

Here is my scan of the transmission for 3D CAD purposes:

And the front of the engine bay:

The ABZ oil pan:

Once the modeling is complete the production will be relatively easy. I understand the speculation in regards to "Vaporware" but in my experience once you have a professional set of models/drawings, that is a large portion of the work, especially when you have you own CNC machining equipment and software that can machine toolpaths from the data directly like we do.

Accurate 3D scanning has really sped up the process for us and some of the work we have been doing for clients. I'm confident this project will be no different.

Now I know it isn't nearly enough, but it is proof we are working on this! Thanks again everyone for your interest.

This will be a clean professional kit when finished.
Hey Nerv anything new to report on the progress of the Audi swap?
bc993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:59 AM   #125

The silence is deafening~

I wouldn't hold your breath.
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:58 PM   #126

Well it would seem I have to come on here to see if there have been comments, as I'm not being notified.

Progress? Well, we keeping putting hours into this as time permits. I wanted to have this finished by now so guys could get the kits to work on the cars during the winter. Oh well, as soon as it is running, you will all be notified.

Don't worry, this is on project that isn't getting dropped, we have too many hours into it now! Hahaha!

At least she'll be pretty. So what if almost no one can see the engine? The owner will know what she looks like, maybe carry around a binder with photos so they can show others if they ask

Be in touch!

Dave@Nerv
Nerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #127

Quote:
Well it would seem I have to come on here to see if there have been comments, as I'm not being notified.

Progress? Well, we keeping putting hours into this as time permits. I wanted to have this finished by now so guys could get the kits to work on the cars during the winter. Oh well, as soon as it is running, you will all be notified.

Don't worry, this is on project that isn't getting dropped, we have too many hours into it now! Hahaha!

At least she'll be pretty. So what if almost no one can see the engine? The owner will know what she looks like, maybe carry around a binder with photos so they can show others if they ask

Be in touch!

Dave@Nerv
One would think like all of us who have put forth an interest in your concept/kit, you would have already created motor mounts and installed the engine and mounted transmission into a boxster frame before spending all the CAD time you say you have done on fabbing parts (ie:dry sump and intake) . Do you have photos of the ABZ in your donor vehicle sans intake and pan? Please pm me when you have something of substance as I'm done with this thread until then. Good Luck.
bc993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:50 AM   #128

Good day everyone!

As requested by BC993, some photos of the engine in the car. The scanning is a time consuming process that isn't finished... but I can still give you some shots of the actual car to give confidence in progress.

The dry sump isn't necessary but intake changes and new components that allow for front engine mounting are.

The RHS timing belt cover should be remade anyway, half of the front mounting may be off this cover, because of the extra bosses it has already built in. The alternator and air conditioning mounts may both be redesigned and rebuilt to swap their locations for easier A/C plumbing. This is no small task due to the complexity of the alternator mount because it has the oil cooler and filter assemblies integrated into the mount. Many people get rid of this design but for this specific application the cooler/filter design fits well. If they are redesigned likely the mounting needed for the front will be built into these.

Independent throttle bodies are in the works for the intake, to get the OEM unit to fit without cutting anything it would put the engine/transmission a little low and still there is almost no space for the OEM throttle body. We have both the 4V ABZ and 5V V8's here and although there are some design changes to the 5V that make it a little easier to install, I think with ITB the 4V will still be a better choice. With the length of velocity stacks that will be used and losing the 2 length intake system the torque will drop but max HP will increase thus reducing the strain on the OEM 5 speed transmission. A new flywheel is being designed as well that will accept the 10 bolt crank pattern and actually place the timing ring in the proper orientation for the manual transmission pickup location.

That is it for now, I'll post again soon once we have machined some of these parts.

Regards,

Dave@Nerv
Old 12-04-2015, 02:45 AM   #129

Garage
substance

Nerv,

That looks like "substance" to me. My S sits patiently waiting for a heart transplant so I will not turn the channel. I will continue to follow your progress.

Thanks for the update.
BOOTLEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #130

would the dry sump let you get the engine a bit lower and perhaps make intake and accessory fab a bit easier? itbs are tough to do well on this car as it is pretty hard to get cool air in there.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:20 PM   #131

Radium King:

You are right, the dry sump is the way we need to go. Changing the intake design other than redesigning the throttle body to manifold adapter would result in such a major change to the engine that keeping the OEM ECU happy with all the emissions components that need to be retained would be a huge task in of itself. With all the parts that already need to be built, no use making it harder yet.

With the dry sump I can lower the engine as far as possible and moving it further forward which will improve handling as well.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:34 PM   #132

Gm v-6?

I have been reading this thread with a lot of interest. After getting out of my 2013 Chevy Impala LTZ it occurred to me that a really great conversion would be a GM V-6. The one in my Chevy Impala puts out 310 HP and will easily rev up to it's redline of 6800 rpm. It is extremely torquey with the six speed automatic and believe it or not puts a lot of cars to shame stop light to stop light. The Caddy turbocharged V-6 (same basic engine architecture) puts out an easy 450 hp and they are starting to show up in the scrap yards. Think about it a second. A modern GM engine, turbocharged that any Chevy of Caddy dealer could work on. I love V-8's (used to have a 1974 454 4 speed Corvette) but they will be disappearing in the next few years. Even Porsche is downsizing their engines. Have you seen the new 718 Boxster? It comes with a turbocharged flat four!
Now everyone can laugh at me but I speak from a base of experience. I worked at the GM Tech Center many years ago and I can tell you that engine design and development is not standing still. A turbocharged V-6 would be perfect in a Boxster.
timetraveler2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #133

I think integration with the electronics of the Audi to the Porsche ecu is much more important than a dry sump, that make this a simple swap, why does the intake not fit? it seems to fit fine for the other conversions that have been done?
rusty69911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:02 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveler2222 View Post
I have been reading this thread with a lot of interest. After getting out of my 2013 Chevy Impala LTZ it occurred to me that a really great conversion would be a GM V-6. The one in my Chevy Impala puts out 310 HP and will easily rev up to it's redline of 6800 rpm. It is extremely torquey with the six speed automatic and believe it or not puts a lot of cars to shame stop light to stop light. The Caddy turbocharged V-6 (same basic engine architecture) puts out an easy 450 hp and they are starting to show up in the scrap yards. Think about it a second. A modern GM engine, turbocharged that any Chevy of Caddy dealer could work on. I love V-8's (used to have a 1974 454 4 speed Corvette) but they will be disappearing in the next few years. Even Porsche is downsizing their engines. Have you seen the new 718 Boxster? It comes with a turbocharged flat four!
Now everyone can laugh at me but I speak from a base of experience. I worked at the GM Tech Center many years ago and I can tell you that engine design and development is not standing still. A turbocharged V-6 would be perfect in a Boxster.
It is a neat concept, however if you did this and pulled the Boxster into a GM dealership I doubt they would touch it. I think any of the radical modifications we see and talk about presumes that you will be your own master wrench
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:31 AM   #135

I'm doing a turbo V6 in mine. No point looking any further than the Audi 2.7 bi turbo engine from the Audi S4 which is what I'm using.
Escy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:42 AM   #136

s4 and a6 motor has the power. I personally love the sound of a v8 in a sports car

Not to mention Ive found a local motor with less than 60,000 miles for $500

Last edited by GTA_G20; 02-16-2016 at 04:52 AM.
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:57 AM   #137
B6T

Quote:
A new flywheel is being designed as well that will accept the 10 bolt crank pattern and actually place the timing ring in the proper orientation for the manual transmission pickup location.

That is it for now, I'll post again soon once we have machined some of these parts.

Regards,

Dave@Nerv
Did you consider the FWD 6-speed transmission from the B6 chassis A4?

Pros:
- Crank position sensor is in the correct location
- You can use an off the shelf flywheel and clutch
- Correct starter location for the V8
- 01A based like the Boxster transmission

Cons:
- Have to design shift mechanism since these are rod actuated and the mechanism is on the LH side. The kit car guys might have something in existence that works already though.
- Mounts - but you're designing those anyway.

Unknowns:
- Axles, but you might be able to find an VW/Audi axle that works.

I have actually purchased a 2.7tt to swap. I was looking for a base 2.7t 2000+ car since that Motronic version integrates better with the ME7 based 2.7t and V8 Audi stuff than does the older non-E-gas Boxsters. I ended up finding a nice 2003 Boxster S which I plan to keep H6 for the time being. So swap plans are on hold.

Until this point I've done a lot of thought about how I'd do the swap, but no actual measurement since I didn't have the Boxster to take measurements from. I also don't have a $80,000 laser scanner available, nor a machine shop, despite having used those scanners at work and having mechanical design and CNC programming experience. I wish I had your resources! Let me know if I can help out at all!
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #138
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Any updates to the project? I've been poking around the web looking at some other trails of this swap and most of them end before completion. Also I'm curious if (after development) you plan on selling the separate components or just the complete kit?
I've seen some good deals on the 5V engines (BFM). I might pick one up and start working it into my rear clip (no 3d scanner or CAD here, but a Sawzall and lots of curiosity).
Old 04-17-2016, 03:36 AM   #139

From what I recall. You choose your own 5v and he sells the install kit

I'm waiting on an update to buy my motor also

Last edited by GTA_G20; 04-17-2016 at 07:59 PM.
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:48 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveler2222 View Post
One of my track buds is putting the Caddy turbo V6 in his Cayman. It's a track car so he has less hurdles than a street car but this should be a monster

Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote