Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2015, 02:51 PM   #21

Just an update on my window dilemma. They are both working again, it must have been the microswitch(if that's what it's called) in the back of the roof. I raised and lowered the top and the windows started working again. I have noticed the convertible top light has been staying lit on the dash when it's up or down. Anyway I'm thankful I didn't destroy anything with using the wrong amperage fuse. I thought I better post the solution in case someone in the future has the same problem, so maybe that Porsche tech was right after all. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by joecal; 09-19-2015 at 01:09 PM.
joecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miata2Boxster View Post
I did a complete check for shorts and found none. When I unplug the CLU, C3 fuse does not blow. As soon as I plug back in the CLU C3 blows. The Jack a&& prior owner left the CLU unmounted and dangling....seems to not be original either. He must have got a used one and stuck his hand under the seat to make the switch.. When I opened it I found no apparent moisture or corrosion on the circuit board. I guess I will get another and see if it does the trick after installation.

Do I need to have a code to install if I don't use my remote locking function from my keys?
I would mount the CLU properly, might just be a bad ground connection. A bad ground causes all kinds of problems including blown fuses.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlmodelt View Post
I would mount the CLU properly, might just be a bad ground connection. A bad ground causes all kinds of problems including blown fuses.
Mine is mounted properly, I believe that was the original poster and never mentioned if he found the problem. You are correct though about a bad ground causing problems. I'm just thankful my windows are working again without having to pull the door panels off.
Thanks
Old 09-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #24

Hi guys,
I thought I had my window problem resolved but I guess not. It's better but not totally fixed. I replaced the micro switch in the center of the windshield because the windows were staying in the convertible mode when you release the handle to open the top. The reason I changed the switch was to see if that was the problem because I only heard the switch making one click not two. I'm able to close them using the key and holding it in the lock position for a few seconds and then they close like they should when using the console switch. Well now with the new switch installed the C3 fuse again is blowing when it gets to the second click. Something is shorting out, I checked the wiring where the connector is and cut off the rubber insulation. I thought maybe 2 wires were making contact and maybe they are they're pretty small gauge wires and the plug connectors look pretty close. I removed the seat to check the wires going to the immobilizer and they looked fine but who knows. I cleaned the connectors with electronic contact cleaner even though they looked fine. Any help is appreciated, I'm getting to closer to resolving this at least I have a general idea of where the problems stemming from. When I do resolve this I'll definitely post my findings so if someone in the future has the same issue they'll be able to repair it.

Last edited by joecal; 09-19-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #25

Hi Guys, just an update, I found the problem and it was my fault. I replaced the drivers side sun visor because it was floppy and in doing so I pinch the wiring behind it for the microswitch so it was shorting out. I can't believe I did that but at least I found the problem. I just tried to retrace my steps of the work that I did to the car because I didn't have that problem when I got the car. So an expensive and frustrating lesson learned but I'm happy it's fixed, thanks for the help I really appreciate it, this was really driving me nuts.