Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #1

Approx labour hours for fix?

Brand new 2002 Boxster owner (as of tomorrow) and, as a result, I'm wondering if people can help me with estimated labour hours to correct the PPI issues...

Took to a shop, and the following were recommended to be done immediately:

* Fix leaky spark plug tube on bank 1
* Replace rusty ignition coils (all 6)

No indication of an IMS issue, but that's likely because the dealership did a full oil change after purchase. According to the PPI, the engine was in great condition, although there was a bit of plastic in the filter from a chain guide.

Anyone have an idea how long it takes to fix the ignition coil / spark plug tube issues? I know the engine placement does add some complexity to the fixes, but I have no idea if this is a 5 hour or 15 hour fix.

(I'm also thinking of doing a preventative IMS replacement / retrofit at the same time for piece of mind, and having the chain guides replaced during that.)

MacGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #2

Garage
If you have all of the parts beforehand, 5 hour fix at maximum, assuming you've used a wrench before.

That time includes getting under the car and pondering around all of the other interesting looking parts that you haven't seen before.

The coils are two bolts and a wire plug each to swap. This part will be sort of expensive.

The plug tubes normally only need new O-rings and this will be cheap, even to do all 6 tubes (12 O-rings).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #3

Garage
Doubtfull it needs to be done immediately since plug tubes don't leak huge amounts of oil & if a coil misfires it will light the CEL dash light. Don't know mileage of your future Box but there's a chance the most immediate need for it is replaceing the VarioCam chain wear pads. The original wear pads always wear & small pieces break off until around 80,000 miles they can be worn enough to alter camshaft timing. For this reason any 97-2002 Boxster should have the new improved material wear pads installed. I agree with post #2 about approximate hrs for sparkplug tube & coil repacement , if done while replaceing wear pads no additional labor.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #4

Thanks for the info and comment about the chain wear pads. Any suggestion for sturdier replacements?

It's a relatively low mileage 2002 base model (about 56.5K miles), so I figured since I'd be taking it to a shop for the IMS replacement / retrofit, I might as well get the other items looked at.

There's a few other small things that need to get done (CV boots are in good condition but will need replacing in a couple years, replace convertible top with a glass rear) and I want to get the underbody linings replaced, but those 2 items were what the mechanic mentioned he would do if it was his car.
MacGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #5

Garage
I replaced all six of my spark plug tubes in about two hours. If I were to do it again, it would probably be an hour to hour and a half.

Seeing you have to unbolt the coils to do this....I would say the job should be a MAX of two hours from an experienced Shop. Likely less.

BTW....your tubes are likely fine. I saved myself a small amount of $$$$$ and re-used the tubes and just replaced the two gaskets on each tube. Obviously each tube needs to be inspected for cracks/damage....but they were all fine for me and it very much did fix the leaks I was having.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #6

Find a good indy. Should be around a 2 hour job and approx $350 (US) in parts. "Rusty" coils does not make sense to me…red flag? Cracked would make sense
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #7

I agree with my fellow forum members on this one.

You can do this work yourself and save a ton of money.

I purchased a set of six spark plug tubes with O-rings from RockAuto two months ago and it cost me less than $20 shipped to my house in Texas.

I don't recommend changing out ignition coils unless they are failing.

I purchased my 99 Boxster in 2009 with 104,000 miles. I now have over 215,700 miles and still have the factory original ignition coils.

Byprodriver is correct about the VarioCam issue. I had to have mine (both sides) fixed before she turned 120,000 miles.

As for the IMS, just inspect your oil filter at each oil change. If there are shavings, then see about an IMS replacement. I am still have the original IMS in my car.

Just my opinion.

Congrats! on your new Boxster
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #8

Buy 101 projects for your Porsche Boxster or download it from the Google Play books site. It lists the price of parts and number of hours required for all common Boxster repairs.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:22 AM   #9

Pulling a coil is an easy 30min job at most and that includes putting the car up on jack stands etc.

Rusty coil does not make sense as they are completely encapsulated in plastic and no water could get into the sealed plug contact end unless the engine has been under water for days.

Cracked is the common mode of failure for coils.

The spark plug tubes will take a few minutes each once you have the coil out of the tube. (With a good DIY tool for gripping/pulling them)

I would say that 2 hours should be enough time to remove ALL the coils, plugs and tubes laying on your back under the car up on rear jack stands.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #10

I would find another mechanic or learn to do things yourself. No need for me to repeat what the others have already told you. As for DIY, last Saturday I spent 4 hours working on my Boxster and replaced the following: MAF sensor, removed, cleaned and replaced the throttle body, new air filter, new spark plugs and spark plug tubes. First time for me doing any of the above on the Boxster. Used the 101 book for everything.
'76 BMW R75/6
'73 Honda Scrambler
Kurt V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #11
1998 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Doubtfull it needs to be done immediately since plug tubes don't leak huge amounts of oil & if a coil misfires it will light the CEL dash light. Don't know mileage of your future Box but there's a chance the most immediate need for it is replaceing the VarioCam chain wear pads. The original wear pads always wear & small pieces break off until around 80,000 miles they can be worn enough to alter camshaft timing. For this reason any 97-2002 Boxster should have the new improved material wear pads installed. I agree with post #2 about approximate hrs for sparkplug tube & coil repacement , if done while replaceing wear pads no additional labor.
What is involved in getting to the wear pads?

rah rah 986 is offline   Reply With Quote