Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
Registered User
 
RayW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 39
Garage
IMS Bearing tools

Hi all. I'm new to the forum, and new to Porsche ownership. I just purchased a 98 Boxster knowing it needed some clutch work. While I've got the trans out, I figured I'd do the IMS. It appears original. Does anyone know if you can rent he tools needed to R & R the bearing. I'd hate to buy them for a 1 shot deal. I've looked around but can't ind any.

Looking forward to getting it back on the road, and possibly the track.

RayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
Registered User
 
rdass623's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: new orleans
Posts: 249
look in the diy section, I believe there is a post on how to make the tools needed. they are quite specific, so you are fecal matter out of luck at your local autozone.
__________________
2005 Porsche Boxster S, 2000 Porsche Boxster 2.7L Base, 2000 Mazda Miata LS Supercharged, 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
Previous Vehicles: 2005 Ford Mustang GT, 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1971 Alfa Romeo GTV, 1999 Ford Mustang
1977 Toyota Celica GT
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:23 AM   #3
Beginner
 
Jamesp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,659
Garage
I made a tool for a 2003 that worked. The 03's have a removable snap ring and a press fit single row bearing. That may be easier to get out than the '98, as a '98 may have a double row bearing with an internal wire snap ring requiring higher forces. Other members may correct me on that as I'm not 100% sure when the single row bearing became the rule. I also had the advantage of having the intermediate shaft on a bench. If I were dealing with a double row, I'd take more time to make a better all metal tool, or get one manufactured for the job.
__________________
2003 S manual
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 172
I will rent you my set. PM and we can work out the details!
__________________
2001 Boxster S 6speed- weekend warrior
2015 Explorer Sport- New DD
2011 Taurus SHO- Sold
2010 CBR1000RR- Sold
Wilson01S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
Dual row bearings require 3-4X more force to remove as the internal wire lock must be broken. I developed the first IMS extraction tool after everything I could find commercially would break when extracting a dual row IMSB.

Today, that extractor is the most imitated component I have brought to market.
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Tucker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 274
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
Dual row bearings require 3-4X more force to remove as the internal wire lock must be broken. I developed the first IMS extraction tool after everything I could find commercially would break when extracting a dual row IMSB.

Today, that extractor is the most imitated component I have brought to market.
My brother-in-law makes a side-living out of RENTING tool kits for Ducati motorcycles. Ducati owners pay him to rent a set of tools needed to do specific jobs on the bikes, so they don't have to drop hundreds (or more) on a set of tools they will only use once every few years. Maybe there's a opportunity here for similar????
__________________
Current: 981 Cayman
Former: '02 BS and '08 C
Tucker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker2 View Post
My brother-in-law makes a side-living out of RENTING tool kits for Ducati motorcycles. Ducati owners pay him to rent a set of tools needed to do specific jobs on the bikes, so they don't have to drop hundreds (or more) on a set of tools they will only use once every few years. Maybe there's a opportunity here for similar????
Been there, done that.. No way in hell!

People keep it an extra day and don't want to pay for it.. They send it back missing parts and argue that it was all there when they returned it... They send it back so nasty that it looks like it came from a junkyard..

And then when they dispute what the reality is (even if you take before and after pics) they just do a chargeback and make you into a bad guy.

That might have worked 20+ years ago, but today its a disaster. I speak from direct experience.
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Tucker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 274
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
Been there, done that.. No way in hell!

People keep it an extra day and don't want to pay for it.. They send it back missing parts and argue that it was all there when they returned it... They send it back so nasty that it looks like it came from a junkyard..

And then when they dispute what the reality is (even if you take before and after pics) they just do a chargeback and make you into a bad guy.

That might have worked 20+ years ago, but today its a disaster. I speak from direct experience.
That's sad to hear. I know nothing of the details, but I do know he is busy as all heck right now with his business and says his customers are very careful/respectful with the tools sent to them. His luck has been very good and he literally can't keep up with demand right now. To bad you had the opposite luck. That is unfortunate. And a bummer for us Porsche nerds.
__________________
Current: 981 Cayman
Former: '02 BS and '08 C
Tucker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:18 AM   #9
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker2 View Post
That's sad to hear. I know nothing of the details, but I do know he is busy as all heck right now with his business and says his customers are very careful/respectful with the tools sent to them. His luck has been very good and he literally can't keep up with demand right now. To bad you had the opposite luck. That is unfortunate. And a bummer for us Porsche nerds.
Yep, been there and done that.. Wouldn't even consider it again.
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
Registered User
 
DennisAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 111
I was surprised how much force I had to apply to the wrenches when pulling my dual row IMSB.

Probably easier and less chance for argument is to buy used, then resell. This way there's no argument about who broke what. I shopped around and bought my LN kit for $250 shipped. I figure it will be an easy sell at about $175, although right now I'm seeing if it should go to the local P club tool crib first.

__________________
Base 2000 986, beater 1996 Miata, 2011 Suzuki SX4 AWD
Feline mechanics Condoleezza and Dukie
DennisAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page