986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   IMS Bearing tools (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53004-ims-bearing-tools.html)

RayW 06-30-2014 05:19 PM

IMS Bearing tools

Hi all. I'm new to the forum, and new to Porsche ownership. I just purchased a 98 Boxster knowing it needed some clutch work. While I've got the trans out, I figured I'd do the IMS. It appears original. Does anyone know if you can rent he tools needed to R & R the bearing. I'd hate to buy them for a 1 shot deal. I've looked around but can't ind any.

Looking forward to getting it back on the road, and possibly the track.

rdass623 06-30-2014 05:27 PM

look in the diy section, I believe there is a post on how to make the tools needed. they are quite specific, so you are fecal matter out of luck at your local autozone.

Jamesp 07-01-2014 03:23 AM

I made a tool for a 2003 that worked. The 03's have a removable snap ring and a press fit single row bearing. That may be easier to get out than the '98, as a '98 may have a double row bearing with an internal wire snap ring requiring higher forces. Other members may correct me on that as I'm not 100% sure when the single row bearing became the rule. I also had the advantage of having the intermediate shaft on a bench. If I were dealing with a double row, I'd take more time to make a better all metal tool, or get one manufactured for the job.

Wilson01S 07-01-2014 06:44 AM

I will rent you my set. PM and we can work out the details!

Jake Raby 07-01-2014 04:26 PM

Dual row bearings require 3-4X more force to remove as the internal wire lock must be broken. I developed the first IMS extraction tool after everything I could find commercially would break when extracting a dual row IMSB.

Today, that extractor is the most imitated component I have brought to market.

Tucker2 07-01-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 408177)
Dual row bearings require 3-4X more force to remove as the internal wire lock must be broken. I developed the first IMS extraction tool after everything I could find commercially would break when extracting a dual row IMSB.

Today, that extractor is the most imitated component I have brought to market.

My brother-in-law makes a side-living out of RENTING tool kits for Ducati motorcycles. Ducati owners pay him to rent a set of tools needed to do specific jobs on the bikes, so they don't have to drop hundreds (or more) on a set of tools they will only use once every few years. Maybe there's a opportunity here for similar????

Jake Raby 07-01-2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tucker2 (Post 408186)
My brother-in-law makes a side-living out of RENTING tool kits for Ducati motorcycles. Ducati owners pay him to rent a set of tools needed to do specific jobs on the bikes, so they don't have to drop hundreds (or more) on a set of tools they will only use once every few years. Maybe there's a opportunity here for similar????

Been there, done that.. No way in hell!

People keep it an extra day and don't want to pay for it.. They send it back missing parts and argue that it was all there when they returned it... They send it back so nasty that it looks like it came from a junkyard..

And then when they dispute what the reality is (even if you take before and after pics) they just do a chargeback and make you into a bad guy.

That might have worked 20+ years ago, but today its a disaster. I speak from direct experience.

Tucker2 07-01-2014 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 408192)
Been there, done that.. No way in hell!

People keep it an extra day and don't want to pay for it.. They send it back missing parts and argue that it was all there when they returned it... They send it back so nasty that it looks like it came from a junkyard..

And then when they dispute what the reality is (even if you take before and after pics) they just do a chargeback and make you into a bad guy.

That might have worked 20+ years ago, but today its a disaster. I speak from direct experience.

That's sad to hear. I know nothing of the details, but I do know he is busy as all heck right now with his business and says his customers are very careful/respectful with the tools sent to them. His luck has been very good and he literally can't keep up with demand right now. To bad you had the opposite luck. That is unfortunate. And a bummer for us Porsche nerds.

Jake Raby 07-02-2014 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tucker2 (Post 408213)
That's sad to hear. I know nothing of the details, but I do know he is busy as all heck right now with his business and says his customers are very careful/respectful with the tools sent to them. His luck has been very good and he literally can't keep up with demand right now. To bad you had the opposite luck. That is unfortunate. And a bummer for us Porsche nerds.

Yep, been there and done that.. Wouldn't even consider it again.

DennisAN 07-02-2014 03:49 PM

I was surprised how much force I had to apply to the wrenches when pulling my dual row IMSB.

Probably easier and less chance for argument is to buy used, then resell. This way there's no argument about who broke what. I shopped around and bought my LN kit for $250 shipped. I figure it will be an easy sell at about $175, although right now I'm seeing if it should go to the local P club tool crib first.