Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 06:55 AM   #1

Has anyone ever driven in a parade with someone between the roll bars on the back?

Like when they have the homecoming queen or whatever with a 3rd person sitting above and between the seats, kind of sitting on where the top retracts? Down here it is usually Corvettes or Mustangs.

Would it be safe or would it bend up the roof supports, clamshell cover, etc...

I would like to drive my GF's daughter in the next parade if possible

Like this picture I found:

Thank you

Steve

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #2

My wife suggested this for our town parade when I first go the car. I hadn't even thought about someone sitting on the soft top. I was more concerned with how bored I would be driving around in 1st gear for 3 hours, and being embarrassed by the inevitable handful of times that I would stall.
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
If their weight is on the rollbar center itself and not the roof mechanism, I don't see why it would be an issue.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I drove around the streets of Monaco with a passenger standing in the front seat. Just don't turn too fast lol
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
My wife suggested this for our town parade when I first go the car. I hadn't even thought about someone sitting on the soft top. I was more concerned with how bored I would be driving around in 1st gear for 3 hours, and being embarrassed by the inevitable handful of times that I would stall.
Update the muffler system (or take it off for max effect) and then you can rev it up in between while you are sitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
If their weight is on the rollbar center itself and not the roof mechanism, I don't see why it would be an issue.
Good idea, my GF's daughter is very tiny, I bet she could sit right there. She could hold onto the roll bar hoops too I guess.

If it ever happens I will get some pics
Old 06-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #6

Been there and done it....homecoming parades three times. three different roll bar cars.

1999 M roadster
2003 Z4
2000 Boxster S

No issues.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:48 AM   #7

I did it for a friend of my daughter's when she was Homecoming Queen. It was a lot of fun. Just have her put her feet behind the seats and lean back instead of sitting on the top.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:57 AM   #8

Awesome, thank you everybody!