Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

Porsche dealership service definitely has two levels..

There's the white-gloved 911 and Cayenne service, and there's the 986 service.

The 911 service is obviously no trace kind of work. No spills, scratches, perfect job.

The 986 service is bleed brakes with wheels on, get fluid all over inner barrel of wheel which leaves a massive residue only brake cleaner will dissolve, which gets on the outer re-painted rim, leave bleeder valves wet with fluid, leave two new scratches, and call it done as long as the cheap-ass 986 owner doesn't complain since he never looks under there anyway....and as long as the brakes now work as they should before Joey Boxster over here played with the brakes outside his trailer.....

Obviously a phone call Monday. Since I installed new rear pads, I had the rears off anyway and washed them.

I have never seen such sloppy work, and expected Porsche standards.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Gone

Garage
Porsche NA would not like to hear about that. Since you were in looking for your next 911
Old 06-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
There's the white-gloved 911 and Cayenne service, and there's the 986 service.

The 911 service is obviously no trace kind of work. No spills, scratches, perfect job.

The 986 service is bleed brakes with wheels on, get fluid all over inner barrel of wheel which leaves a massive residue only brake cleaner will dissolve, which gets on the outer re-painted rim, leave bleeder valves wet with fluid, leave two new scratches, and call it done as long as the cheap-ass 986 owner doesn't complain since he never looks under there anyway....and as long as the brakes now work as they should before Joey Boxster over here played with the brakes outside his trailer.....

Obviously a phone call Monday. Since I installed new rear pads, I had the rears off anyway and washed them.

I have never seen such sloppy work, and expected Porsche standards.
karma is a bytch
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
Old 06-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Hawaiian Driver

They need to think twice about treating customers as second class citizens, word spreads fast!!
Old 06-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
karma is a bytch
And some members here are ass holes. What's your point?

You and your stupid cat can **********.

Because I don't want your cat in my yard??? Really??
Old 06-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Driver View Post
They need to think twice about treating customers as second class citizens, word spreads fast!!
It will indeed travel fast to Mr. strong, owner of Strong Porsche of SLC.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
And some members here are ass holes. What's your point?

You and your stupid cat can **********.

Because I don't want your cat in my yard??? Really??
lighten up dude
my cat is not in, nor has ever been in your yard
and he does sleep on my roof and in my car
even drives sometimes
His name is Toonsies
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 06-06-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #8

One big ol' hollow point round and I could turn little Toonsies into a red shag rug before he ever heard the bang! Yup. Bang!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #9
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
lighten up dude
my cat is not in, nor has ever been in your yard
and he does sleep on my roof and in my car
even drives sometimes
His name is Toonsies
Only a total douche bag would claim some mechanic saw my car and said hey, this guy needs some brake fluid all over his wheels because he doesn't like his neighbor's cats in his yard...

The first time I say something that stupid in your threads, you can tell me to lighten up.

You and toonsies sound like a perfect pair. Be a responsible pet owner. If someone damages your car tomorrow or runs your cat over, we'll call it karma. It's a bytch, dontcha know....

Last edited by Timco; 06-06-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #10

If finding cat do-do in your flower bed gets your blood pressure too high what does finding brake fluid on your wheels do?
Old 06-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #11

Oh a, sorry- am I messing up YOUR thread? (Where's my gun....?):chicken:
Old 06-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
If finding cat do-do in your flower bed gets your blood pressure too high what does finding brake fluid on your wheels do?
I'll get a free wash or some benefit from the brake fluid. The cat shat gives nothing in return. I'll now know better than to take the car to Porsche, just like the neighborhood cats know better than to use my yard.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #13
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Oh a, sorry- am I messing up YOUR thread? (Where's my gun....?):chicken:
Just what the world needs....another spineless Canadian.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #14

Ignoring the less salient, less thoughtful, or just plain rude posts-

Sorry about your experience, hope those limited edition CL wheels don't have their paint jacked up, but I think the lines of liability are pretty clear if they did, surely the dealer would have the inside track on acquiring some replacements...

I started off just using the dealer for service, and in general was pleased with everything but the price. However, I did notice that sometimes I got the white glove treatment, sometimes not so much. I bought a set of service covers ander started putting them on prior to leaving the car, just as a hint. Seemed to work.

I've noted in the past that if I made a point to clean my other cars before taking them in for service, they came back cleaner, but if they were piled full of stuff or dirty from use, the service people seemed to assume I didn't give a shirt about how they left it when finished.
Meeting the actual service people rather than the service advisor seemed like a good idea, and certainly resulted in learning more about the car, but did nothing to improve the condition at pickup, maybe b/c I'm not good at playing the "rich ahole that's going raise cain if his car isn't perfect."
Try the friendly method first. "Mr service mgr, I'm afraid you forgot to finish cleaning up the car after the recent service, and I appreciate your working me in quickly, so maybe your guys were rushed that day, but in this case it may cause actual damage rather than just a temporary cosmetic problem. I know you want to keep your impeccable reputation intact, and it would be embarrassing for me if I had to ask Mr Strong to replace my wheels when we have lunch together Wednesday, so is there any chance you could send a runner out to my office to pick up the car and handle this while I am a work?"
Or something like that.
BOL
Old 06-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #15

Garage
The over sensitive cat owners are going to ruin this forum. If you think animals that crap in a box and could care less if you exist are cool then good for you. Let's get back to Porsches which are infinitely better than cats dogs or kids.

I've never been to a dealer and I never will. I sent email quote requests on tire balancing and alignment to several dealers in my area and got one response from an actual service department and that was to tell me to call them. Negative. Not calling to see what else you're going to sell me. Sad to hear that
Boxster owners are second class citizens when the real second class citizens should be the rebadged touraeg owners. Not that I dont think the cayenne is nice but a Boxster is way closer to Porsche racing blood than an overweight suv.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #16

Does the 911 service include a reach-around?
Old 06-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
Does the 911 service include a reach-around?
ROFL

That's the most hilarious thing I have heard all week...

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
Old 06-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #18
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
karma is a bytch
Particularly for anyone who doesn't share your views. Do you have a good line on any energy pyramid crystals? I'm looking to energize and clarify my inner aura with crystal energy to purify my karma, and only crystal energy will do. Whoa, pass me the bong dude!
Old 06-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #19

Some in here hope that your Karma runs over their neighbors cat
Old 06-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #20

it's not a cat thing. it's not a pyramid energy thing. it's a "your smaller than me so i can do what i want to you" attitude that got shown in a different thread. this 'lick up, kick down' world view got turned around on him - he's not a 911 driver, he's a boxster driver and he got the bad service instead of the good service. karma.

Closed Thread