Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #61
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mump View Post
I never said anything about poisoning a cat. I just said to put antifreeze-laced tuna out... Cats make their own decisions, where they lay, what they eat, where they walk.
well then, in case you don't know, anti-freeze is poison

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
Old 06-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #62

antifreeze

antifreeze poisoning is a horrible death, don't do this. It will kill any mammal including humans, birds you name it.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #63

How about a big dog He loves to ride. Here I was working on the car and as soon as I opened the door he jumped in. I think I was doing the headlamp switch here.

He also liked to ride in my son's old Miata...

Last edited by steved0x; 06-04-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #64

Ok, since everyone else is weighing in on this:

My top 8 recommendations (in the order I'd do them) would be:

1. Talk to the owner if you can locate him/her. Explain (calmly) that you don't want to kill the cat, but if it continues to sit on your car you may be forced to do so.

2. Get a car cover. Let's face it, you probably want one anyway, and this is the perfect excuse (for your significant other) to get a cover because covers are a LOT cheaper than a new top. Make sure it's a light colored one - it will stay cooler and the cat won't be as tempted to lay on it. A bonus is that it will protect the car from bird droppings as well...

3. Spray the cat with a garden hose. Make an exaggerated run for the hose any time you see the cat near your car. This way opening the door to your house should be enough to scare it off. After 2-3 times the cat will probably find another place to sit.

4. There have to be things you can buy (Rhino piss, something like that) that cats can't stand that you can spray around your car (not necessarily on it) to keep the cat away.

5. Make friends with the cat. Then advertise it for adoption on Craigslist. (hee hee)

6. Trap the cat, drive 50 miles away and release it (or bring it to an animal shelter). My preference would be to let it loose - shelters are overcrowded and after a certain length of time they often are forced to kill the animals.

7. Get a weak spring driven BB gun. You want something that won't hurt the cat if you accidently hit it. Then aim high (so as not to hit the cat or your Boxster) and when you see the cat near your car, fire to miss it. Remember to aim high and to the side - BBs from weak spring BB guns will drop 3-5 feet for the first 100 feet. Make sure you aim so you don't hit cars, people, or neighbors houses. After the first few times you do this you don't even have to have BBs in the gun - the Pfffftt sound alone will make the cat run...

8. Get your own cat and train it to guard you Boxster. You'll know it's doing it's job when you hear a lot of hissing...

NOT recommended:

Anti-freeze - you REALLY shouldn't do this - it's one extremely horrible way to kill a cat (or any other creature that drinks it). A slow, horrible, painful death. Tuna isn't necessary, cats will lap it up regardless because it (apparently) tastes sweet and very good to them. This is also probably illegal in most places.

Bazooka - for obvious reasons.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #65

Not sure why JayG feels required to mock references to wild animals in urban settings. I live in a city and right around my property I have rabbits, muskrats, racoons, foxes, woodchucks, squirrels, skunks, beavers, and deer. It is not unusual for a bear, coyote, or moose to wander in to the city as well. No samsquanches yet.

Cats are the least of my worries, but if I was having cat problems I'd be with the trap 'em, bag 'em, and drown 'em group. Got no use for cats.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #66

I got no use for people, and bad drivers have ruined more cars than cats ever have. the problem is, if I tried the 'trap, bag and drown" approach on a few of my less likeable neighbours, they'd call me a psychopath and lock me up.

hold it ... they do the same thing if you do that to animals ...
Old 06-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #67
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Not sure why JayG feels required to mock references to wild animals in urban settings. I live in a city and right around my property I have rabbits, muskrats, racoons, foxes, woodchucks, squirrels, skunks, beavers, and deer. It is not unusual for a bear, coyote, or moose to wander in to the city as well. No samsquanches yet.

Cats are the least of my worries, but if I was having cat problems I'd be with the trap 'em, bag 'em, and drown 'em group. Got no use for cats.
I was mocking the comments made by another. (making a joke).

I wasn't the one that made a stupid statement about cats hunting wild game. I seriously doubt a house cat (or even a feral one) would hunt wild game. Mice, rats, small birds and of course 986 soft tops definitely, but wild game, don't think so

Seriously, you have all those animals in an urban area? Urban areas generally are the inner city or at least the highly built up areas of a city. They typically are not large plots of land with lots of space around them.

I have not been to Winnipeg, so I can't know for sure, but you really have moose, deer and bear wandering around the urban part of the city? Maybe in the suburbs and outlying areas, but in the city?

I live in the suburbs of San Diego and we do see coyote in the street every now and then, but I live very near a large park are that is completely undeveloped. Hell we see skunks, raccoons, and lots of rattlesnakes and other forest creatures in the trails, but its a rare site in the neighborhood. We even had a mountain lion spotted the other day. Now that kitty could do some serious damage to a car.

Hell, BigJake's schoolmate caused far more damage and no one is advocating shooting, poisoning or otherwise harming him

I guess you like mice and rats, because cats are really good for keeping them away.

I'm not some kind of PETA wacko (not to insult PETA people), but anyone that advocates cruelty to animals should have the same done to them.

For crying out loud, its a cat and there are lots of ways to protect you car that don't involve violence and childish behavior

Last edited by JayG; 06-04-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #68
Beginner

Garage
Don't shoot, poison, trap, mangle, or otherwise permanently injure the cat for just being a cat. That would be bad. So there has been quite a few suggesting cat mangling I think, just to get the goat of the cat lovers. Worked like a charm too. Perhaps one of the forum members talented in electronics (you know who you are) can create an ultrasonic cat scatterer that runs on its own rechargeable battery when the car is off, and charges itself when the car is on. Mount it inside and it spits out 55 Khz at 120 db aimed at the roof for say 12 hours on a charge. Make any cat or dog uncomfortable. Seems simple enough, get it patented, get rich, and we can say we knew you when.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #69

How about simply turning your ball cap backwards and running over it in your lifted 150 ?
Old 06-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #70

Old 06-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #71

Beyoncé ...
Old 06-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Seriously, you have all those animals in an urban area? Urban areas generally are the inner city or at least the highly built up areas of a city. They typically are not large plots of land with lots of space around them.
If you do a quick satellite view of Winnipeg you will see that two main rivers join right in the center of the city The banks of these rivers have been maintained, for the most part, as a wide natural greenspace, and so the animals tend to come up the river bank not realizing they are entering a city.

Moose and bear don't actually show up that often - usually about two bears a year and maybe a moose every two or three years. All the rest of the critters are commonly seen in the city. The beavers and racoons are real pests. There is a herd of about 300 deer living in a large forest preserve in the southern part of the city.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Hell, BigJake's schoolmate caused far more damage and no one is advocating shooting, poisoning or otherwise harming him
I did. I thought he should have been shot, pissed on, and kicked in the nuts.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #74

I can't tell you how angry I am knowing anyone here would burn an animal. Cats are more than animals to me. Humans less so every day. I am glad I'm not the only one here to give a voice to those with none.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Perhaps one of the forum members talented in electronics (you know who you are) can create an ultrasonic cat scatterer that runs on its own rechargeable battery when the car is off, and charges itself when the car is on. Mount it inside and it spits out 55 Khz at 120 db aimed at the roof for say 12 hours on a charge. Make any cat or dog uncomfortable. Seems simple enough, get it patented, get rich, and we can say we knew you when.
That sounds like a great idea! Call it "The Ragtop Protector" or some such. Use a kickstarter project to fund it. "Protect your investment! Great for any convertible car! Simple cigarette lighter installation. Low battery drain - runs for weeks!"

Another idea might be to have something you tack to the headliner when the top is up (white strip with a sliver of Velcro at the top) that hangs down over the console. When the cat walks up on the roof and shakes the top that might set off the alarm system (via the alien eyes motion sensor).
Old 06-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #76
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
If you do a quick satellite view of Winnipeg you will see that two main rivers join right in the center of the city The banks of these rivers have been maintained, for the most part, as a wide natural greenspace, and so the animals tend to come up the river bank not realizing they are entering a city.

Moose and bear don't actually show up that often - usually about two bears a year and maybe a moose every two or three years. All the rest of the critters are commonly seen in the city. The beavers and racoons are real pests. There is a herd of about 300 deer living in a large forest preserve in the southern part of the city.
sounds beautiful. I will have to come visit
Something else for the bucket list
Old 06-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #77

The cat cure is simply to bring mother nature to the rescue.

Bring in animals that consider cats prey and let nature takes its course.

There is a couple of big owls in my neighborhood that leave droppings full of cat claws.

Kittens disappear by the dozen weekly.

However, sometimes the cure is even worse, as I have had talon claws puncture my boat cover during the nightly chaos.

I keep the Boxster garaged.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
Old 06-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #78
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
The cat cure is simply to bring mother nature to the rescue.

Bring in animals that consider cats prey and let nature takes its course.

There is a couple of big owls in my neighborhood that leave droppings full of cat claws.

Kittens disappear by the dozen weekly.

However, sometimes the cure is even worse, as I have had talon claws puncture my boat cover during the nightly chaos.

I keep the Boxster garaged.
They did something like that in the Philippines or Guam. It was a snake and mongoose. One of then was out of control and the other hunted it as prey. They brought one in to control the other I don't remember which was which, but the end result was they fixed one problem and now have another.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #79
kls

I like squirrels

This is the best comment on this thread. Cracked me up.

I wasn't the one that made a stupid statement about cats hunting wild game. I seriously doubt a house cat (or even a feral one) would hunt wild game. Mice, rats, small birds and of course 986 soft tops definitely, but wild game, don't think so

Not such a stupid statement. You are apparently just arguing about the definition of wild game. I doubt your cat's going to bag a deer or an elk, but they take a lot more songbirds than rodents in my neighborhood.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #80
kls

sorry - duplicate

Closed Thread