Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #121

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
an animal getting run over by a car is an act of god.
Even if you swerve toward it?

(says the atheist)

Old 06-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #122
Rookie

Garage
I guess if someone instinctively swerves to miss a stray cat that darts out in front of them and that driver ends up wrapping their car around a telephone pole, and dies as a result of their injuries, well THAT would also be considered just an "act of god", right? Awesome, just whatever you do or whatever happens, do NOT blame the owner of the cat.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #123

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeA View Post
Yeah thats just it, I always give them a friendly warning first. But almost without fail you chase them off verbally and they come back eventually. Once I start to recognize the same cat, that is having to scale my fence to get in, well then clearly they havent gotten the hint and more stringent measures are called for. I dont poison, abandon, allow my dog to attack or shoot to maim but I will always get the point across with a mild BB shot to the rump (we're talking a weak gun from 50' here). If I was of the mindset of most Portlanders I wouldnt be making a point to keep my own cat indoors. Seems to me if your indoor cat gets out it getting run over by a car would be far more of a concern than what someone might do to him for crapping in their flower bed.
Actually, the reason I keep the cat inside is because my neighbors have chickens, and we have coyotes that roam our streets occasionally. Small dogs,cats, and chickens have disappeared because of the coyotes. I also think that my neighbors would appreciate my efforts to keep my cats from scaring their egg laying chickens. I doubt the cat could or would hurt the chickens. I have other neighbors that don't keep their cats in and they are seen in my yard often,but I don't do anything about it. By the way, I'm not really a cat person, The cat was my recently deceased wife's cat. I didn't think she would appreciate me getting rid of it so it will continue to live with me and the dog.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #124

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
I may have to move to the 911 forum. I hear there are fewer cat lovers and PETA members that drive 911's...
Lol. I had the same thought.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:29 AM   #125

Consider the suffering of an intelligent & complex social animal: the abducted cat
a family pet used to sleeping in warmth, fed free & loved
will live about 2 years feral (but not in Winnipeg)
soon starving, emaciated, dirty, cold, hunted, injured
dies alone and in pain
probably doesn't wonder what it did to deserve this

the poisoned cat
I wish I hadn't read about it

Consider the suffering of those intelligent & complex social animals: the human family of the cat
Will the widow who sleeps with the cat in her arms be hurt? Is that your mom?
How do you explain to a child that someone poisoned her cat on purpose?

Our overriding moral purpose should be to reduce suffering.

Rapid motion through space elates one; so does notoriety; so does the possession of money.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:04 AM   #126
Beginner

Garage
Reduce one's own suffering or the suffering of others? I would choose others. Dissenting opinions?
Old 06-06-2014, 03:24 AM   #127
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Oh I get it all right. Da big bad kitty cat is doing you harm
I just don't believe in harming house pets

And no I'm not a PETA member nor would be one

read post#91, maybe that will sink in
Went back and read it just for you.

Keep your stupid cat out of my yard. Show some respect.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:41 AM   #128
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre shags View Post
Consider the suffering of an intelligent & complex social animal: the abducted cat
a family pet used to sleeping in warmth, fed free & loved
will live about 2 years feral (but not in Winnipeg)
soon starving, emaciated, dirty, cold, hunted, injured
dies alone and in pain
probably doesn't wonder what it did to deserve this

the poisoned cat
I wish I hadn't read about it

Consider the suffering of those intelligent & complex social animals: the human family of the cat
Will the widow who sleeps with the cat in her arms be hurt? Is that your mom?
How do you explain to a child that someone poisoned her cat on purpose?

Our overriding moral purpose should be to reduce suffering.
Consider the pain and trauma a finch feels after it's been welcomed to my yard by a feeder only to have its wings and head ripped off by a neighbor's trespassing cat.

And what of the psychological pain a person feels (some, anyway) after running over this cat who was allowed to stray freely by day and night and decided to cross the street? And to be the owner, and know it was YOUR very own action that made this tragedy possible by letting it out?

Consider my blood pressure rising to unsafe levels and my frustration and the desperation of wondering why me when I dig my flower bed only to find someone's cat's shat?

Agreed, the poisoning comment is disgusting. No room for that. Be a man and talk to the neighbor or remove it and take it to a shelter. Or take some non lethal steps to repel it.

I swear...some cat people............. Everyone else should love having my cat in their yards just because I sure do!!!

Last edited by Timco; 06-06-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:45 AM   #129

My neighborhood has a couple of outdoor cats. I really don't see what any of the fuss is about. A couple shot with the hose has kept them away from the cars and we used a bulk size container of cayenne pepper to keep all animals out of flower beds.

I'm not a cat person (allergic). When I was a kid I had a cat that was shot by a neighbor. That was pretty upsetting.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:25 AM   #130
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
You do know what animal annoys me? Geese. Those f**kers crap all over the driveway and sidewalks, tear up the yard. Cats haven't done that to me. It's also an issue at uni, too, as one has to dodge the crap all over the sidewalks. But, admittedly it is fun to get them riled up by walking too close to their young.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Old 06-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #131

I've skimmed over this thread and did not see my solution. I had an issue with the neighbors cat on my Boxster and it "fluffing" the top before it laid down. I got one of the disposable snap seal containers and on the sides drilled lots of 1/4 inch holes. I put moth balls in the container and snapped it shut. I put the container on top of my convertible top. The smell keeps the cat away and I don't have to worry about killing or hurting the cat. The container is easily moved when I go out.

Keysguy,

PS I do believe that responsible pet owners do not let their animals wander free. I have spoken with my neighbor about the cat but decided not to press the issue because I have solution and don't need a neighbor war.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #132

Garage
Wild Game

In the first two weeks we had Lucky, she chased a fox from the back yard. She hunted the usual critters until the table was turned on her. Wylie got her one night. Lived by the sword and died by the sword. I called her Lucky because she was lucky we didn't give her back after the girls "found" her. Guess it wasn't a stupid statement after all.

Quote:
I was mocking the comments made by another. (making a joke).

I wasn't the one that made a stupid statement about cats hunting wild game. I seriously doubt a house cat (or even a feral one) would hunt wild game. Mice, rats, small birds and of course 986 soft tops definitely, but wild game, don't think so

Seriously, you have all those animals in an urban area? Urban areas generally are the inner city or at least the highly built up areas of a city. They typically are not large plots of land with lots of space around them.

I have not been to Winnipeg, so I can't know for sure, but you really have moose, deer and bear wandering around the urban part of the city? Maybe in the suburbs and outlying areas, but in the city?

I live in the suburbs of San Diego and we do see coyote in the street every now and then, but I live very near a large park are that is completely undeveloped. Hell we see skunks, raccoons, and lots of rattlesnakes and other forest creatures in the trails, but its a rare site in the neighborhood. We even had a mountain lion spotted the other day. Now that kitty could do some serious damage to a car.

Hell, BigJake's schoolmate caused far more damage and no one is advocating shooting, poisoning or otherwise harming him

I guess you like mice and rats, because cats are really good for keeping them away.

I'm not some kind of PETA wacko (not to insult PETA people), but anyone that advocates cruelty to animals should have the same done to them.

For crying out loud, its a cat and there are lots of ways to protect you car that don't involve violence and childish behavior
Old 06-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #133

Garage
I ended up using a lint roller. Works very well!
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Old 06-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #134

BB guns, especially old, underpowered ones are the bane of the sniper's art. When stalking the wily Box-cat, the operator needs a compact weapon capable of dispensing overwhelming force. The S&W Model 27-2 .357 magnum is just the tool.
One shot, and the mangy little litterbox loser will be an oversized ball of red fluff. Neighbors, you ask? We don't need no stinkin' neighbors. Say, why do you think God invented black plastic garbage bags, anyway?
Old 06-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #135
kls

My mom was terribly allergic to cats, so of course we never owned one ourselves. The problem was we didn't need to because many of our neighbors had them. She constantly suffered from congestion and had to take numerous medications just to get through the day. About 8 years ago she died. We can't say that it was an allergic reaction to cats, but we know that there were two cats that seemed to hang out in her garden and that was where she died. We begged the neighbors to keep their cats indoors, but all of them. almost without exception, thought that their cats deserved to roam freely. I will always hate cats because of that.

Of course that whole story is all BS, just like most stories on this thread. The point is, if you love cats that's great, just keep them on your property. I love my grandkids but I'm pretty sure you won't think they're so cute if they're sitting on your porsche.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #136

I've always proven I'm smart enough to control various animal's behaviour without harming them except the human variety. Humans have so many drives that sometimes pain is required in order to get their attention.

The top of the food change has thought, before action, except those with a " socialopathic personality complex" and they're simplistic, apathetic knee-jerk, violent reaction makes them stand out in a crowd....shooting, poisoning and drowning animals is 'anti-social' and cowardly behaviour- next time you want to harm an animal come look me up and I'll teach you things you never wanted to know. :dance:
Old 06-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #137

And then there's the over-zealous Americans and their worship of their ' property rights', blah, blah. "You come on my property and I'll shoot you ********************!". Hey how's that work'in for ya folks? I watch 'cops' and ' the first 48 hrs' and it seems America is by far the most dangerous 'peaceful' country in the world. (Hey Mark T will you move 200 miles south please- you'll fit in there real well). All your precious false pretentions to violence are just like a dragon eating its own tail. Shoot away 'cause you have 'a right to'!
Old 06-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysguy View Post
I've skimmed over this thread and did not see my solution. I had an issue with the neighbors cat on my Boxster and it "fluffing" the top before it laid down. I got one of the disposable snap seal containers and on the sides drilled lots of 1/4 inch holes. I put moth balls in the container and snapped it shut. I put the container on top of my convertible top. The smell keeps the cat away and I don't have to worry about killing or hurting the cat. The container is easily moved when I go out.

Keysguy,

PS I do believe that responsible pet owners do not let their animals wander free. I have spoken with my neighbor about the cat but decided not to press the issue because I have solution and don't need a neighbor war.
TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN
Old 06-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeA View Post
I guess if someone instinctively swerves to miss a stray cat that darts out in front of them and that driver ends up wrapping their car around a telephone pole, and dies as a result of their injuries, well THAT would also be considered just an "act of god", right? Awesome, just whatever you do or whatever happens, do NOT blame the owner of the cat.
Better yet, take an emergency skid- control course or participate in autocrossing or car racing and become skilled enough to brilliantly HANDLEan emergency- situation and forget the telephone post all together.

PS Don't look at the pole or the ravine-- eyes up, looking where you WANT to go...

THERE! Now you don't have to blame kittie! You're a big boy now!!!!
Old 06-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #140
Certified Boxster Addict

I have a similar but worse problem with the local roaming outdoor cats - they really like to piss inside a car if you happen to leave a window down overnight - and remember that the Spec Boxster has no windows at all. My race car would be the local cat urinal without any preventative measures.

My solution - car cover. My car is easily and affordably protected and the cats go piss or sleep on someone else's car.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
Closed Thread