Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
If they total out the car, they are effectively buying the car from you and title goes to them. If they then sell it to you as salvage, then I would think that they have to list it on title as salvage.

Now that being said, I had a car that was rear ended and when I settled with the insurance company (other persons company) I asked them to adjust the amount paid to me to cover the "salvage" amount and since title never changed, the title stayed with me as clean title
I would be settling also, and adjust the salvage amount and the title would stay clear right?

alanqning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #22

How much would a 2.7 with imsb, rms, luks flywheel, stage 3 clutch masters, limited slip diff engine/trans combo be worth? Wheres Jake?!
Old 05-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #23
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanqning View Post
I would be settling also, and adjust the salvage amount and the title would stay clear right?

That's what I would try to do.

Settle on both the payout and the salvage amount and adjust the cash to you.
Don't forget to add loss of use in the settlement. They should either give you a rental car for the time the car is out of service or pay you the daily rate for each day. Of course since you have a premium high performance luxuary car, the daily rate is much higher
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #24

Take the money and run, wait, negotiate how much they value your car at. Get high ball values from NADA, KBB and negotiate. Car prices aRe opinions, not written in stone. If you can make a good case that your car is at the upper end of the value, you will get more coin.

Push to make sure they total your car. If you push to get it repaired, it will never be the same after that much damage and will be worth much less because now it has a history of major repair. These cars are a dime a dozen, you can easily get a better Box in this market than what you have if you can beat up on the insurance co and they give you a good settlement. Dont let emotion Influence your decision. Let the car go and move on.

Now, as far as salvage value goes, if you want to buy the car back for salvage, again, everything is negotiable. Low ball them on the salvage, offer $500 then move up from there. They are not in the salvage business and know that a real salvage co will pay about that, so if they get it from you with a stroke of the pen, they will do it than deal with a salvage co. You can part it out for a good $4-7k just for a good motor, trans and and interior.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:21 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Take the money and run, wait, negotiate how much they value your car at. Get high ball values from NADA, KBB and negotiate. Car prices aRe opinions, not written in stone. If you can make a good case that your car is at the upper end of the value, you will get more coin.

Push to make sure they total your car. If you push to get it repaired, it will never be the same after that much damage and will be worth much less because now it has a history of major repair. These cars are a dime a dozen, you can easily get a better Box in this market than what you have if you can beat up on the insurance co and they give you a good settlement. Dont let emotion Influence your decision. Let the car go and move on.

Now, as far as salvage value goes, if you want to buy the car back for salvage, again, everything is negotiable. Low ball them on the salvage, offer $500 then move up from there. They are not in the salvage business and know that a real salvage co will pay about that, so if they get it from you with a stroke of the pen, they will do it than deal with a salvage co. You can part it out for a good $4-7k just for a good motor, trans and and interior.
They were willing to give me over blue book value, they car much more about what similar cars go for in your area on sites like autotrader. Of the comparables they sent me, 1 was an S and the other was I highly optioned 2.7 with nav. These cars are hard to replaced and thankfully insurance understands that.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:25 AM   #26

Garage
Make sure that you have your own adjuster of the car, see if any Porsche folks from your area knows the body shop most Porsches go to, if you have a lawyer friend they will likely know what body shop will do things right instead of a botch job done by whoever insurance suggests. If you are not at fault, you can request all new parts I believe based off of the car being a Porsche, and the way the car is unibody labor of a repair can skyrocket quick if the right components are damaged.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:11 PM   #27

Or look for a roller with blown IMS and swap engines. That MY was particularly prone to IMS failure so one should come along that would be a good candidate.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 05-31-2014 at 12:13 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #28

I think .5" is a lot especially once it's reversed-- forever weaker than before the incident. Nonetheless, it would be a good start for someone's racecar. Is there a colour you'd prefer?
Old 06-02-2014, 06:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Or look for a roller with blown IMS and swap engines. That MY was particularly prone to IMS failure so one should come along that would be a good candidate.
Sadly, I don't see a roller candidate right now.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #30

What luck! KWF may have a roller.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote