Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #21

Dies just like I cut off the key... I am getting a tow to Gainesville, fl, does anybody know of a good shop there? I think I am going to get this one checked out by the pros.

steved0x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #22

It dies just like if I had turned off the key...

I am getting towed to Gainesville, fl, does anyone have a recommendation there?
Old 05-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #23

Whew made it back home, I will update everybody once I figure it out
Old 05-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #24

Garage
Sorry to hear this, Steve,- good luck with it. Hopefully it's something relatively simple.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #25

Looks like it is the crank sensor. The shop wants to give it a good once over to see what else it needs but they haven't finished that yet today. If I would have had that sensor and my jack and tools I could have changed it out in around an hour or less. Maybe I should buy 1 of every part and carry it with me... I wonder how much that would cost... And a trailer for all my tools and the car... hmmm...

Hopefully the money I saved on the tow (took it to Continental Imports in Gainesville which saved me around 40 miles of towing) will cover the labor part of the work...
Old 05-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #26

The shop has a quote for me. $500 to replace the sensor, $250 for the part (and they said it was not the Porsche branded part but the Bosch part) and $250 for labor. I indicated that the Bosch part is around $125 for pretty much everywhere else and should take an hour max. They are "checking" and going to get back with me in the morning.

Is it just me? I understand they need to make a little upcharge on the part but not 100%, and $250 seems like a lot of labor. They didn't even have to do much diagnostic work, the CEL that popped at the end was the CEL for the crank sensor.

Since I have posted a couple of other threads where I was kind of whining about cost, maybe it is just me? [Edit: or maybe it is why I, and many of us, like to do our own work whenever possible...]

At least I will have the car back soon and it wasn't anything major

Last edited by steved0x; 05-12-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:12 AM   #27
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Ouch on the cost. I know it's a Porsche, but damn.

Glad it was something simple, though.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:16 AM   #28
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
The shop has a quote for me Bla bla bla...

Is it just me? Bla bla bla... seems like a lot of labor.
Typical Boxster owner vs. the typical Porsche owner who bought their car new.

We (not all) for the most part are tight wads. Especially since the many of those on the board now bought their boxster second hand at a fraction of the original retail price.

Shops will typically charge retail or a little more for parts. they will also typically charge one hour to diagnostic in addition to the time required to replace the part. Price of convenience these days.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #29

looks like it is time to pass by harbor freight and pick up a cheap code reader...
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
Typical Boxster owner vs. the typical Porsche owner who bought their car new.

We (not all) for the most part are tight wads. Especially since the many of those on the board now bought their boxster second hand at a fraction of the original retail price.

Shops will typically charge retail or a little more for parts. they will also typically charge one hour to diagnostic in addition to the time required to replace the part. Price of convenience these days.
Convenience, that is the key word. And I fall into the tightwad camp most definitely
Old 05-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdass623 View Post
looks like it is time to pass by harbor freight and pick up a cheap code reader...
I have the durametric, I just wasn't able to use it because I didn't have the software loaded on the new laptop yet that I brought with me... doh!