Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #1

Coolant leakage after radiator replacement

Hi all,

Last week, my girl friend drove my (1998) tiptronic boxster at nite and hit on a huge stone accidentally.... right bumper got slightly scratched and coolant has been leaking from the bottom right...

So I managed to drive the car home ... replaced the damaged radiator.. no more leakage on the front. I kind of followed the instructions as mentioned by pellican guide in burping the air in the system.

However, once my car has been warmed up , both the radiator manage to turn on now... the back of the car start leaking some coolant on to the floor... And im so suspicious... coz i have replaced the radiator.... and its only the front part that got hit.... why is there leakage at the back..

Could anyone please advice? Is there a hole somewhere near the engine bay to leak coolant out if there is an overflow or over pressure of air? Its making me very headache!! Thank you in advance if anyone could help !!!

Patrick

Last edited by megapat; 05-07-2014 at 09:23 AM.
megapat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by megapat View Post
Hi all,

Last week, my girl friend drove my (1998) tiptronic boxster at nite and hit on a huge stone accidentally.... right bumper got slightly scratched and coolant has been leaking from the bottom right...

So I managed to drive the car home ... replaced the damaged radiator.. no more leakage on the front. I kind of followed the instructions as mentioned by pellican guide in burping the air in the system.

However, once my car has been warmed up , both the radiator manage to turn on now... the back of the car start leaking some coolant on to the floor... And im so suspicious... coz i have replaced the radiator.... and its only the front part that got hit.... why is there leakage at the back..

Could anyone please advice? Is there a hole somewhere near the engine bay to leak coolant out if there is an overflow or over pressure of air? Its making me very headache!! Thank you in advance if anyone could help !!!

Patrick
You still have air in the system and it is causing the system to create hot spots and overflow.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You still have air in the system and it is causing the system to create hot spots and overflow.
Thanx for your quick reply. Mate

May i ask what should i do to fully get rid of the air....

So which means the leakage of the coolant is not caused by a broken hose... And shd be a overflow of coolant.. great!

Could u pls advice any further procedure i shd perform... Shd i keep warming the engine and rev it and leave it overnite with bleed value open? Or any suggestions?

Thanx

Pat
Old 05-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #4

are you sure your coolant cap is on correctly? it's very easy to thread it wrong. did you turn on the heater while burping / bleeding? also, the tip has a slightly different "bleed" procedure than a manual by pulling the fuse.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 05-07-2014 at 10:29 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
Registered Boxster abuser

And although obvious to some people it may not be to all... do not overfill the reservoir, coolant expands and contracts, if overfilled excess will be force out onto the ground over a period of time. Just fill to the max line and keep an eye on it. As JFP mentioned you most likely still have air the system and it may take a while to completely bleed out.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
are you sure your coolant cap is on correctly? it's very easy to thread it wrong. did you turn on the heater while burping / bleeding? also, the tip has a slightly different "bleed" procedure than a manual by pulling the fuse.
Shd i keep the coolant cap open and click the bleed valve to the vertical position when i turn on the heater? Then leave the car overnite with coolant cap and bleed valve opened?

I reckon the tip has a diff procedure when pulling the fuse... when i unplug the fuse, everythg in the dashboard didnt work... Is it normal or its the wrong fuse?

sorry for asking too many questions... Coz theres just too many question marks in my head nw! Thanx
Old 05-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by megapat View Post
Thanx for your quick reply. Mate

May i ask what should i do to fully get rid of the air....

So which means the leakage of the coolant is not caused by a broken hose... And shd be a overflow of coolant.. great!

Could u pls advice any further procedure i shd perform... Shd i keep warming the engine and rev it and leave it overnite with bleed value open? Or any suggestions?

Thanx

Pat
The correct way to refill the system is under vacuum, which totally eliminates any chance of air pockets.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #8

Exactly. You need a good air compressor and one of these:

Problem solved.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #9

I used this when I flushed the coolant on my Tacoma, worked like a champ. Later on I did the "put a funnel in the radiator and bleed" as a check (since it was my first time using the uview) and no air came out. This was weeks ago and I still haven't had to add any coolant.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #10

I agree, I wish I have the vacuum device but doing it regularly is not wrong, just not the best method. Porsche rear or mid engine is more suspeptible to air bc of the 1-mile long coolant line
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The [best] way to refill the system is under vacuum, which totally eliminates any chance of air pockets.

Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote