Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #1

Windshield woes

Cracked windshield. Any issues with going with aftermarket glass, or should it be coming from Porsche?? If so, why?

Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I need to check mine, but I think it's made by Sekurit. Personally, I'd go with OE glass as I've heard too many bad stories (in the Mercedes community) about aftermarket windshields being a bit wavy.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #3

Cool Cracked Windshield

Hello,
I Can agree only with OE Glass by Securit. You don't want to take a chance with aftermarket once, besides there's not much savings anyway ..
Securit are not only supplied by a Porsche dealer in fact, they source them out to independent installer/supplier specifying Securit brand.
Let us know what happens.. Thx...
t2-Bxtrs
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #4

Aftermarket isn't bad as long as you tell the installer you want to see it off the car before installation. If it is not clear (wavy) just tell him you want him to come back with one that's not wavy.

Factory glass is terribly expensive and not worth it in my opinion when you can just make the company bring out a new piece of glass that's better and tell them you don't want crap on your car.

The other issue is the retainer hoop on the windshield. The mobile installer I used called me to reschedule saying that I would need to provide one or he would use the generic gasket they have for windshields. I had it shipped to me from Sunset Imports (cheapest place I could find it) but it arrived bent by UPS and it was worthless, so I got credit for it and had them use the generic gasket material... which I actually think looks better!

You just might get points taken off at concours though.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 05-05-2014 at 12:03 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #5

my only real concern would be whether there was an antenna in the replacement glass
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #6

Garage
I replaced mine about 5+ years ago. If I recall, it was pricey! I'm thinking around $900 installed. It was at a Porsche dealership. I remember inquiring about an aftermarket one but don't remember why I didn't go with it???

SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote