Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 02:06 AM   #1

2014 Porsche Carrera Cup in the paddock (lots of pics)

This year my wife and I got hosted by the Porsche Carrera Cup group. They are running the 2014 Chinese F1GP Support Event and doing it in the best of their capacity believe me. It was nice!

The buffet and champagne was one of the best I had in weeks Paddock passes also allowed us to go spy on some of the latest F1 tech in the pit lane... but this year one of their FIA marshal confiscated my Canon EOS cam and returned it to me when we left the pit area - HD cams are not allowed anymore, mobile phones only.

Baffled exhaust etc... my boxster's NHP performance exhaust now sounds better than a F1 car. For those who didn't know, the loud F1 car engine noise if simply 'gone'. No more. The air intake noise is louder than the engine revs themselves. Very very very SAD. Screw F1 cars anyway, we like Porsche cars anyway!

Those Gt3 are nasty fast.... thank god I don't have one of those I'd kill myself.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:07 AM   #2

Old 04-20-2014, 02:10 AM   #3

bumper sticker for one there. The team infinity paddock transport vehicle. Good taste huh!

Last edited by Nine8Six; 04-20-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:56 AM   #4

RE 'electric' F1 cars sound. That was a first for me today.... shattering.

Is the Sound of the New 2014 Formula 1 Engines a Problem on TV? | Bleacher Report
Old 04-20-2014, 03:34 AM   #5

Did you sell any headlight upgrades while you were there ? Just kidding thanks for the pics.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Did you sell any headlight upgrades while you were there ? Just kidding thanks for the pics.
ah! nah, we are busy trying to understand/sharing business models and ideas with various organizers, while enjoying what you see above. Porsche is a great company I admit, they put on good but effective tech out for us out there. Above shows clearly that they are having fun testing it as well. Brilliant Co

I'd love my employer to cooperate with them, I'll be honest

Most who knows me knows of my past experiences with prototypes (gp) moto engines and rather eccentric hobbies. And no, nobody knows about the superb Nine8Six performance "bi-xenon" headlights for 9X6s. That is between a few members here and I only (TOP SECRET).

Funny enough today my mate texted me a pic of a 996 having my headlights in the circuit front parking lot :/ shocking when it comes to that lol
Old 04-20-2014, 04:03 AM   #7

You are welcome for the pics. Knew for sure some here would love to see the new cup car
Old 04-20-2014, 04:11 AM   #8
Gone

Garage
Fantastic. Thanks
Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #9

Garage
Thanks for the pics!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:30 AM   #10

Garage
Great pics Fred, thanks!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:20 AM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

Sounds like it was an awesome experience and great pic's! Loved 'em.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #12

Garage
Awesome pics!! Thanks for posting!! Any shots of the F1 cars?
F1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #13

very cool pics.

I was watching the GP and noticed that some of the grand stands were completely empty.
Are tickets prices way out of the reach of the locals?

p.s.
I may be the only one but I'm glad those kitchen blender F1 engines are gone. No loss to me. For me the ultimate engines were the F1 engines of the late early/mid 80's. The sound of Senna in a Lotus or Piquet in a Brabham lighting up Monaco qualifying made it standing room only. Actually I think the Cosworth DFV of the Jackie Stewart era were the best.

F1 has lost the plot with this run away spending. It's simply obscene. And to top it off it doesn't even give us provide us with racing that put emphasis on mechanical grip. This whole DRS gimmick is simply a way to cover that up. /rant off.

p.p.s.
Great to see Vettel getting his arse handed to him by the rookie yet again!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-20-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #14

Garage
Nice trip!!

Yeah...new F1 sounds=snoozer. Hoping Bernie can get his way and make things a bit more noisy. Miss 19K.

That said....am enjoying the season and watching Vettel struggle. Go Hammy!!!!! Go Alonso!!!
Old 04-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #15
2002 Boxster S

Garage
You lucky dog! Fabulous pix, mate -- thanks for sharing them!

Regarding F1 noise, did you notice that everyone in the 2013 vid was wearing industrial hearing protection, while the fans in the 2014 vid were just enjoying a day at the track! It probably sounded BETTER with the quiet cars because you could listen to the race directly without risk of permanent hearing damage.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #16

Thanks for sharing. Makes me me just a little jealous.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1GP View Post
Awesome pics!! Thanks for posting!! Any shots of the F1 cars?
Nope, this year they saw me coming from a mile away and took away my HD cam right off my neck. With a huge cracking smile he said "commercial secrets, sorry". He then flipped my paddock badge over, wrote my name/org down on his palm, and shown me the way in the pit lane. Very embarrassing lol

You have to understand them. Some idiots (just like myself!) goes there and shoot "HD" pics of their tech and garages, and then 'freely' publish this onto car forums Below are the very last crop of HD pics I have of those F1s. Gots hundreds more if you are looking for something in particular - let me know.

My wife was taking pics with her iPhone but believe me, I don't even need to check to find out they are not F1 tech related. She likes to take pictures of those handsome kids working in the pits. Naughty girl!

Last edited by Nine8Six; 04-20-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
very cool pics.

I was watching the GP and noticed that some of the grand stands were completely empty.
Are tickets prices way out of the reach of the locals?

p.s.
I may be the only one but I'm glad those kitchen blender F1 engines are gone. No loss to me. For me the ultimate engines were the F1 engines of the late early/mid 80's. The sound of Senna in a Lotus or Piquet in a Brabham lighting up Monaco qualifying made it standing room only. Actually I think the Cosworth DFV of the Jackie Stewart era were the best.

F1 has lost the plot with this run away spending. It's simply obscene. And to top it off it doesn't even give us provide us with racing that put emphasis on mechanical grip. This whole DRS gimmick is simply a way to cover that up. /rant off.

p.p.s.
Great to see Vettel getting his arse handed to him by the rookie yet again!
PL - the motorsport industry is still at its infantry here. Nothing to do with finance. Unlike us, the car culture is only starting here.

RE money. The average Shanghainese & Porsche enthusiast, do not change his IMS bearing. Never happened here LOL They simply buy another Pcar (or few) when the warranty runs out mate

F1 noise is missing and that is a huge lost for many PL. I'll have to disagree with you but F1 racing goes with the sounds of motorsport. Got to be "powerful" and it got to go right through the sternum. No more, sorry but this is shattering man

I get to watch the "start/launch" of the race right from behind the little fence you see there below, Just so I have a good "doze" of it minimum once a year. Really helps living up the sport to its best. So loud they actually close down the first row of the grand stand to keep people's little fragile ears safe.

My wife is as brave as I am!
Old 04-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
You lucky dog! Fabulous pix, mate -- thanks for sharing them!

Regarding F1 noise, did you notice that everyone in the 2013 vid was wearing industrial hearing protection, while the fans in the 2014 vid were just enjoying a day at the track! It probably sounded BETTER with the quiet cars because you could listen to the race directly without risk of permanent hearing damage.
You can hear the turbo kicking in, the air boxes going mad, and what I've also noticed... the tires locking/squeaking before some of the corners.

New sounds indeed. Totally new to me. And I DON'T like it

I want the chainsaw wingggg wing wing sound back lol
Old 04-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #20

Ummm... Is it just me or is Bridgestone in EVERY picture of that last set of F1 pics, including being ON both the RB and the McLaren.

F1 Teams: We don't get to pick our own tires much but when we do, they're Bridgestone...

2002 Boxster S
2006 Cayman S
N0tt0N is offline   Reply With Quote