Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 04:25 AM   #1

Stalling after MAF cleaning.

97' just turned 80k, less that 3k in the last 12 mos. Had it about 3years, only had oil changes-no known issues.
CEL lit the other day-
P0108 code (if I remember correctly) - looked it up at the time and the consensus was dirty MAF. Took it out, spayed MAF cleaner in and out and reinstalled it. Didn't get to test it right away. First time I've even had the cover off the engine compartment.

Next day I cranked it, no start. Second, third crank, sluggish start-stumble, stall. Finally caught, runs rough- went for a neighborhood drive 1/4 mi. away it stalls driving. Re-start, made it home. Sits for 4 hours.

Round2, starts right up. Back down the drive-stall. CEL light on P0102. Drove it a bit, ran better with the CEL on. Reset the code. Drove home. Stalled again 1/2 way home, and again pulling into the drive.

Gonna check the MAF installation to make sure I got it back in and properly connected.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jb

theboogins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #2

Apparently cleaning the MAF is a hit and miss,may need a new one.I have cleaned MAF,s on lots off cars but have yet to do my Boxster.There may be a reset procedure after getting this cheak engine light and cleaning it, other than just a reset with the code reader.Cheak web for that first before getting a new one.
moresquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
jakesbox

Disconnect the maf and take it for a quick spin. If it runs perfect then the problem is the maf. If it still stumbles then it is something else.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #4

Success story (I think!)

Disconnected the Harness as suggested and it ran Ok for a couple of minutes. Hmmm.

Started over- -removed the sensor, cleaned again, reconnected the harness, buttoned up. Started immediately- went for a short spin- no probs.

Sat and idles for a a min or two and the CEL started blinking. Connected my generic obd2 up and it threw off 13 codes- that's right 13.

I reset it, assumed it was the ECU having a fit- went for another short drive- no CEL.
No time for a more thorough test but it runs well, no stalls- so I'm optimistic.

Thanks for the help.
theboogins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboogins View Post
Disconnected the Harness as suggested and it ran Ok for a couple of minutes. Hmmm.

Started over- -removed the sensor, cleaned again, reconnected the harness, buttoned up. Started immediately- went for a short spin- no probs.

Sat and idles for a a min or two and the CEL started blinking. Connected my generic obd2 up and it threw off 13 codes- that's right 13.

I reset it, assumed it was the ECU having a fit- went for another short drive- no CEL.
No time for a more thorough test but it runs well, no stalls- so I'm optimistic.

Thanks for the help.
What were the codes?
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #6

After cleaning I was told you have to disconnect the battery for ECU to re calibrate from scratch, worth a try if it plays up again.
Guvs.
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
DIY extremist

Just an FYI about anything dealing with the DME....

On my 986, you can reset the DME by pulling the fuse labeled engine electronics without having to reset everything else in the car like radio code and climate settings. Just leave it out for a minute or two.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #8

Garage
It sounds like a bad connection at the harness of the MAF. Like maybe a signal wire is broken or about to break and moving the connector around has fixed it. Or the MAF itself is intermittently working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:46 AM   #9

Garage
I cleaned the MAF lasted about a week. I just replaced it, havent had a problem since.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #10

Try cleaning the throttle position sensor mechanism.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000