986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Stalling after MAF cleaning. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51495-stalling-after-maf-cleaning.html)

theboogins 04-04-2014 04:25 AM

Stalling after MAF cleaning.

97' just turned 80k, less that 3k in the last 12 mos. Had it about 3years, only had oil changes-no known issues.
CEL lit the other day-
P0108 code (if I remember correctly) - looked it up at the time and the consensus was dirty MAF. Took it out, spayed MAF cleaner in and out and reinstalled it. Didn't get to test it right away. First time I've even had the cover off the engine compartment.

Next day I cranked it, no start. Second, third crank, sluggish start-stumble, stall. Finally caught, runs rough- went for a neighborhood drive 1/4 mi. away it stalls driving. Re-start, made it home. Sits for 4 hours.

Round2, starts right up. Back down the drive-stall. CEL light on P0102. Drove it a bit, ran better with the CEL on. Reset the code. Drove home. Stalled again 1/2 way home, and again pulling into the drive.

Gonna check the MAF installation to make sure I got it back in and properly connected.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jb

moresquirt 04-04-2014 01:32 PM

Apparently cleaning the MAF is a hit and miss,may need a new one.I have cleaned MAF,s on lots off cars but have yet to do my Boxster.There may be a reset procedure after getting this cheak engine light and cleaning it, other than just a reset with the code reader.Cheak web for that first before getting a new one.

trimer 04-04-2014 01:43 PM

Disconnect the maf and take it for a quick spin. If it runs perfect then the problem is the maf. If it still stumbles then it is something else.

theboogins 04-05-2014 02:26 PM

Success story (I think!)

Disconnected the Harness as suggested and it ran Ok for a couple of minutes. Hmmm.

Started over- -removed the sensor, cleaned again, reconnected the harness, buttoned up. Started immediately- went for a short spin- no probs.

Sat and idles for a a min or two and the CEL started blinking. Connected my generic obd2 up and it threw off 13 codes- that's right 13.

I reset it, assumed it was the ECU having a fit- went for another short drive- no CEL.
No time for a more thorough test but it runs well, no stalls- so I'm optimistic.

Thanks for the help.

trimer 04-07-2014 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboogins (Post 394395)
Disconnected the Harness as suggested and it ran Ok for a couple of minutes. Hmmm.

Started over- -removed the sensor, cleaned again, reconnected the harness, buttoned up. Started immediately- went for a short spin- no probs.

Sat and idles for a a min or two and the CEL started blinking. Connected my generic obd2 up and it threw off 13 codes- that's right 13.

I reset it, assumed it was the ECU having a fit- went for another short drive- no CEL.
No time for a more thorough test but it runs well, no stalls- so I'm optimistic.

Thanks for the help.

What were the codes?

Guvs 04-09-2014 07:26 AM

After cleaning I was told you have to disconnect the battery for ECU to re calibrate from scratch, worth a try if it plays up again.
Guvs.

black_box 04-09-2014 07:58 AM

Just an FYI about anything dealing with the DME....

On my 986, you can reset the DME by pulling the fuse labeled engine electronics without having to reset everything else in the car like radio code and climate settings. Just leave it out for a minute or two.

epapp 04-09-2014 02:19 PM

It sounds like a bad connection at the harness of the MAF. Like maybe a signal wire is broken or about to break and moving the connector around has fixed it. Or the MAF itself is intermittently working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikesz 04-10-2014 04:46 AM

I cleaned the MAF lasted about a week. I just replaced it, havent had a problem since.

san rensho 04-10-2014 03:03 PM

Try cleaning the throttle position sensor mechanism.