Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 06:35 AM   #1

Loose windshield part - how to fix?

I don't even know what this thing is called, but it's come loose and I have no clue how to reattach it. Do you?

Old 04-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #2

Garage
I'll be darned! You're not going to believe this, I had the same thing happen to me last weekend. On the same side also. The gasket started flopping against the windshield and got my attention enough to make me pull over. I discovered it was stuck down with butyl and that the butyl had dried out. There is a cap that you can pry off that exposes a little plastic nut, but that won't solve your problem. Don't worry it won't come completely off because there's a screw holding it down. I haven't gotten into mine yet but it looks like the whole thing has to come off and new sticky-stuff (butyl) needs to be applied down. Below is a link to what it's called and the parts around it. (no affiliation)

Particle Filter Cowl Panel Covering
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #3

The lip on the rubber seal fits onto the back lip on the cowl panel with just pressure. But the nature of aging causes the unsecured edges of the cowl panel to lift slightly, and the rubber seal at that point is no longer pressed tightly to the windshield, so it can separate from the cowl panel.

Mine had no butyl on it. Where exactly was this? Maybe I need to add some.

BTW before you start the project to remove the cowl, which takes a few minutes, basic tools, and some wiggling: slip down to Home Depot or similar and buy yourself a few feet of clear vinyl tubing about 3/8" diameter. Slit this down the middle with a utility knife, and apply it to the back edge of the frunk lid to overlap the area of this edge that corresponds to the location of the wipers where they fold upward for servicing.
Now as you go back and forth from under the frunk lid to do this job, you won't penalize your paint for forgetting what position the wiper arms are in!

BOL
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #4

These plastic cowl covers on all new cars are suprisingly inexpensive and degrade rapidly in the sun. I recently replaced the same part on my wifes 5yo Mini cooper due to the rubber lip turning into a sticky mess. The Porsche version seems to be holding up a little better. I would just replace the whole thing rather than attempt to fix it.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4 View Post
I'll be darned! You're not going to believe this, I had the same thing happen to me last weekend. On the same side also. The gasket started flopping against the windshield and got my attention enough to make me pull over. I discovered it was stuck down with butyl and that the butyl had dried out. There is a cap that you can pry off that exposes a little plastic nut, but that won't solve your problem. Don't worry it won't come completely off because there's a screw holding it down. I haven't gotten into mine yet but it looks like the whole thing has to come off and new sticky-stuff (butyl) needs to be applied down. Below is a link to what it's called and the parts around it. (no affiliation)

Particle Filter Cowl Panel Covering
Thanks, now I know what it's called. It's a bit over $100 at Pelican so I may just replace it.

Do guys mean butyl caulk?

Last edited by slogans7; 04-03-2014 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Clarify
slogans7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #6

I wouldn't pay $100 to replace it, but I'm a cheepo (just ask my kids). Given that the cowl is easy to remove, why not paint it?

I've had great luck with Rustoleum "Bumper and Trim" paint. I just painted the faded cowling on a 2000 Grand Cherokee I picked up a few weeks ago. I removed the cowl, cleaned it and wiped down with denatured alchohol and sprayed a few light coats of the bumper and trim paint.

It came out looking great and took very little effort. If you aren't pleased with your results, then buy new if you want.

Good luck!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #7

Garage
On a similar note, the trim on the A pillar part of the windshield is loose, any info on this?
kylekimball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
Beginner

Garage
Peel up the little cover by your hand. There is a 10mm bolt under it that holds the plastic air dam down. The air dam plastic under the bolt has broken, I repaired mine by removing it and re-enforcing the plastic surface under the bolt using 5 minute epoxy and some fiberglass cloth.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
Beginner

Garage
That is after taking the whole thing off.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #10

Garage
Jamesp, on mine the plastic surface and little bolt are all in tact. It was the black sticky stuff (I'm assuming butyl, that had dried out and was allowing the whole assembly to lift off the metal surface of the car. BrokenLinkage, that's a great idea about protecting the paint. I was just going to take my wiper arms clear off to avoid that mishap.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #11

The butyl most likely comes from an earlier repair attempt, i.e., isn't factory.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #12

Garage
You may be right Ikchris. I'm only the second owner and the car was fairly new when I bought it, soooo? I'll tear into it this weekend and try to post pics of this black sticky stuff!