Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #41

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to saintdrug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I bought mine from a used car lot that knew nothing about it and, 5 years later, I have absolutely no regrets. Who cares what the guy selling the car knows - it's what you know that's important.
true... plus I am in cyprus

saintdrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #42

Garage
Compromise... general consensus might as well be, You can get the car, but only if you do a PPI! The PPI is worth it since you are very serious about buying this car and there are not many other options.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:36 PM   #43

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Compromise... general consensus might as well be, You can get the car, but only if you do a PPI! The PPI is worth it since you are very serious about buying this car and there are not many other options.
will do I called the dealer and asked him to take the car to my mechanic for checkup he said ok so let see I will update u guys
Old 04-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #44

Garage
OK this weekend I went out of town, to take my BMW for full service so I can be ready to sell it and get my Porsche, and guess what I found! 2002 model, below, its €4K more than the other one, and he told me that he would be interested also in taking my car in and give me this Porsche, so what do you think? since it was sunday this means I will see him on Friday to test it and see the VIN too, but this is a 2002 model and has CD as well, the only thing I found not so good is the seats wearing just from first look, what do you think? please tell me which one I should go for and if its worth the 4K more for this, do you see anything to compare to the 1999? I think rims are bigger
and has BOZE speakers, a question though, when you have boze is this standard? does it have a woofer? how does the sound quality feel?

the color, so so but its ok

Old 04-14-2014, 04:55 AM   #45

Garage
Depends on mileage, if the car was an S it would be definitely worth the more money, seats can be fixed just care for them well. Overall you seem to be getting more for your money on the 2002 but it really comes down to the mileage. Cheers

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:04 AM   #46
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintdrug View Post
OK this weekend I went out of town, to take my BMW for full service so I can be ready to sell it and get my Porsche, and guess what I found! 2002 model, below, its €4K more than the other one, and he told me that he would be interested also in taking my car in and give me this Porsche, so what do you think? since it was sunday this means I will see him on Friday to test it and see the VIN too, but this is a 2002 model and has CD as well, the only thing I found not so good is the seats wearing just from first look, what do you think? please tell me which one I should go for and if its worth the 4K more for this, do you see anything to compare to the 1999? I think rims are bigger
and has BOZE speakers, a question though, when you have boze is this standard? does it have a woofer? how does the sound quality feel?

the color, so so but its ok

No secret places to hide subs. Mine are on top of the engine cover, big box with big, deep sound. The BOSE premium system my car came with stock kicks ass! With that year, you will get cup holders and a glove box, but otherwise about the same car. Rims are newer. How many fewer miles? I personally would insist the steering be put back on the correct side first, otherwise, find a proper right-hand-drive model. They're around.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:21 AM   #47

Actually, the glove box was introduced with the 2003 model, and I don't see cup holders on that dash, just cd holders.

It looks like a nice car. That color looks awesome with white wheels and a white door stripe. Keep in mind that this model has the single row IMS bearing, so you might want to put some money aside to address that if you get the car.

I think I'd be more inclined to go with the first one and spend the extra 4K on repairs and upgrades. Then you'll have a solid car. If you buy the newer one, you're still going to have to spend a couple of thousand on it above the purchase price.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #48

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Actually, the glove box was introduced with the 2003 model, and I don't see cup holders on that dash, just cd holders.

It looks like a nice car. That color looks awesome with white wheels and a white door stripe. Keep in mind that this model has the single row IMS bearing, so you might want to put some money aside to address that if you get the car.

I think I'd be more inclined to go with the first one and spend the extra 4K on repairs and upgrades. Then you'll have a solid car. If you buy the newer one, you're still going to have to spend a couple of thousand on it above the purchase price.
the single row IMS bearing
why is that? I mean how much does the ims bearing cost? and why would this model need more to fix than the other one.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:58 PM   #49

Type in IMS bearing in the search function and set yourself a couple of days freetime to read up on single row and double row bearing failures and remedies.....
Also look at < mikesporscheboxsterwebpages > for some very good advice on avoiding pitfalls.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:35 AM   #50

I didn't mean to imply that the new model would need more to fix, apart from the IMS issue. What I'm saying is that you will have to spend additional money no matter which car you buy, so the cheaper you get in, the more you have to spend on repairs, maintenance, and upgrades.

As for the IMS issue, there have been hundreds of posts and there is no point to me re-typing what has been said so many times before. You should spend a few evenings just reading back through this forum and educating yourself on the issues these cars experience and what to watch for when buying one. You will then be able to make a much more informed decision on which car to buy. While there is some value to posting pictures of the cars you are looking at and soliciting opinions, you are the man on the ground that has to make a decision and live with it. You will be much more comfortable with that if you know what you are doing.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:33 AM   #51

Garage
Guys, can anyone tell me how much would an oil change cost for this car? and for a typical small service, and for the 30K one?
Old 04-17-2014, 05:42 AM   #52
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintdrug View Post
Guys, can anyone tell me how much would an oil change cost for this car? and for a typical small service, and for the 30K one?
Just 10 quarts of oil and a filter. Same materials cost of any car, plus the extra oil.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #53

Garage
ok guys, 90% I closed the deal on the 2002 model, next week we will close it, I will not pay anything for it for giving my bmw x3, I chose this one because It has all the bose surround and woofer system, the agreement is to get it polished and fixed because of some scratches in the back hood, and full service and new tires, the only thing I would want to spend is a new key, because the one is weared out, and the back plastic glass needs like polish to be cleaned, I found something on ebay for 30 euro that says can help will try that to see, since it has the bose I guess I did the best deal, I will update you through my progress and share my experience when the time comes, this is the best day days in my life. oh and I would have to buy the caps because one is missing (found on ebay don't know how to change them)

ims shaft bearing, this is worrying me, I have been reading this forum (best ever) for 1 month now, so let me get this straight, this car is 2002, so if the ims had to fail it had to I mean its running for 12 years and no problem I guess, does this common problem HAS to appear? I mean just worried, what is this? do I have to change it at some point? not that I didn't have issues with my BMW! I paid 3K euro for new fly wheel, transfer box and some other clutch things, so .. u know I am already known and prepared to pain.

will the ims fail at all, is it like a consumable? please let me know that I have to worry for it to fail? I am in Cyprus, all the island is like a tiny state in usa, so u do understand what I am going though, although there are MANY porsches here in the island.

those are the pics from the site
Attached Images

Last edited by saintdrug; 04-25-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #54

Garage
more pics

Old 04-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #55

Garage
Check the VIN and see what year it is.
As Mark_T points out, there are discrepancy with the interior and year
I have 2002 and that is when cup holders came out, no glove box and the climate control is at bottom of stack. So unless someone rearranged and deleted cup holders, that interior is not consistent with 2002 offerings
The VIN will tell the story
Old 04-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #56
Damn Yankee

Garage
The battery cover is missing. See if the dealer will install a new one.

Please take a pic of the white label located under the front trunk lid and post it. We will be able to tell you a LOT more about this Boxster then.

Also, make sure the dealer replaces the tires with the sizes recommended by Porsche in the Owner's Manual. You only have one chance to get things sorted out before you close the deal.

Just sayin'..............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
As Mark_T points out, there are discrepancy with the interior and year
That comment was in reference to the first car he was looking at (the red one)
Old 04-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #58
Damn Yankee

Garage
Can you also post the mileage of the car?

Please tell us you actually drove this example. Every picture of a wheel shows rusted brake rotors. The rust should disappear after a few applications of the brakes.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:10 PM   #59

Garage
status update:
since the Porsche is in another city, and my BMW is getting fixed, I am replacing the transfer box and some glow plugs, I called my mechanic, he said he will point out the info you said, to change the brakes and do a full service to the car, also a polish to cover some scratches on the back that I found, I am sure he will not find me the battery cover, (can someone tell me on ebay how to find this?) so I have to start searching in ebay, Found this . And for the rims, its missing 1 logo so ill order 4 of those, I am waiting for the glow plugs of the bmw to come tomorrow so I can go there fix the bmw and give it to the guy to close the deal, since we agreed to just give my bmw for the Porsche with no extra cost, but I will make sure he does a full service on the car and then I will have to take care of the bits and pieces on it, the only thing I would like to add is a parrot Bluetooth and that's it, since it will be my daily car drive, and slowly I will see what I can do, from what I saw its a 2001 model so those dealers here they don't know anything... I will find the VIN and post as well my friends so I can get all the details, and since its a 2001 model I found on ebay:

from the below I think this is what I need to upgrade and fix for my Porsche, any ideas opinions?

Porsche 986 996 Complete Facelift Upgrade Dash with Cupholders
Porsche 986 996 Complete Facelift Upgrade Dash with Cupholders | eBay

Scren Polish For Porsche Boxster 911 968 944 Cabriolet
Scren Polish For Porsche Boxster 911 968 944 Cabriolet | eBay

Black Leather Colour Dye Restorer PORSCHE 964 993 996 997 Car Interiors Seats
Scren Polish For Porsche Boxster 911 968 944 Cabriolet | eBay

NEW PORSCHE SET OF 4 SILVER 76MM WHEEL HUB CAPS RIM HUBS CAP EMBLEM 3 INCH 3"

NEW PORSCHE SET OF 4 SILVER 76MM WHEEL HUB CAPS RIM HUBS CAP EMBLEM 3 INCH 3" | eBay

BRAND NEW PORSCHE REMOTE KEY KEYLESS ENTRY REPLACEMENT UPGRADE SHELL - 3 BUTTONS
BRAND NEW PORSCHE REMOTE KEY KEYLESS ENTRY REPLACEMENT UPGRADE SHELL - 3 BUTTONS | eBay

19MM TPI ALLOY WHEEL WHEEL NUT BOLT COVERS BLACK CHROME
19MM TPI ALLOY WHEEL WHEEL NUT BOLT COVERS BLACK CHROME | eBay

what exactly are those TPI?

Porsche Boxster 987 Black Mesh Headrest Wind Deflectors Fly catchers

Porsche Boxster 987 Black Mesh Headrest Wind Deflectors Fly catchers | eBay

do I need those I don't even know if they come with it?

www.blackhatethicalhacking.com
Boxster 2.7 2002 with Bose Proud Owner

Last edited by saintdrug; 04-28-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #60

Garage
wp0zzz98z2u602385 is the vin number went this Saturday to test it with my own special mechanic, he said the car is very good in terms of engine and mechanics, we agreed, that he will hook it up to the obd and fix and service everything, he tested it like its meant to be driven (he was a rally champ) and being next to him I lost 2.4 KG.

so waiting tomorrow for the bank to approve my transaction and by this weekend I should have it.

the key though is not so well the casing of it so I found a key in ebay housing that I will order and fix, as for the radio code I think we have to take the radio out to see the serial number and decode it.

what can we say about the vin

www.blackhatethicalhacking.com
Boxster 2.7 2002 with Bose Proud Owner

Last edited by saintdrug; 05-18-2014 at 11:46 PM.