Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #21

Garage
This looks like an early model. I would say 98 or 99. The way to be sure (without doing a VIN look up, which I would suggest anyways) is to look at the label on the seat belt. It will give you the model year of the car.

Tony

Old 04-04-2014, 06:38 AM   #22

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to saintdrug
in 2 hours I will go check it, could not do it yesterday, will get you all the info on it friends.
saintdrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #23

Garage

Hello finally i tested the car the car looks awesome very neat inside needs tires they will change ut and pad brakes how much those things cost? I think i got the vim is that it? If so what info can we get? And damn test drived it now and my heart is still pumping there is never a substitue some things in feelings cannot be described by words is all i can say
Old 04-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #24
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintdrug View Post

Hello finally i tested the car the car looks awesome very neat inside needs tires they will change ut and pad brakes how much those things cost? I think i got the vim is that it? If so what info can we get? And damn test drived it now and my heart is still pumping there is never a substitue some things in feelings cannot be described by words is all i can say
If I got the VIN right, it looks like a 1999 base model with 2.5l engine.

And yes, we all had a Boxster Boner the first time we drove one! Don't let that cloud your judgement - as with most things in life, do your thinking with the right head.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #25

Garage
Yup it's a 2.5 wonderful car but call out the seller for saying its newer, try and get some money out of the pice as it hurts resale to be pre2000 boxsters are great cars but make sure this one is the right one for you. Cheers!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #26

I noticed there are no side airbags in the door in one of the pics. This would indicate a '97 Boxster from what I've read. Unless the doors were replaced for some reason. Might explain why it doesn't have larger wheels as well.
BrandonJames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJames89 View Post
I noticed there are no side airbags in the door in one of the pics. This would indicate a '97 Boxster from what I've read. Unless the doors were replaced for some reason. Might explain why it doesn't have larger wheels as well.
The wheels are common for any year that has the 2.5.... but i didn't notice the air bags until you pointed out, yeah i thought they were standard in 98!
Old 04-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #28
Damn Yankee

Garage
Just my observations...................

This example is a 1999 Boxster, 2.5L base of course, and one of the rare ones produced in Stuttgart, Germany, rather than Uusikaupunki, Finland.

I don't see any visible options; it appears to be a very basic model. Console delete, no radio, door speakers, cruise control, side air bags, or optional 17" wheels. The 16" wheels shown in the pics were standard equipment on MY97-99, along with the four spoke wheel.

The steering wheel has a cover, which leads me to think there is excessive wear on it. IMHO, the seats look like they've been re-upholstered.

Mileage is amazing low, less than 48K miles in 15 years.

10K euro seems a bit steep, but then again, I'm not familiar with the market on the island of Cyprus.

I think thstone offers the best advice:
"And yes, we all had a Boxster Boner the first time we drove one! Don't let that cloud your judgment - as with most things in life, do your thinking with the right head."

But if you're a passionate Greek, I think you'll act as your passion drives you.

Good luck, and as always....I'm just sayin'..................

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:03 PM   #29

Garage
just to clarify the dealer did not have the papers so he admitted that it was not his car and was from an owner he didn't do it on purposes not knowing the model.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #30

Garage
thanks im not greek greek I got 4 nationalities
I saw that it is very basic indeed, but I can get a custom mp3 with monitor and woofer integrated on this, and some cup holders and a leather for the gear shift, that's details, the miles are perfect, as cosmetics I can invest and add things to it, what do u mean rare? why is it rare? yes in my heart I am just still asking if that is a baby Porsche 2.5 and gave me this thrill wth u get when u drive a Carrera or a 911 turbo damn.. I still im shivering from the 1st gear people looking, and best part in the spin that I took, a z4 who just couldn't stop looking on the lights, and when u kick off u can see his head looking down and being regretful, damn I like this, and I AM a bmw car owner who will trade it for this car.

just need to know how much pads would cost
if therer are options u could recommend on ebay uk like dashboard, like some extras I could add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Just my observations...................

This example is a 1999 Boxster, 2.5L base of course, and one of the rare ones produced in Stuttgart, Germany, rather than Uusikaupunki, Finland.

I don't see any visible options; it appears to be a very basic model. Console delete, no radio, door speakers, cruise control, side air bags, or optional 17" wheels. The 16" wheels shown in the pics were standard equipment on MY97-99, along with the four spoke wheel.

The steering wheel has a cover, which leads me to think there is excessive wear on it. IMHO, the seats look like they've been re-upholstered.

Mileage is amazing low, less than 48K miles in 15 years.

10K euro seems a bit steep, but then again, I'm not familiar with the market on the island of Cyprus.

I think thstone offers the best advice:
"And yes, we all had a Boxster Boner the first time we drove one! Don't let that cloud your judgment - as with most things in life, do your thinking with the right head."

But if you're a passionate Greek, I think you'll act as your passion drives you.

Good luck, and as always....I'm just sayin'..................

TO
Old 04-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
The wheels are common for any year that has the 2.5.... but i didn't notice the air bags until you pointed out, yeah i thought they were standard in 98!
it doesn't have airbag at all or just side u mean?
and speakers, has only on the dashboard not doors, and not even a radio lol but still took me 2 months to find ONE boxster, another one I found was out of my budget 28K 2006 model boze etc..
Old 04-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJames89 View Post
the vin number says 1999
Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #33

personally id walk away from this car ,the dealer hasn't got the papers for it?? he seems to know very little about it ,not even the correct year ,after sales service is gonna be a nightmare with a dealer like that ,use your head and forget this one ,too many unknowns mate, something just doesent add up with this particular car

Last edited by judd; 04-11-2014 at 12:17 AM. Reason: additions
judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:00 AM   #34
jakesbox

Walk away...there are so many more out there
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:22 AM   #35

Actually, the OP is telling us that, because of where he is, there aren't a lot out there. This looks to me like a very nice looking basic model and, if the OP is prepared to spend time and learn to do his own maintenance, then it could be a very nice car to own. At least with it being a 99 it has the double row IMS.

I think I would want to get a third party PPI and, if it checks out decently, go ahead and pick it up.

Last edited by Mark_T; 04-11-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
Walk away...there are so many more out there
+1 walk away
Old 04-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintdrug View Post
it doesn't have airbag at all or just side u mean?
and speakers, has only on the dashboard not doors, and not even a radio lol but still took me 2 months to find ONE boxster, another one I found was out of my budget 28K 2006 model boze etc..
The car will still have normal air bags and really the side airbags were ahead of their time, if i think right the boxster was the first roadster with side airbags, so owning one without side airbags is not much diffrent than having a BMW Z3 or Mx5 of the time. Seems to be a pretty good car, the miles mean alot, and im sure it is hard to find a good one on the wonderful island of Cyprus!
Old 04-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd View Post
+1 walk away
Thing is he is on an island with likely few examples to choose from. To the OP would importing a car from the main land be an easy thing to do?
Old 04-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Thing is he is on an island with likely few examples to choose from. To the OP would importing a car from the main land be an easy thing to do?
would you buy a car from a dealer that knows very little about it ,I certainly wouldn't, even if its the only boxster there id rather be safe than sorry
Old 04-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #40

I bought mine from a used car lot that knew nothing about it and, 5 years later, I have absolutely no regrets. Who cares what the guy selling the car knows - it's what you know that's important.