Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #1

My first Boxster, my first problem

Hi guys. I just bought my first Porsche Boxster in Germany 6 month ago. Its a beautiful 986, 2.5 with only 60.000 km on the clock and a full service history. It is as new

But there is this thing. Im not 100% sure what the problem is, but I think it might be an air leak??? When it has been sitting for at day or two and I start it up, it really runs bad until it gets to normal temp. Sometimes it even stalls. It sputters and misfires until it gets warm. But as soon at it gets warm its OK. Its not perfect, but acceptable. The rpm gage is not 100% steady, but again acceptable. The when I turn the car off, it makes this noise as you can hear. I think it sounds like and air leak, which would also explain, that the craked hose would expand when the car gets warm cover up the crack and make it run better. I dont know, but what do you guys think?

Thanks for the help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_cxYT5SvKY&feature=youtu.be

Stender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
Beginner

Garage
Is your Check Engine Light (CEL) on with the key on, and car off? Is the CEL on when the car is running?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #3

Hi James

The CEL is on together with all the other lamps just before I start the car, as on any other car. But as soon as its turned on, the CEL goes away.

Last edited by Stender; 04-01-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:09 AM   #4

Do some reading about the AOS (air/oil Seperator) as it seems to produce all manner of bad behavior when it goes bad and seems to be very common.

Vacuum leaks are quite possible as well and when related to the AOS is another place to check.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:18 AM   #5

Garage
I would probably try cleaning the MAF and then reset codes if present. I think that if you undo the battery the MAF will reset and 'relearn' baseline setting. No mechanic but it sounds like the computer is having trouble getting the cold air mix correct.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #6

OK guys, thanks very much for the answers. I will try to do that. But have you listened to the youtube clip I put up? There is some kind hissing/scchhhhh noise when the engine shuts offl? I have never owned a Porsche before, but it seems kind of strange.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 AM   #7

Garage
when i had a strange hissing noise i found it was the vacuum hose that connects to the brake booster. Once i popped it back in it was fine. Its in the front trunk lower right had side of the brake booster. I have a 99