Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 04:15 AM   #1

Garage
Dash Speakers - Adapter Plate

I have read a number of posts on how to change the dash speakers and most seem to revolve around using the original speaker mount. There was one very comprehensive article by Andy Morris that discussed using a custom adapter from vfxbox however the link doesn't work anymore and a search on the internet has revealed nothing so I guess they are no longer around.

I would rather not destroy the original speakers unless I have to as they are still in good condition. Does anyone know whether the adapter plates that Andy spoke of are still available anywhere? Alternatively a way of installing new speakers without using the original speaker mount?

Old 03-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
There was one other person that sold adapter plates after vfxbox, but they appear to have shut down as well. To my knowledge there is no one currently selling an adapter, but I am pretty sure you can still find the templates online. There also used to be a pair of speakers that was a drop in replacement (I think MB Quarts, but they are also no longer made). Perhaps someone with a 3D printer could make a pair or adapters.

I am sure there are ways to install a speaker without an adapter, but it would probably be very invasive, ei - epoxy, or the like.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
Look in the DIY section. There is a thread there on how to make your own adapter plates. I think I posted a link to a template

Dash Speaker Mounting adapters
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 03-07-2015 at 12:22 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
PKE

Hi chipmunk. I see you're from the UK too. I bought the adapters from JZM in the UK for £55 or so. They can also supply the appropriate Alpine speakers with the correct magnet size and depth to slot nicely into the dashboard.

Boxster/Cayman Audio Upgrades
PKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:18 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks Guys. I ended up cutting up the old speakers to make an adapter but hopeful this helps others that are still planning to do the upgrade.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #6

I plan on also cutting up the old speakers for the mount. I will use hot glue to mount the speaker into the adapter so I can still change the speaker if I need to.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:59 PM   #7

Garage
I was tempted to buy the alpine speakers with the 4×8 adapter plate and trim those down to make brackets. Ended up with infinity speakers instead and cut up the old ones. Noticed one was bad so no need to keep them. On a side note, the infinity speakers barely fit with the large magnet.
DavidsBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:59 AM   #8

I want to swap out speakers, but don't really feel like cutting up the original mount. Using JayG's excellent template, and not wanting to pay $50.00 for a set of templates, and because I did not want to resort to making a template out of a Peanut Butter Jar Lid, I made a futile attempt to 3d model Jay's template. About 5 minutes in, I gave up, and found someone online that did it for me in about 10 minutes for $5.00.

I checked online as to where I could get it 3d printed, and prices, while not outrageous (Apprx $26.00 for both), I kept thinking... My local library has a "Genius Lab" where they have free use (within reason) of 3d printer, software, and various other programs. 7:10pm last night ... they are open til 8pm. Hurried to the library.. place is dead empty (I thought it would be packed), but they are using the printer.. Long story short, I left a sample printing, they are doing a second for me when they open at 4pm today, so I can go by and pick them up.

I am a bit concerned, as the "plate" where they build is a little small so it may be a tight fit, and may need adjustment.

I will defer to JayG (since its his template).. if he'd like to distribute. If you have a 3d printer (or access to one) the file is ready to go...

hope this can be of help to anyone!#
Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:14 AM   #9

Problem with 3D printing is still the longlivety of the filament.

As long as you din't use 3d metal printing you'll have problems with heat, humidity and vibrations.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:58 AM   #10

Cai audio sells adaptor kit for $30 bit pricey but works excellent.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:14 AM   #11

Thanks.. I've not been able to access their website in a few days. I guess I'm also a tinkerer, so trying to see what I can figure out on my own.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:00 AM   #12

If you have some MDF and a router you could make an adaptor. Or beter yet router and some heavy pvc tablet. Another idea maybe some pvc pipe.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:39 PM   #13

I may have an ideal solution I am trying out now.

I'll post tomorrow if it works. Solution would run about $5.00 for a pair of adapters. Does not use the original mount.

My only issue before testing and installing is figuring out how to replace the foam/cloth behind the grill. If I don't find something, I may just wash the dust bunnies out and go commando on thr grill!

I'm also installing rear speakers, right now I have them ready to mount. Home made mount plates, mounting ring less than $4.00 a pair. I hope they pass muster

I have been taking plenty of pictures.

We'll see!!!
Old 03-30-2018, 08:33 PM   #14

FYI...these guys sell adapters

https://cai-store.com/collections/frontpage/products/996-speaker-adapters-hardware-kit-also-boxster
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiglitz View Post
I may have an ideal solution I am trying out now.

I'll post tomorrow if it works. Solution would run about $5.00 for a pair of adapters. Does not use the original mount.

My only issue before testing and installing is figuring out how to replace the foam/cloth behind the grill. If I don't find something, I may just wash the dust bunnies out and go commando on thr grill!

I'm also installing rear speakers, right now I have them ready to mount. Home made mount plates, mounting ring less than $4.00 a pair. I hope they pass muster

I have been taking plenty of pictures.

We'll see!!!
Please share I have a hertz mid range and tweeter I am about to swap in.
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #16

Look forward to seeing a template on rear speaker setup. Something I would like to do but have not figured out a good solution to - yet.

ray_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote