Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #1

Garage
Door clip replacement and moisture barrier adhesive question

I am upgrading my door speakers and have found that on the drivers side there has been some obvious work done before because two of the door clips are broken and the moisture barrier has obviously been peeled back at some point. I ended up breaking the remainder of the clips to get them out and ordered some new ones, but it isn't immediately apparent to me how to get the new clips mounted to the panel without breaking them. Is there a trick to it?

Also, what is a good adhesive for sticking the moisture barrier back into place?

Benjamin

Old 03-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #2

I read somewhere (Bentley maybe [Edit: not Bentley, still looking to see if I can find it]) that Butyl cord can be used to re-seal the door's inner weather seal. I also purchased a set of clips because I have to do my passenger door lock at some point... I am hoping they pop right in.

There is this official part:
http://www.********************************************.com/tinyresults.php?pn=00004310100;TB_iframe=true&height=550&width=875

From this diagram:
http://www.********************************************.com/porsche-parts/986-97-04/807-10.php

Seems a little pricy...

Last edited by steved0x; 03-06-2014 at 04:52 PM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #3

Garage
I couldn't find anything locally that would work, so I ordered this:

3M 08620 Window-Weld 1/4" x 15' Round Ribbon Sealer Roll : Amazon.com : Automotive

I will let you know how it works.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:28 AM   #4

Garage
This weekend I installed the door clips and used the butyl tape to reattach the moisture barrier. The door clips have a 3/4 moon shape on the back of them and what you do is catch one corner of the moon under the lip of the mounting hole and then twist the clip about a half a turn and it pops in to place. The butyl tape worked great, however, I should have purchased 1/8" instead of 1/4". I assumed that since it said "ribbon" in the name, that butyl would be somewhat flat, maybe 1/16 thick and 1/4" wide. As it turns out, it is a 1/4" diameter rope, which needs to be pressed flat once installed. The butyl is very pliable, so that's not difficult to do, but it ends up being unnecessarily wide.

I'm now one step closer to having the sound system upgraded. This weekend I also pulled all of the wires to the front trunk for the amplifier. I had planned to make detailed cad drawings of the trunk floor in order to make an amp mounting base and windowed cover and then post them somewhere so they would be available for everyone to use, but once I pulled the carpet out I found that a previous owner had been in a front end accident with this car (I knew about that from the PPI). The front bottom edge of the trunk is dented in about 2 inches. I did make cad drawings and then cut out the parts on my cnc router, but the cad drawings would be fairly useless to anyone else that doesn't have the same trunk dents.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #5

Garage
There was a rattling noise from my 2001 Boxster S drivers door.Last weekend I removed door panel to fix it and it was obvious that there was a job done before me.Then I found some of the clips were broken. I checked with my local Porsche dealer and they were out of stock, after a little research on a net I came across to BMW door clip which was looking identical to Boxster clips, I bought a pack of 10 clips from amazon for 10$ + free shipping if you are prime member. Received it on sunday and it worked perfect.Here is BMW part number for clip if somebody will need it 51411973500.

Armen Jr.

P.S. I used Scotch double side tape to fix moisture barrier.

ArmenT is offline   Reply With Quote