View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 04:28 AM   #4
Benjamin

Garage
This weekend I installed the door clips and used the butyl tape to reattach the moisture barrier. The door clips have a 3/4 moon shape on the back of them and what you do is catch one corner of the moon under the lip of the mounting hole and then twist the clip about a half a turn and it pops in to place. The butyl tape worked great, however, I should have purchased 1/8" instead of 1/4". I assumed that since it said "ribbon" in the name, that butyl would be somewhat flat, maybe 1/16 thick and 1/4" wide. As it turns out, it is a 1/4" diameter rope, which needs to be pressed flat once installed. The butyl is very pliable, so that's not difficult to do, but it ends up being unnecessarily wide.

I'm now one step closer to having the sound system upgraded. This weekend I also pulled all of the wires to the front trunk for the amplifier. I had planned to make detailed cad drawings of the trunk floor in order to make an amp mounting base and windowed cover and then post them somewhere so they would be available for everyone to use, but once I pulled the carpet out I found that a previous owner had been in a front end accident with this car (I knew about that from the PPI). The front bottom edge of the trunk is dented in about 2 inches. I did make cad drawings and then cut out the parts on my cnc router, but the cad drawings would be fairly useless to anyone else that doesn't have the same trunk dents.