Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #1

SpeedTech Exhaust installed

Hi

I had my new Speedtech exhaust installed last Friday and have had a chance to drive it over the weekend (weather allowing - terrible weekend here).

I'm in love with the system, looks a million $$ and sounds like the car should have from the factory - hard to describe and probably my personal preference, pops, gurgles on down change, rasp and the flat 6 coming through on acceleration.

John from Speedtech surprised me by throwing in a couple of special order exhaust tips which look fantastic.

The tech who installed it made a comment that they looked like Carrera GT tips (just happened that they had one in being serviced and a new exhaust being put on, a straight through exhaust can't imagine how that will sound!).

I am a return customer of Speedtech as I had previously brought a 996 Turbo exhaust system from them - quality and service was so good I had to go back. No ties to them being down here in NZ other than they managed to exceed my expectations as a customer.

I also had a 997 shift kit installed and that in itself deserves a post - must be one of the cheapest, high value changes you can make to your 986!

A few photos of the exhaust.

Ranfurly66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #2

Garage
Video? Assume this is on an S? And, of course I have to ask, drone??
Old 03-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #3

Hi

Working on a video - took some initial shots on the GoPro but am still working it out. The weather here was really bad in the weekend so hopefully will get it done this week.

It is on a MY 2004 S manual with a bit over 45,000 km's on it.

Around 2500 it is a bit 'boomy' if 'lugging' under a bit of load (driving to work this morning should have dropped it to second from third going up a bit of a hill) - if that makes sense.

Normal driving, acceleration and cruising it is great, on the motorway sitting at 2500 to 3000 no issue in a higher gear, no drone, at 4000 and above lovely .

Hopefully I'll be able to capture it on video. I'm also expecting the exhaust to 'break in' with a few more km's done so the tone may change a bit.
Ranfurly66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:36 AM   #4

Hi

I have 'created' a video of the exhaust, hopefully it'll give you an idea. I can't figure out how to imbed the video into this post....?

Link to youtube below.

Porsche 986 Boxster S SpeedTech Exhaust demo - YouTube
Old 03-18-2014, 04:22 AM   #5

NZ looks beautiful...as does the exhaust.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfurly66 View Post
Hi

I have 'created' a video of the exhaust, hopefully it'll give you an idea. I can't figure out how to imbed the video into this post....?

Link to youtube below.

Porsche 986 Boxster S SpeedTech Exhaust demo - YouTube
Oh, that is WAY better than my Borla POS system...well done!
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #7

Ranfurly...
Looking at your exhaust tip moving up & down, you may need to consider a new front engine mount in the near future.......
Old 03-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #8

Re the engine mount - thanks will get them to have a look, due for an annual service in November.

Thanks for the pointer. If the engine mount is past it then it'll feel even better!!! Though at at a cost, it is a Porsche.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfurly66 View Post
Re the engine mount - thanks will get them to have a look, due for an annual service in November.

Thanks for the pointer. If the engine mount is past it then it'll feel even better!!! Though at at a cost, it is a Porsche.
__________________________________________________ __________________

Watched your video. Do I detect a bit of exhaust escaping on the left side of your diffuser or is the wind blowing in that direction? When you stop the area clears up. Check it out and see if I am just seeing things. You may have an exhaust leak over on the left as you look at the car from the rear. However I did not see any exhaust gas swirling around your camera which was mounted on the same side as I thought I saw exhaust gas. Just sayin, check it out and let me know.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:31 AM   #10

Hi Allen

Thank you for your very close watching of the video! Just looked at the video and can see what you're pointing out. I'll check it in the weekend and come back to you. Just went under the car, nothing obvious to the eye. I'll need to run it to really check it.

The 'puff' looks to be there when I rev. The day was very average with quite a bit of wind and some moisture - couldn't wait for the weather to clear. Thanks again. Will come back after a decent look.

Richard
Old 03-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #11

Thanks for the vid, as another has mentioned, that is a beautiful part of NZ. And I too have noticed the movement of the exhaust when you were driving.

I didn't even know the 986 can sound like that, definitely sounding like a bigger engine. And very nice tips also (classy and very sporty looking), I think satin silver finish looked best with your arctic silver.

06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote