Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 06:27 AM   #21

A breaker bar is a big improvement over the factory tool kit, but an impact gun with a torque stick takes all the pita out of the job. You don't have to crack the lugs loose before lifting the car. Just jack it up from the rear jack point until both wheels are clear and then zim zam and you're done. Repeat on the other side.

Btw, I don't put total faith in the torque stick. I use the 90 ft-lb stick and do the final few pounds with my torque wrench once all the wheels are changed and the car is back on the ground. Re-torque in a couple of days.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:40 AM   #22
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
A breaker bar is a big improvement over the factory tool kit, but an impact gun with a torque stick takes all the pita out of the job. You don't have to crack the lugs loose before lifting the car. Just jack it up from the rear jack point until both wheels are clear and then zim zam and you're done. Repeat on the other side.

Btw, I don't put total faith in the torque stick. I use the 90 ft-lb stick and do the final few pounds with my torque wrench once all the wheels are changed and the car is back on the ground. Re-torque in a couple of days.
I have used self control and not used my torque wrench($70 special at Can. Tire) as a breaker bar. Not sufficiently into diy impact guns to a point that I would buy that kind of stuff. Can't wait to get the snow tires off but fear that a good dump of snow could happen between now and early May.....

Can actually get the revs up now as the streets are getting drier and as long as wifey is not with me then there are not much limitations except the redline!
Cheers, G.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:17 AM   #23

Last summer I was facing some suspension work and treated myself to a Kobalt Li ion 1/2" impact wrench. The wrench was on sale, plus I had a 10% coupon, final price under $200.

Man, I should have got one of these years ago! It makes short work of removing suspension components, wheels etc.

The battery seems to last a very long time. I've not had to swap batteries in the middle of a job.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
Can't wait to get the snow tires off but fear that a good dump of snow could happen between now and early May.....
Could happen? I'd say that given the winter we've had so far it's pretty much a definite. We're supposed to get another 10 cm this weekend. I need a bigger snowblower...
Old 03-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #25
Gone

Garage
I find that I use the Sears electric impact wrench more and more these days.
Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:40 AM   #26

Garage
a compressor and air tools are nice too
Old 03-14-2014, 05:03 AM   #27

I like air tools - the feel, the sound, the power. There is no battery to die or eventually replace.

I got put off battery operated tools a few years ago I spent big bucks on this really nice Hilti cordless drill, but when I went to buy a new pair of batteries a few years later I found that they were obsolete and discontinued. Didn't expect that from a company like Hilti. I can still get parts for my 50 year old Kirby vacuum, but Hilti blows off their customers after 5 years. Nice.

So now I buy cheap cordless drills, mainly for working around the yard, and pitch them when they are done. Everything else is corded or air.

Current air tool collection:

Snap-On MG725 1/2" impact gun & 10 torque sticks
Snap-On PD3A 3/8 drill
2 Snap-On FAR70B assembly ratchets
CP728 assembly ratchet (the original!)
IR air chisel
Crafstman 1/4 ratchet
PA 3/8 & 1/2 ratchets
PA die grinder
Airlift Vacuum evacuator tool

All driven by a Dewalt 1.6 HP, 200 PSI, 15 gallon vertical tank compressor. It has been more than adequate so far.

Currently watching Ebay for the right deal to replace the PA stuff with SO.

I may de-snorkle the MG725. I hear it will give me another .02 ft-lbs, but I'm still waiting to see a dyno report

Last edited by Mark_T; 03-14-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:12 AM   #28
recycledsixtie

Garage
Well Mark I am a Luddite when it comes to tools as I try to do everything manually.
I use a handsaw to saw wood and a breaker bar to remove lug nuts(I do have a torque wrench though).

I do have a power drill though. If somebody broke into my garage there would not be much worth stealing!
Guy
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:21 AM   #29

A hand saw, eh? I think my dad used to have one of those... (j/k!)

I actually have a pretty good collection of rip saws, crosscut saws, mitre saws, tenon saws, dowelling saws, coping saws, and all kinds of different hacksaws.

For powered saws: 3 circular saws, a 10" Makita mitre saw, 2 jigsaws, a gorgeous old 60's Delta table saw, a 16" 2-speed bandsaw, and a Milwaukee Sawzall

If someone breaks into my garage my insurance agent just may flee the country. But you should see the bars and spikes on the window. That combined with the solid 2" thick solid man door in the angle iron re-enforced frame and the security camera keeps it fairly safe.

Last edited by Mark_T; 03-14-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #30

Quote:
A hand saw, eh? I think my dad used to have one of those... (j/k!)

I actually have a pretty good collection of rip saws, crosscut saws, mitre saws, tenon saws, dowelling saws, coping saws, and all kinds of different hacksaws.

For powered saws: 3 circular saws, a 10" Makita mitre saw, 2 jigsaws, a gorgeous old 60's Delta table saw, a 16" 2-speed bandsaw, and a Milwaukee Sawzall

If someone breaks into my garage my insurance agent just may flee the country. But you should see the bars and spikes on the window. That combined with the solid 2" thick solid man door in the angle iron re-enforced frame and the security camera keeps it fairly safe.
WTH??? You Snake Plissken living in NY with the Duke on the hunt for some tools?

Your run down on woodworking tools sounds like Timco having a moment with his weapons.......

I have to admit, there is nothing more satisfying than using a good quality woodworking hand tool with a correctly sharpened blade, in my case a hand plane.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #31

I inherited this Record #4 from my Grandad. I believe he got it in the late 40's.

Yeah, Timco and weaponry, me and tools, pretty much the same thing.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #32

If you already have a basic hand tool set (Wrenches, Sockets, screwdrivers, allen wrenches) i would not buy anymore. I would buy more as I need them.

Air tools are great if you have them but I'm seeing myself use my electric impact wrench and Drill more than my air impact tools. I bought a set of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" socket adapters for my drill.

One tool that I use all the time is a ramp. I use it all the time.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:58 PM   #33

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. Porsche loves to use torx bolts!!! A complete set of torx sockets is necessary in my opinion. I have 4 sets myself.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:17 AM   #34

One handy tool that I bought a couple of months back (it was on special for $40) that has really surprised me in a good way is a Craftsman Right angle driver.

Sears.com

I originally bought it to leave near the back of my SUV in the garage so I could quickly drive in and remove the bolt in the hitch that secures my bike rack, it performs that task beautifully.

Since then I've grabbed it for other projects since it's cordless, it made removing the undertrays / covers on my 993 for a shift rod project a breeze. Also used it to run in 3" long by 1/4 lags to studs to hold tire racks in basement, it did a dozen of them with no fade in strength. I can't believe the torque this little thing has:

A review of it:

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #35

Nice. Thanks for sharing this. I'll be getting one of these. I like the compact size vs a regular cordless drill that I use.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #36

Quality tools are always a good investment. I have worked on cars for at least 50 yrs. Started w my dad's Snap on tools. Some of the ones he has are at least 60 yrs old and still in good working condition. Point being good quality tools can be a lifetime investment. I have gone through several sets of Craftsman tools over the years and thought they were reliable. Just kept losing them. Storage and organization are now something I pay more attention to. The CD I torque wrench seems to be a good value. Look and feel a lot like Snap on but not as expensive. The latest basic tool set that I use regularly is actually Husky. Design similar to Snap on. They have held up well and came in one of those plastic snap in cases. This helps with the organization. I know immediately what is missing and it helps to keep everything where I can find it.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #37

Quote:
I like air tools...

Snap-On MG725 1/2" impact gun & 10 torque sticks
do torque sticks work only with impact gun or will they work with cordless?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #38

Good question. I don't know.