Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #1

Oil Leak? 2005 Porsche Boxster

Hello everyone

I have a 2005 Porsche Boxster that seems to be dripping oil somewhere between the mid and rear of the car. All winter long it has been stored. My question is how do I check the oil after storing it in the winter for so long. I didn't want to start the car since I don't know how much oil is really in the car still. I turned the key just so that the electronic oil level reader would show up which it did, it showed 3 bars which is good but I know that can't be right. Towards the end of last year I did have to top up oil but I didn't bother to get it checked out since we got a heavy snowfall early and the season was over.

Also if it is just dripping oil, can I just drive it and top up as needed? I will have it checked out to see what the problem is once I make sure I can safely drive it without having to worry that the car has little to no oil left in it. I assume at this point a dip stick option would have been nice than an only digital one?

If my engine is cold how much oil does 3 bars really mean?

Thanks everyone,
Signed,
Vin

justchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Car holds about 10 quarts of oil. What does your dip stick show? Why don't you trust the bars?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #3

My boxster doesn't have a dipstick. It is digital only.

I don't trust it due to checking it on a cold engine after storing it for winter. I'm afraid to start it and warm it up with little to no oil to cause possible damage. But I assume there is some oil since on a cold check it shows 3 bars.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by justchill View Post
My boxster doesn't have a dipstick. It is digital only.

I don't trust it due to checking it on a cold engine after storing it for winter. I'm afraid to start it and warm it up with little to no oil to cause possible damage. But I assume there is some oil since on a cold check it shows 3 bars.
could be that your car is dripping hydraulic fluid from the power steering / automatic transmission or gearbox oil?

If you have three bars on the dipstick, perhaps IMHO you should warm it up and check the other systems mentioned above...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #5

If it has 3 bars, it has enough oil. How much oil dripped out? A quart of oil on the floor makes a huge puddle (ask me how I know), so unless you have a lake under your car, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are really concerned, just change the oil before you start it.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

As San Rensho said, unless you had to use a mop and a bucket to clean up the lake of oil all over your garage floor, you should have more than enough oil remaining in the sump to start the car and get a good electronic reading of the oil level.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
If it has 3 bars, it has enough oil. How much oil dripped out? A quart of oil on the floor makes a huge puddle (ask me how I know), so unless you have a lake under your car, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are really concerned, just change the oil before you start it.
Yes 3 bars on a cold engine - I didn't start it
It took like 3 seconds to give me that reading btw
Old 03-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice. I don't have a huge puddle at all. Last year I put in about a cup or a cup and one half twice I think it was towards the end of summer
Old 03-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #9

I can't change the oil. I don't know how to do that myself

Tags
boxster , check , digital , oil leak , porsche