Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Dude, you drank the Koolaid.....

Biggest "feel good" law ever. It weighs a ton, ammo is scarce, it costs a ton of money, very few can load for it, the scope is as much as a used car, and they banned it before it could do any harm. Dumbest thing I have ever heard, and a total waste of time. But, someone somewhere feels good about it, and that's what counts, not facts.

Just the sound of it...BROWNING MACHINE GUN!!! It's .50 BMG ammo. NOT a full auto Browning Machine Gun. Bolt action, single shot.
Yeah, I know. I was just yanking your chain with that one.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #102

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
At any rate, mine is purely an argument of intent. Not of the issue of gun ownership. In the end this will always be a gun-owning culture.
Intent... Intent is so important but impossible to divine once the opportunity to know it has passed. We have some writings from our founding fathers which can help us to understand but there will always be argument.

I believe that they intended to keep weapons in the hands of citizens as a means to fight tyranny. As we all know, the first battle of the Revolution was when the Brits tried to take a strategic colonial stockpile of weapons. The lesson being the only freedoms a person has is one they have the ability to fight for.

This ideology is what makes us as you say a gun-owning culture.

There are only two ways of dealing with people, persuasion or force. The first amendment protects persuasion and the second amendment protects force.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #103

Garage
Quote:
Dude, you drank the Koolaid.....

Biggest "feel good" law ever. It weighs a ton, ammo is scarce, it costs a ton of money, very few can load for it, the scope is as much as a used car, and they banned it before it could do any harm. Dumbest thing I have ever heard, and a total waste of time. But, someone somewhere feels good about it, and that's what counts, not facts.

Just the sound of it...BROWNING MACHINE GUN!!! It's .50 BMG ammo. NOT a full auto Browning Machine Gun. Bolt action, single shot.
But, Gunny Hathcock shot a child with one from a mile away in vietnam after he mounted his sniper rifle's scope on it... of course it is too dangerous for civilians
Old 03-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #104
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Tired old pro-NRA rhetoric that simply doesn't hold up
Some yes, some no. I have a couple handguns for protection. No big deal. My SA rifles are a hobby. They can be used for that, but it not why I own them.

When the left throws every "for the children" and "military assault style automatic machine guns" argument out there, we're not expected to use the constitution or self defense or every sensible reply as well?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #105
I am my own mechanic....

Talking

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I was just yanking your chain with that one.
And I took that bait.....
Old 03-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #106

Well gents, this has been fun. I don't think either side came out with anything new but, given the number of times this debate has been waged, that's not too surprising. We've all got our lines down pat by now, and we sure know which buttons to push!

Timco - is your Garand a National Match? Would love to see a pic.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #107

Quote:
Telling someone to man up because they choose not to own guns doesn't help us look mature. It plays their "obsessed" and "compensating" game of name calling and put downs.

Same for the " I don't dial 911 (with handgun pic)" . So, you shoot out a fire or shoot someone that needs help? Totally redneck.

Or "this house protected by The Lord and a handgun. If you come in uninvited, you may meet them both" signs. Wow. That makes us look normal....NOT.

We need to rise above that. I quit trying to help my liberal friends see the light a long time ago because they have the right to not partake just like I have (for now ) the right to own guns and choose to do so. It doesn't make them any less of a man, just ignorant. (KIDDING!!)
I don't care about looking "mature". I care about retaining my rights to protect my self/family without libs crying about it.

I can't believe that a simple picture of a stored firearm makes people cry like babies.
OKCShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #108
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Well gents, this has been fun. I don't think either side came out with anything new but, given the number of times this debate has been waged, that's not too surprising. We've all got our lines down pat by now, and we sure know which buttons to push!

Timco - is your Garand a National Match? Would love to see a pic.
Just a 1942 service rifle, mint condition but used. Springfield. My 1903A3 is a Singer.

I have the full length bayonet for it and the cut bayo, and the grenade launcher shuttle.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #109
I am my own mechanic....

The wood & steel are the best...

Old 03-08-2014, 08:54 PM   #110

that wood is gorgeous. Original?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #111
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
that wood is gorgeous. Original?
The WWII guns are all original. As a collector I wouldn't buy a reassembled or pieced gun.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #112

removed

-RD

Last edited by RawleyD; 03-09-2014 at 03:55 PM.
RawleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #113

Very nice collection Timco.
Sooo much history in those pieces, very cool!
Old 03-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #114
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
Very nice collection Timco.
Sooo much history in those pieces, very cool!
Thanks. Those are old pics. I've got vintage shottys, a .50x140x3.25 Sharps Straight Rolling block buffalo gun, and fun cowboy .45 long colt guns.

Just when I say I like the WWII guns best, we go to the desert and shoot .338 Lapua at a mile.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:12 AM   #115

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
Just to play devil's advocate..
I replaced part of your quote with similar comments about our beloved cars.

And there ARE people out there that make the same remarks about high-powered cars.

A little food for thought. :dance:
I am not going to lie you did a good job making that statement sound like it was originally that way.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186 View Post
Intent... Intent is so important but impossible to divine once the opportunity to know it has passed. We have some writings from our founding fathers which can help us to understand but there will always be argument.

I believe that they intended to keep weapons in the hands of citizens as a means to fight tyranny. As we all know, the first battle of the Revolution was when the Brits tried to take a strategic colonial stockpile of weapons. The lesson being the only freedoms a person has is one they have the ability to fight for.

This ideology is what makes us as you say a gun-owning culture.

There are only two ways of dealing with people, persuasion or force. The first amendment protects persuasion and the second amendment protects force.
As a matter of Constitutional writing, and the issue of gun ownership aside for a second, the founding fathers were very specific when they wanted to be and other times they were intentionally vague. They knew what they were doing, which is really amazing looking back 300+ years. The second Amendment is one that was written specifically, and addresses a group right, which is precisely why it was conditioned.
The founding fathers wrote individual rights in absolute terms to keep challengers of their writing from embarking on the "what if's" or "they meant this". They made this distinction with full understanding of the British tyranny, yet they still did not author the 2nd Amendment as an absolute and unconditioned individual right. If the right to bear arms was meant to be an indvidual right they would not have bothered to mention militias in the first place, since it could be inferred that an armed militia was a utility of an individual (i.e. uncontioned) right to bear arms. Instead we are arguing the reverse, that the group right to have an armed militia can be interpreted as and individual right. But again that's not at all they way they wrote it. And they semed fully aware of the possibiliity of re-interpretation, like we are doing now, since they made it a point to be absolute and unconditional with regard to invidual rights. The pivotal queston still remains, why didn't they do this with regard to gun ownership as well?

Aside, I don't have a problem with some guy owning as many guns as he wishes. Statiscally, most aren't nuts and planning on walking into a kindergarten or movie theater to waste everyone in the whole room. But neither do I believe they are correct in stating that they, as individuals, have a Constitutional protection, if we take the founding fathers' written words at face value. WHich is kind of the whole point of the Constitution writing exercise.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-09-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #117

Garage
I suppose that's why intent is so important. At face value I see no indication it limits the individual right.

Here is a picture that made me laugh
Old 03-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
As a matter of Constitutional writing, and the issue of gun ownership aside for a second, the founding fathers were very specific when they wanted to be and other times they were intentionally vague. They knew what they were doing, which is really amazing looking back 300+ years. The second Amendment is one that was written specifically, and addresses a group right, which is precisely why it was conditioned.
The founding fathers wrote individual rights in absolute terms to keep challengers of their writing from embarking on the "what if's" or "they meant this". They made this distinction with full understanding of the British tyranny, yet they still did not author the 2nd Amendment as an absolute and unconditioned individual right. If the right to bear arms was meant to be an indvidual right they would not have bothered to mention militias in the first place, since it could be inferred that an armed militia was a utility of an individual (i.e. uncontioned) right to bear arms. Instead we are arguing the reverse, that the group right to have an armed militia can be interpreted as and individual right. But again that's not at all they way they wrote it. And they semed fully aware of the possibiliity of re-interpretation, like we are doing now, since they made it a point to be absolute and unconditional with regard to invidual rights. The pivotal queston still remains, why didn't they do this with regard to gun ownership as well?

Aside, I don't have a problem with some guy owning as many guns as he wishes. Statiscally, most aren't nuts and planning on walking into a kindergarten or movie theater to waste everyone in the whole room. But neither do I believe they are correct in stating that they, as individuals, have a Constitutional protection, if we take the founding fathers' written words at face value. WHich is kind of the whole point of the Constitution writing exercise.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Allow me to respectfully disagree that it is not an individual right. The people are a group of individuals. They have a right to free speech, keep and bear arms etc. Bill of right protect the individual from the govt. The govt. is subordinate to the individual. Govt. was sending troops to confiscate weapons and ammo when the "shot fired around the world" was first discharged. (seems like we may need a second shot to get the current crop of politicos to start paying attention but I digress). The founders were wary of a standing army as it took citizens taking up arms to throw the British out of the colonies. It seems to me that after all this the right to keep and bear arms would not be an individual right? If not, who would grant the collective right, the govt.? Not hardly as they would be the entity doing the infringing. State of the art military weapons were always supposed to be in the hands of the public and the public would form their own militia's. Do not confuse this with the Nat. guard which was not formed until sometime in the 1930's and can be federalized by the govt. to serve its ends and not that of the populations. The minute man went to the house to secure his firearm before joining his fellow militia men to fight he did not go to the govt. armory to sign out for a weapon. I spent 6 years in the PA Natl. guard and know what a locked arms room looks like.

As far as the so called "gun lobby" goes it really is the Bill of Rights lobby. If the only thing that gives teeth to the people to resist tyrants is the 2nd Amendment then it must by its very nature be an individual right. If the militia is now the Natl. Guard, as some suggest, it is an arm of the govt. if federalized and therefore counter to the ability to resist. As an aside the 2nd amendment is a check and balance to govt. not a recreational document allowing the citizens to go deer hunting. Self defense is a given and needs no apology. "Self preservation is the first law of nature", as my old elementary school principal was fond of stating.

I have enjoyed your perspective on this debate as you seem to have done your homework and have a sense of historical perspective. Why it is important to our shared interest in Boxsters is that if we lose our freedom and are dictated to by the likes of the EPA etc. we won't be sharing the experience of driving around in them as they will be legislated out of existence.

Notice to those who find this thread offensive, just delete it or don't read it. Do not take the usual progressive tack of trying to suppress it., OK?

Respectfully, AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:10 AM   #119

Connecticut: The Constitution State? - YouTube
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:12 AM   #120

Garage
Allen K Littlefield - excellent perspective and discussion .... you give me hope that all is not lost in your part of this country that seems to vote government has all the answers.