Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #1

Garage
boxsters off road?

well after my drive yesterday ( http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/50993-went-drive-today.html ) the car was pretty dirty
but i did wash it

Anyways, have any of you taken your boxster on gravel? Any exsperinces to share... did anyone (unlike me) drive irresponsibly on the gravel, any fun?

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I haven't but there is this:
Old 03-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #3

Garage
The car felt very composed off road, despite having the absolute wrong tires for it. Felt the rear slip out a few times while on the loose gravel but was very easy to recover each time... the cars suspension soaked up the bumps very well... missed a turn at one point and ended up off the main path once.... this was the only time the car was out of its league really but with some careful straddling of ruts and winding around rocks i got to where i could do a 3 point and make the way back up. Alot of guys turn their 2.5 into a spec racer once they buy an S.... might just make mine into a rally car.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #4

Yeah, I drive it on gravel every time I take it home up the drive way. It feels like ****************, to put it bluntly. I don't like taking it over 15 mph or it's kicking gravels all over the rear.

My Subaru Legacy on the other hand will pull the drive way at 35mph+ and not even bat an eye! Love that car! Now that sucker is made for rallying.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:17 AM   #5

It would take some serious prep. to survive driving like in that picture, with skid plates added.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:48 AM   #6
recycledsixtie

Garage
I don't like driving it on gravel roads as it does not feel composed. A couple of years back when the Box was new to me I was driving on a traffic circle too fast of course and there was gravel on the road. Halfway through the circle the Box was going sideways towards the curb. I have no psm either. Fortunately it stopped going sideways before the exit. It felt like I was on marbles. It was very uncomfortable for a couple of seconds. G.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
I don't like driving it on gravel roads as it does not feel composed. A couple of years back when the Box was new to me I was driving on a traffic circle too fast of course and there was gravel on the road. Halfway through the circle the Box was going sideways towards the curb. I have no psm either. Fortunately it stopped going sideways before the exit. It felt like I was on marbles. It was very uncomfortable for a couple of seconds. G.
I track my Boxster -- when it gets loose -- you give it more gas.
So far I have found it very controllable on track. I'm assuming gravel would be
the same but at slower speeds.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:10 AM   #8

I had my Boxster on a gravel road last month. It's a road I drive regularly and its condition varies greatly depending on what the weather has been like. I didn't see a huge pothole in time and the front right corner slammed down hard onto the road. Flashing light on the temperature gauge appeared quickly- busted radiator.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #9
recycledsixtie

Garage
It is easy to be complacent with the Box on road handling. It handles the twisties very well but throw in some ice, snow, gravel or standing water and it can unravel very quickly. Not having psm does not help. It is not just the Boxster that can come unglued but any car but the Porsche is that much more to fix. Just saying..... G.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
I track my Boxster -- when it gets loose -- you give it more gas.
So far I have found it very controllable on track. I'm assuming gravel would be
the same but at slower speeds.

Mike
Giving it more gas to plant the rear only works if there is sufficient traction, which there likely will NOT be on loose gravel unless you have mudder tires installed.

Giving it gas in the gravel will spray stones and allow the rear to switch ends with the front most likely, so you can see the face of the guy following you with stones all over his hood just before you arrive at the scene of an accident....Yours!

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote