Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #1

Garage
Infected at an Early Age

I recently picked up a slide copier, to convert about 4,000 slides to digital so I can see them conveniently. Starting at the oldest, I quickly found a picture from 1974 of the bulletin board in the bedroom my brother and I shared. Down the bottom is a picture of a yellow Porsche 914. I had told my wife I have wanted one a Porsche for a long time, this provided the documentation.

Also on that bulletin board are some fast boats - likely an omen about my brother's Allison, which is scarey fast.

Nice to look back and see childhood dreams come true!

Larry

TripleTrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #2

Garage
I have had a boxster concept poster on my wall for a few years now haha. 911 gt3 RS 4.0 poster on the wall now hope to own one of those some day haha.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #3

Garage
I still have my favorite poster from adolescence hanging. No need for digital slides here.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #4

When I was 10 years old we were on a family vacation and my dad was driving on the autobahn, going about 100mph. From a long ways back some headlights started flashing in the distance. My dad moved over and a Turbo 911 came by us like we were standing still, literally. My guess now is that black monster must have been doing 160 to 170 mph. Right then I was smitten and told my dad I've got to get one of those kind of cars when I was old enough to drive. At the next stop for fuel, I went in and bought and 2 metal scale model Porsches and played with them for many years to come. Yeah I was bitten by the Porsche at a very early age, Thanks Dad, God rest your soul, for taking me on that vacation so many years ago. However Dad, you did give me a very expensive jones for the rest of my life.
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
I still have my favorite poster from adolescence hanging. No need for digital slides here.
Johnny -- +1
Old 02-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
When I was 10 years old we were on a family vacation and my dad was driving on the autobahn, going about 100mph. From a long ways back some headlights started flashing in the distance. My dad moved over and a Turbo 911 came by us like we were standing still, literally. My guess now is that black monster must have been doing 160 to 170 mph. Right then I was smitten and told my dad I've got to get one of those kind of cars when I was old enough to drive. At the next stop for fuel, I went in and bought and 2 metal scale model Porsches and played with them for many years to come. Yeah I was bitten by the Porsche at a very early age, Thanks Dad, God rest your soul, for taking me on that vacation so many years ago. However Dad, you did give me a very expensive jones for the rest of my life.
I was at a friends brithday party and we all went (sorry bout to make yall feel old) to see The Blind Side because it just came out, i was around 11. We all were eating a mcdonalds connected to a gas station after the movie, me and about 7 other kids from 10 to 12. We see a silver 986 boxster S pull up to the gas pump. (my car obsession didnt start till about a year or two after) I knew nothing about the car except it was a porsche and it wasnt a 911. All 8 of kids freaked out over the car like it was a Ferrari, i remember it being a drizzly day but the driver still had his top down. We all talked to him as he filled up the car and i thought it was the coolest thing ever that the gas cap was up front on the fender, where i was then amazed even more when he popped the front trunk for something. I remember him starting it up and all of us talking about how cool it sounded and how nice the interior was (little did we know it was already likely a 5 or more year old car.) I would've never imagined that within just 6 years of then i would own a porsche for myself.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTrophy View Post
I recently picked up a slide copier, to convert about 4,000 slides to digital so I can see them conveniently. Starting at the oldest, I quickly found a picture from 1974 of the bulletin board in the bedroom my brother and I shared. Down the bottom is a picture of a yellow Porsche 914. I had told my wife I have wanted one a Porsche for a long time, this provided the documentation.

Also on that bulletin board are some fast boats - likely an omen about my brother's Allison, which is scarey fast.

Nice to look back and see childhood dreams come true!

Larry
I think everyone should have a dream board. I created one 10 years ago and I was astounded how fast you can accomplish those dreams when you remind yourself every day what your goals are.

The theory for fast success is that the more things you do to move closer to your goal and minimize or eliminate things that take away from achieving it will get you there in record time.

I accomplished a 10 goal board in 5 years except for "learning to Surf" as it was replaced with "Learning to fly a Paraglider" after I saw a few too many shark week episodes.

The "Sports Car" was on the list but I had a picture of a Viper, but I am so glad I found Porsche instead, and it puts a big smile on my face every day.

I also had a hot chick in leather on a motorcycle, on the Dream Board, and got those too, minus the leather part...well...I guess I wear the chaps, not her...ooops.

PS: I used to live in your town but Southern California was on my Dream Board

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 02-20-2014 at 06:46 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote