Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #1

Different types of tiptronic?

Tomorrow, I'm going to look at my third Boxster 2.7 in three days. I've already travelled 800 miles since yesterday to find the right car and hopefully tomorrow's one will be just right.

But the first two were a late 2000 model year poverty-spec 2.7 manual, and an early 2000 model year tiptronic with climate and cruise control, but they were both around the same price for insurance. Tomorrow's one is an early 2002 tip with a few more toys on board, but shoots up an extra twelve groups for insurance making the quotes nearly 50% higher. The only difference is that the car registration plate brings it up as a "Tiptronic S" rather than a regular tiptronic and that's what all the insurers told me was making the difference.

Please forgive my newbie ignorance, but what's the difference? I know it's not the same as a Boxster S as they came out in 2003 with the 3.2 motor and a few styling differences including the glass rear screen. One other forum claimed the difference is that regular tips lack the steering wheel gear change buttons and only had four gears, but the early 2000 model I tried today definitely had five forward gears and steering wheel buttons when it left the factory.

Last edited by Obertelli; 02-17-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Obertelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
The S model with the 3.2 litre engine was in fact introduced in the 2000 model year, so you're being quoted for insurance on an "S" model vehicle. For whatever reason, the Tip in a Boxster S is referred to as a Tiptronic S. If things work for you, you will not regret buying an S, I love the extra go and whoa this model provides.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #3

Garage
A tiptronic S is an updated transmission. All tips have 5 gears and wheel shifters from any year. But as of 2000 or maybe later if the last wasn't an S the only difference is a tiptronic S is "smarter" and also you can shift while still in auto mode. The older tiptronic has to be put into "M" first. If the car is a Boxster S it will have 3 vents at the front and not 2. As for your 2003 observation that is all cars got a glass rear and a 10 HP boost. The S came out in 2000 as well though. Ultimately a tiptronic S is just an updated transmission and is totally separate and has nothing to do with the car being a Boxster S or not.

Last edited by BIGJake111; 02-17-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: typing on ipod is terrible, finally got to the computer.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #4

^yup. My 01 Tiptronic is able to switch to manual mode while in D. However, these Tiptronic buttons are poorly design though because the location of it causes to shift into Manual accidentally.

Are there mods for any improvement to these Tip buttons?
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obertelli View Post
Tomorrow, I'm going to look at my third Boxster 2.7 in three days. I've already travelled 800 miles since yesterday to find the right car and hopefully tomorrow's one will be just right.

But the first two were a late 2000 model year poverty-spec 2.7 manual, and an early 2000 model year tiptronic with climate and cruise control, but they were both around the same price for insurance. Tomorrow's one is an early 2002 tip with a few more toys on board, but shoots up an extra twelve groups for insurance making the quotes nearly 50% higher. The only difference is that the car registration plate brings it up as a "Tiptronic S" rather than a regular tiptronic and that's what all the insurers told me was making the difference.

Please forgive my newbie ignorance, but what's the difference? I know it's not the same as a Boxster S as they came out in 2003 with the 3.2 motor and a few styling differences including the glass rear screen. One other forum claimed the difference is that regular tips lack the steering wheel gear change buttons and only had four gears, but the early 2000 model I tried today definitely had five forward gears and steering wheel buttons when it left the factory.
The change from the original Tiptronic to the Tip S added the ability to adapt to driver's behavior, and also allows driver to change gears without entering manual mode. In manual mode, if there is no driver input for a period of eight seconds, the system reverts to automatic mode. It was used as early as 2000 Porsche Boxster.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
^yup. My 01 Tiptronic is able to switch to manual mode while in D. However, these Tiptronic buttons are poorly design though because the location of it causes to shift into Manual accidentally.

Are there mods for any improvement to these Tip buttons?
Yep, there is one !

Old 02-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #7

Thanks everyone.

I've now bought a 2002 2.7 Tip S :dance: and it's far better than the regular Tip on the early 2000 car I tried yesterday.

But part of that judgement may be coloured by the fact that my car has the gorgeous 3-spoke wheel...
Old 02-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

I've now bought a 2002 2.7 Tip S :dance: and it's far better than the regular Tip on the early 2000 car I tried yesterday.

But part of that judgement may be coloured by the fact that my car has the gorgeous 3-spoke wheel...
Congrats But it didn't happen without pictures
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Congrats But it didn't happen without pictures
My first photo, taken at work first thing this morning. The drive to work was far more enjoyable today. My "company car" a Mercedes Sprinter bus, is just behind.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  487.9 KB
Old 02-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #10

Garage
Outstanding color! Looks great, enjoy the ride home!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Outstanding color! Looks great, enjoy the ride home!
Thanks, I certainly did! I had to change a front indicator (US= turn signal) bulb after work and that's when I discovered the car also has Litronics
Old 02-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #12

How many sunny months do you get in London? Here in NY/NJ I have a rule, if the weather is above 60F the top is down, even if there's a light drizzle. If I drive fast enough the water flys right over the cockpit.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
How many sunny months do you get in London? Here in NY/NJ I have a rule, if the weather is above 60F the top is down, even if there's a light drizzle. If I drive fast enough the water flys right over the cockpit.
Our summer weather is very unpredictable, so it's not really possible to give a direct answer. But so far, unless it's raining or unless the temperature is below 10C (50F) I'll be running with the roof back just like I've been doing for years with my Citroen 2cv. Except when my wife is on board, in which case the temperature needs to be much higher for open roof motoring.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Our summer weather is very unpredictable, so it's not really possible to give a direct answer. But so far, unless it's raining or unless the temperature is below 10C (50F) I'll be running with the roof back just like I've been doing for years with my Citroen 2cv. Except when my wife is on board, in which case the temperature needs to be much higher for open roof motoring.
The boxsters heat works pretty well, might be able to convince the wife of some crisper open top motoring.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote