Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 04:42 AM   #1

Removing cat clamps?

Hello,
My entire exhaust is off, except for I have no idea how to remove those 2 clamps on the cats. Then it's off to remove the 2 rear muffler bolts :0

Any help on these last 2 items?

Also side note, are all wheel spacers technically the same. What's the difference between cheap eBay spacers vs the 80 dollar a peice units?

haste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:00 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

The hangers or pipe couplings?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:59 AM   #3

Garage
The clamp with 2 bolts - the one that connect the secondary cats to the muffler?

Those just need to be expanded and twisted. Use a LOT of penetrating oil in there, maybe even let it sit over night. I flooded mine, waited a bit, and then used a flat screwdriver to spread the clamp. then aggressively twisted back and forth and it slid off...
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #4

We'll I really just want the muffler off. I want to keep the 2 u bends into mufflers.

I went ahead and removed everything. I just cannot get that clamp off the clamp with the 2 bolts after cat. Neither can I remove the one clamp into muffler. It soaked for a day. Help?
haste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #5

Twist and slide

As I recall, you loosen the bolts, twist it side-to-side, and then slide it back on pipe.
rujorujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #6

The U tubes have to come off the 2nd cats/muffler to get them out.

also the 2nd cats have 3 nuts/bolts to get off.

you of course have to disconnect all the bracing and loosen the muffler hanging bolts as well for the jiggle freedom at the U tubes.

Once both ends are released you can jiggle it out towards the rear of the car.

I used a lot of WD40 on the bolts and the U tubes on my SOCAL car, but I imagine in more wet climates more drastic measures may be required to free things up.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 02-17-2014 at 08:57 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote