Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #1

windshield washer fluid reservoir

so i did a search on this site and renntech, but am still having trouble. there is a leak on my windshield fluid reservoir. most people say that the tubing just came loose, but mine is definitely not. i have removed the tire and wheelwell cover. i accessed the container and noted that the leak is coming from the general area of where the tube goes into the container. i removed the tube to ensure that it wasn't cracked or worn. it visibly looks good. i tried placing it back on with a zip tie to tighten it. it still leaked. funny thing was that the nipple and plastic part that it connects to is very mobile. it doesn't seem "loose", but it does rotate. is that normal? anyhow, i figured that was my problem area. i couldn't see directly at it though. i tried to remove the tank, but was unsuccessful. anyone know how? i gave up and ultimately, just applied silicone sealant to it and now am crossing my fingers that it will stick. will the head of the engine/brakes cause it to melt with time? i am going to allow it to dry overnight before trying to fill the tank again. but if this doesn't work...i'll take any suggestions. thanks guys.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #2

Sorry I don't have a answer to your question, but have a related question you may be able to answer since you "have been there."

From your access, can you see the reservoir sensor? My low fluid light stays on all the time and I was told that it was very difficult to get to the sensor....hence I have not dealt with it. Thanks and good luck!
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #3

sorry. i wasn't specifically looking for the sensor and don't remember it being obvious. but my attempt at chaulking the seal did NOT work. it is still leaking. so i may be back under again to take another look. if i see it, i'll let you know. thanks anyways.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:07 AM   #4
dennis26

I have never seen the washer bottle on a Porsche. But have seen them on many other cars. The nipple area was never loose on any bottle I have seen.
dennis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:18 AM   #5

so, what i noticed is that the nipple is connected to the pump which in turn is connected to the tank. the nipple and pump are one unit. the pump seems to "rotate" in the hole/connection of the tank. this is where i am noticing the source of the leak. so, perhaps there is a gasket or washer there that needs to be replaced...??? but i can't seem to remove the tank for examination without fear of ripping the tank out and causing a bigger issue. hmmm...i guess if there is a leak..i might as well replace the tank anyways. thanks.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanle16 View Post
so, what i noticed is that the nipple is connected to the pump which in turn is connected to the tank. the nipple and pump are one unit. the pump seems to "rotate" in the hole/connection of the tank. this is where i am noticing the source of the leak. so, perhaps there is a gasket or washer there that needs to be replaced...??? but i can't seem to remove the tank for examination without fear of ripping the tank out and causing a bigger issue. hmmm...i guess if there is a leak..i might as well replace the tank anyways. thanks.
Try this:

Washer Fluid Reserve Tank - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums

A common leak point on these is the O-ring where the filler neck enters the tank.