Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 07:05 AM   #1
Yellow986S

Corner balance and LCA butterflying

I am going for a corner balance and alignment today.

I have dialed in the ride height on the KW V3's and have raised it slightly from my previous set up; however I noticed the rear toe arm and the lower control arm are slightly butterflied upwards.

Mostly the toe arm not the LCA.

How much suspension travel do you think I am losing and how much effect is this having on my suspension's geometry? Am i losing a lot of suspension performance?
Should i raise it some more?

Front is lowered about 1.75 inches and rear is 1.43 inches.

Yellow986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Don't overthink this. Take it to a shop with tons of experience with coilover setups, tell them how you plan to use the car and what tires you plan to run and get out of the way so they can do their magic. There are a bunch of interrelated suspension components and experienced hands mean the difference between a setup that transforms your car in a good way, and one that sucks azz.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
Yellow986S

I am taking it to a reputable race shop for porsches and lotus. I went their yesterday and we were going to get it aligned and corner balanced but the guy said I should raise up the ride height myself to save $120. I raised it a good amount to eliminate most of the butterfly effect but there is still a little. So my question is a small amount of the toe rod pointing upwards okay or should I raise it another quarter inch so the LCA and toe rod are at 90 degrees. Thanks
Old 02-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #4

I don't know the answer to your question but I'm wondering if you still have the factory rear toe arms. If so you'll probably be going back a third time to finalize rear toe.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

You need to raise the car until you can get an acceptable setting for the rear toe. I'm not trying to be an azz, but as Topless said, its kind of a ying and yang thing; the settings are inter-related and changing one setting will affect the others. Thus, its difficult, if not impossible, to tell you what ride height will yield an acceptable toe setting.

It doesn't matter how much travel or suspension performance you'll be losing - the tech will set up the alignment to work the best within the geometry constraints of the components you have. You'll get what you get. If you want more or better, you'll have to buy adj rear toe arms and/or other new components that will allow greater range of adjustability.

At this point, take it to the alignment shop and hopefully the guy can make it work. Otherwise, pay the $120 and have him set the ride height that works the best.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 02-06-2014 at 04:14 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
Yellow986S

The corner balance and alignment was done and the car drives excellent. The camber really helped out with turn in and grip.

I have my setup and corner balance weight print outs in another thread.