Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 04:52 AM   #1
Rennzenn

Garage
northern snow vs southern snow

It's effing cold here in Virginia, and last night we got 1-2" of dry, powedery snow like y'all get up north. It was a nice change from the heavy wet icy crap we usually get . This morning, instead of breaking my back clearing the driveway with a snow shovel (1-2 hrs), I got out the leaf blower and was done in about 30 minutes. Nice. Can't believe it was 60 degrees day before yesterday.

j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:19 AM   #2

Garage
I can't believe the difference between Virginia and South New Jersey. We had a warm spell the other day as it went up into the 20's. We got a dusting last night 1-2 inches and that was a quick clearing. I haven't started the Box since MLK day, it was in the 40's so I washed, put some gas in it, stuck it in the garage, covered it up and put the Float charger on. I'm just waiting for it to come into the 30's so I can at least start the thing. I'm afraid to drive it because the roads look like the Bonneville Salt flats around here
Last year I drove all through the Winter but it was pretty mild
I'm hating this winter. I started looking at the Carolina's to maybe move then I see that their world as, they know it, came to an end because of the snow. I know the ice is a killer, it is everywhere
Old 01-29-2014, 05:47 AM   #3

If you're going to live where it snows, you might as well pick a place where they are used to it and can handle it. When we get a foot or two of snow here it's no big deal. The busses still run and everyone gets to work. Most people have AWD, 4x4, or at least good snow tires. We have snow blowers ranging from small 5hp 24" units up to 13hp 45" monsters that can clear the average driveway in minutes. Mine is an 8hp 28 " with 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse, and it moves a lot of snow, fast. The city has a battalion of snowplows, loaders, and dump trucks and everything is cleared and back to normal in a day or so. Even massive blizzards like we had in '86 and '66 are cleared in a couple of days, and there are lots of people with snowmobiles to keep things moving while we dig out. Our houses are well insulated and have adequate furnaces so that even a prolonged stretch of sub-30 weather really isn't a big deal. Our cars all have electric block heaters so that they will reliably start in cold weather.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:07 AM   #4
recycledsixtie

Garage
If you want to see and experience the worst snow then you got to live in Vancouver , British Columbia, the we(s)t coast that is. Usually close to freezing for those conditions and the heaviest wettest snow imaginable. Hard to shovel and hard to drive in. Makes traffic really slow....
G.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #5

Garage
When I first moved from Wisconsin to Texas, we had a dusting of snow in the DFW area that equaled maybe an inch overnight. I got up in the morning, jumped in my truck and headed off to work. The roads were empty and I wondered to myself, "is it Saturday or something?" When I got to work, no one was there. Could not believe it! Fast forward 16 years and I get it, they do not have the equipment to handle snow and especially ice. Easier and cheaper just to shut the place down rather than staff/equip for an occasional snow or ice storm.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:55 AM   #6

Sir.. up here in the North we get the wet crap. We get the dry crap. We get the 12" crap. We get the 2" crap. We get the black ice. We get the white ice. We get a combination of all the above. We also get Hurricanes now apparently as well that vaporize the shoreline. As well snow storms as early as October that weigh down the tree limbs and take down power lines leaving folks without electricity for weeks. Oh...and these things called North Easters that are like mini Hurricanes in a hurry.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #7

All snow sucks, that's why I live in California. I don't do cold and I definitely don't do snow. Used to ski all the time when I was in my youth, got older and wiser and ditched the cold weather stuff.

"They would wallow in other people's misery" - Sex Pistols
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
All snow sucks, that's why I live in California. I don't do cold and I definitely don't do snow. Used to ski all the time when I was in my youth, got older and wiser and ditched the cold weather stuff.
I live in Wyoming because I don't do heat, millions of people, traffic, crime or pollution. Still skiing nearly every day at the ripe young age of 64 . To each his/her own .
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:41 AM   #9

Leaf blower doesn't work here.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #10

^ you have snow stuck to your sky.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #11

Garage
CA storm

Looks like another typical year in So CA

img]http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01/CA+Winter+storm1391104924.jpg[/img]
Old 01-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #12

Garage
[QUOTE=BYprodriver;383841]Looks like another typical year in So CA

Old 01-31-2014, 06:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
I live in Wyoming because I don't do heat, millions of people, traffic, crime or pollution. Still skiing nearly every day at the ripe young age of 64 . To each his/her own .
I live in cowboy country, so I don't know what crime and traffic you are referring to.

Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote