Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: How does your wife / SO feel about your car?
Loves it, drives it, have to schedule windshield time. 14 19.72%
Enjoys it, but to a point. 30 42.25%
Toleration, but not into it. Not really objecting. 24 33.80%
He's gonna kill himself in that damn thing... 3 4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #41

Garage
My wife likes the car. She has been a real good sport driving with the top down with her hair blowing all over. She has since got a proper riding bonet, like the one Mia Farrow wears in the original Great Gatsby. We have met some great people at C&C in Taunton, Ma. Its great to take a sunday drive through the back roads going to wine tastings at local vinyards and antiquing. So I drive she shops, life is good. The problem now is at the C&C in Taunton my wife fell in love with the 911's Arena Red. Need more $$ and a bigger garage. I always wanted a Porsche but never thought I would own one. We saw this car and both agreed we had to have it. Been fixing it ever since but when its running its a blast!

Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #42

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
It's a necessary evil, a toy for boys. She does like to "arrive" at parties in the Box but generally she is not into it, I drive entirely too fast , and she gets Porsche neck and motion sickness easily. A little irrational exuberance with honey in the right seat may result in my dash being decorated with ABC breakfast. It happened once in the Lexus.
As I was visualizing this, I had a flashback to when the new owner of Saleen took his wife out in Steve's SR351 which had the Alcon brake option. Before the wife latched her seatbelt he panic braked & she cracked the windshield with her head!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #43

My wife did lay claim to the ashtray to store a few pony tail holders. I found that kind of funny and seemed a very small price to pay in order for her to go places with me. She has since decided that she'd rather we get a 911 Cabrio next, though.
Devact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #44

If anyone wants the wife off the Porsche, just attach some aftermarket fiberglass parts all around it, paint your wheels black and that's all it takes really. As soon as my superb Porsche knockoff rear spoiler ended up on the trunk she never drove it again. Brilliant eh!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #45
Vista glass

Garage
My wife found my current Porsche for me. She's a keeper, so is the 986. She will drive it occasionally,but is afraid of hosing it up.Decades ago she mangled the transmission of my Porsche with a bad shift. Not a word was said in the matter except " Are you OK ?Oh well, I'll get it fixed.
We then came to the point where I asked "Upgrade the Porsche or procreate?" Well two daughters and twenty five years later she comes to me and says "I found your car." She may not love the 986 but I believe she loves me. She does enjoy the drives if I behave!

It is a blessing to have a companion that understands their partners needs. I would say her true opinion is supportive, but not really excited. She has also been supportive as we went through boats, bikes, buggies and four wheelers too. I will say she liked the boats the best. The sports cars come in next. The buggies, bikes and four wheelers not at all.

Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:38 AM   #46

My wife can't drive a stick, so no worries there! She loves riding in the Boxster. We will usually include a stop for a nice lunch or a bit of shopping into our weekend drives so that helps. We joined the PCA a few years back and have participated in many fun runs, rallies, etc. She even comes out for the track weekends in the 951!
'01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black, Litronics upgrade / de-ambered
crooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:03 AM   #47
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
As I don't have an SO to speak of, can't really answer this. But I only let my ex drive it once or twice and no more due to my own nervousness. It's tolerated, is just a car to him though.

My parents? Well, mom has a Boxster so there's your answer.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:12 AM   #48

Wifey loves to go on trips to the coast, PCH in particular, and to Lake Tahoe. However here's the rub, hates to have the top down, messes up her hair. So yes she loves it but wants the lid closed. Screw that, I didn't buy a convertible to run with the lid closed. Thus she gets limited access, but come on, that ain't always a bad thing.
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
My wife isn't comfortable driving a stick, but loves to go on rides. Has recently suggested that she would like her own automatic boxster...

Hence, why I am in the market for a Tiptronic, 2000-2004 base or S. Perfer sub 100k miles.
+1
Got mine a '98 Tip before I got my 2002 S stick. Now we have 3 two seaters & a motorcycle. Looks like the panel truck will soon be replaced with a Cayenne.
Taipanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #50

My wife lays her head on the roof and pets it like a dog. She says "good Porsche"... I think she's mocking me.
2005 Ford F-150 Monster Truck
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionist View Post
My wife lays her head on the roof and pets it like a dog. She says "good Porsche"... I think she's mocking me.
Watch out! One day she and that car maybe gone. Off having an intimate romance on some curvacious back roads.
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:26 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
I don't have a wife, so I don't have to listen to anything she likes or doesn't like.

Consequently, I have 4 Boxsters, and am looking for a 5th!
I think you have the causal relationship reversed here.

The key is to keep your mouth closed when they indulge in their less expensive, less impractical hobbies or purchases.
eli cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:47 PM   #53

Garage
We only have manuals. She likes the car riding or driving. She also like coming to DE's but would not drive in a DE. I have to also add the car is closer to a track car than a street car.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:51 PM   #54
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
My wife is the perfect Porsche passenger which works well because I'm not! She has accompanied me on many driving vacations and has only complained once when I was doing mild 4 wheel drifts climbing Beartooth mountain on the way into Yellowstone, something about no guardrails.

She is an accomplished driver with many lady class autocross wins in the 70s, but I do all the driving on trips. She usually drives the 3.6 Boxster when going solo.

We bought our first Porsche in 74 just 2 years after getting married, what a trip with a fantastic girl and and a long line of fun cars.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 01-31-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:21 PM   #55
Damn Yankee

Garage
You guys rock!

Would love to party (driving our Porsches) with you guys!

TO

TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote