Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #1

Garage
Price range

Hello all;
I have a 2004 base Boxster, Guards Red with black interior. I had an IMS failure at 52,800 miles. PCNA replaced the engine and while we were at that point, also put in a new clutch. Porsche has guaranteed the engine for 2 years, with no mileage limitation. I am possibly losing my garage space this year, so may have to sell. Since this car basically has a brand new engine and now approximately 54,000 miles, what would you sell a car like this for? The body and top are in good shape, the interior is also clean. I am thinking $17,000 because it has a new guaranteed engine.

Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #2

At $17k I would think it would sell fast - a bargain. There's a Porsche dealer here (Denver)trying to sell a 2004 base Boxster with 20k miles for $30,000. I bet you could easily get in the low to mid 20's for that car depending how the market for them is out there in NY.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #3

Garage
Thanks Dave. just fishing around for some learned opinions. Take care. And good luck in the Super Bowl! Mitch.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
At $17k I would think it would sell fast - a bargain. There's a Porsche dealer here (Denver)trying to sell a 2004 base Boxster with 20k miles for $30,000. I bet you could easily get in the low to mid 20's for that car depending how the market for them is out there in NY.
I don't know what the car is worth, but you cant go by what some dealer is asking.
Dealers tend to ask for the moon on stuff and they can sit on a car for 6 months if they want to.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #5

Garage
I would say that is a very fair price. New engine and clutch, warranty, low over all miles, and a glove box! Someone will appreciate what they are getting.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #6

I think 17k is about right, although if you start there you will have to come down as everybody has to get a deal. Keep in mind you can buy a high mileage 99 996 for the same price. I know they are different cars, but it's reality and folks may not want to pay that much for an old base Boxster. Wholesale your car is probably worth 10-12k. Post it in excellence pca you are likely to get more informed buyers who know what they are getting.

Good luck, how did you get Porsche to replace your motor so far out of warranty?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #7

Porsche dealer wanted $24k for my Boxster S with a full service completed at the dealership and full records with just 40k on her. After sitting for 3 months and lots of negotiation they sold it to me for $18k and plus they gave me $2k more on my trade in then I thought it was worth at wholesale. What anyone including a dealer asks for isn't always what they get.

Best of lick with your Boxster. It sounds real nice.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #8

Buying my turbo, I found Porsche dealers to be the worst. They just wouldn't negotiate. One dealer outside Philly let me walk out the door for 1-2k on a car they have been sitting on for a while and still are. They would not budge from their asking price. In addition they were always priced much higher than other sources.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrikos View Post
I think 17k is about right, although if you start there you will have to come down as everybody has to get a deal. Keep in mind you can buy a high mileage 99 996 for the same price. I know they are different cars, but it's reality and folks may not want to pay that much for an old base Boxster. Wholesale your car is probably worth 10-12k. Post it in excellence pca you are likely to get more informed buyers who know what they are getting.

Good luck, how did you get Porsche to replace your motor so far out of warranty?
They diagnosed the IMS failure and replaced the engine per the class action lawsuit. They covered 90% and the person I bought it from covered the other 10%. The class action suit covered the cars to various degrees for 10 years. I made it in just under the wire!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #10

2.5 million Turkish Lira.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Porsche dealer wanted $24k for my Boxster S with a full service completed at the dealership and full records with just 40k on her. After sitting for 3 months and lots of negotiation they sold it to me for $18k and plus they gave me $2k more on my trade in then I thought it was worth at wholesale. What anyone including a dealer asks for isn't always what they get.

Best of lick with your Boxster. It sounds real nice.
Lick it good.

I was trying to do the same, at a VW dealership for a 2004 Base Boxster with 49k miles. Asking price was 16.5k, I offered 14k cash out the door. Condition was fine, but no where near perfect. They didn't take it, didn't even think about it for a second.
alanqning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanqning View Post
Lick it good.

I was trying to do the same, at a VW dealership for a 2004 Base Boxster with 49k miles. Asking price was 16.5k, I offered 14k cash out the door. Condition was fine, but no where near perfect. They didn't take it, didn't even think about it for a second.
Business is good obviously. I don't think that really has much as much to do with your offer.
in 2009 they would have come to your home with all the papers to sign and a large pizza.
But once the market corrects hard and banks are having to loan out all their own cash...
they won't be so quick to turn down offers on trade in cars.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-27-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #13

It was a dealership right in the middle of Gold Coast Chicago, apparently someone flew in from New York and bought at asking price.

There was hail damage on the front fender, few paint chips too, struts could use replacing in the new future. Engine codes were all perfect, I was first one to EVER redline it. It was a old grandpa's car to take around slowly, but still a downtown car. Definitely saw winter too.

alanqning is offline   Reply With Quote