Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #41

Garage
Group Hug!!

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #42
recycledsixtie

Garage
+1 on MarkT and Jager
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:06 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Group Hug!!
I agree with that too!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #44

Garage
Quote:
Group Hug!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
+1 on MarkT and Jager
Everybody gather around, including you Jake (I just couldn't do that tongue kissing emoticon )
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #45

Quote:
Group Hug!!
French tickler time.
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #46

Garage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhiwu6_19HA

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #47

Garage
If anyone would care to gain additional insight into Jake Raby's personality traits, facts can be learned here:
Jake Raby - Marines
Old 01-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #48

What the heazy happened here. Thought this only happened in oil threads. Gheesh
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #49

I hope all this garbage and cry babying isn't because I asked a legitimate (to me anyway) on whether or not a Boxster waterpump gives indication of impending failure like every other cars water pump does.
I ask questions because I don't know.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:24 AM   #50
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
FWIW, when my water pump went out on my 01 at 60k, it gave me warning by way of a nice leak under the car. I had enough time to drive it to the dealer...about 5 miles away, and all was fine after they replaced it. I personally don't see a need to replace the WP every 4 years or whatever....it gets replaced when it busts.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:36 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
FWIW, when my water pump went out on my 01 at 60k, it gave me warning by way of a nice leak under the car. I had enough time to drive it to the dealer...about 5 miles away, and all was fine after they replaced it. I personally don't see a need to replace the WP every 4 years or whatever....it gets replaced when it busts.
As I understand it ( I'm no expert ) the failure you describe is NOT the one to be scared of ( leaking ). The failure to be scared of is the vanes on the pump cracking and sending schrapnel into the cooling passages. As I understand it the cooling passages are fairly small so broken pieces of WP vanes can lodge and cause hot spots. Those hot spots cause cracked heads which then gives you the lovely brown soup of oil/coolant mix. In this failure mode you won't get a puddle on the floor............you'll get a expensive repair bill
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:15 AM   #52
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Where does it stop? Should I replace everything preemptively? Should I toss and turn at night, wondering what may happen? I don't think so. That's not how I live my life. I bought this car, cash in hand, as a 33rd birthday present to myself and I'm just going to continue enjoying it

If something breaks, I'll replace it...just like everything else I own. It's as if some would have us believe that these cars are priceless treasures that should have money thrown at them simply for the sake of what may happen. Whatever. It's just a car. You'll sleep better if you stop worrying so much.

Que sera, sera
Old 01-26-2014, 04:22 AM   #53
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
I hope all this garbage and cry babying isn't because I asked a legitimate (to me anyway) on whether or not a Boxster waterpump gives indication of impending failure like every other cars water pump does.
It wasn't the fact that you asked a question, it's that 1% of us went unpoliced by the rest of the board and refused to swap their water pumps preemptively this weekend and could not be or were not forced into it.

I didn't realize that was a direct order.....
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:30 AM   #54
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Where does it stop? Should I replace everything preemptively? Should I toss and turn at night, wondering what may happen? I don't think so. That's not how I live my life. I bought this car, cash in hand, as a 33rd birthday present to myself and I'm just going to continue enjoying it

If something breaks, I'll replace it...just like everything else I own. It's as if some would have us believe that these cars are priceless treasures that should have money thrown at them simply for the sake of what may happen. Whatever. It's just a car. You'll sleep better if you stop worrying so much.

Que sera, sera
Posts like this are part of the (JR's) problem......

This isn't helping get him back ASAP!

Am I supposed to be policing you?

When you don't change your water pump, your car over-heats.
When your car over-heats, it explodes.
When your car explodes, it kills you.
When your car kills you, your wife / Gf says "I told him so!!!"
Don't let your wife / GF say "I told him so!!!" CHANGE THAT WATER PUMP!!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:35 AM   #55
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Dammit!
K, I'm on it.

Better yet, I'll just replace the whole engine while I'm in there. Should I do the trans, too? Shoot...now I'm worried. Think of all of the wiring in this thing. Any one of thousands of wires could short out at any time, burning the car to a cinder and taking my home with it. Should I just sell the car? Oh, my tummy hurts
Old 01-26-2014, 04:55 AM   #56
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Posts like this are part of the (JR's) problem......

This isn't helping get him back ASAP!

Am I supposed to be policing you?

When you don't change your water pump, your car over-heats.
When your car over-heats, it explodes.
When your car explodes, it kills you.
When your car kills you, your wife / Gf says "I told him so!!!"
Don't let your wife / GF say "I told him so!!!" CHANGE THAT WATER PUMP!!
It just depends on how the folks in the forum want it run. I consider myself one of the 1% because I say exactly what I believe. Imagine that. I try to be nice about it, but I don't bow down to anyone's alter, no matter how technically accomplished they might be. That's not to say I don't appreciate and value their ideas. There are a select group of posters on this forum that are clearly highly professional and experts on the Porsche Boxster, and it's fantastic that they share their ideas here, even if it is with a little self promotion. That said, all the ideas posted have value, all of us together are smarter than any one of us alone. And as for the hand wringing / group hug session, go ahead and get started without me.

The water pump is waiting to bite you in the a$$ after all this posting. If it wasn't going to fail, it is now!
Old 01-26-2014, 05:19 AM   #57
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
It just depends on how the folks in the forum want it run. I consider myself one of the 1% because I say exactly what I believe. Imagine that. I try to be nice about it, but I don't bow down to anyone's alter, no matter how technically accomplished they might be. That's not to say I don't appreciate and value their ideas. There are a select group of posters on this forum that are clearly highly professional and experts on the Porsche Boxster, and it's fantastic that they share their ideas here, even if it is with a little self promotion. That said, all the ideas posted have value, all of us together are smarter than any one of us alone. And as for the hand wringing / group hug session, go ahead and get started without me.

The water pump is waiting to bite you in the a$$ after all this posting. If it wasn't going to fail, it is now!
But, I thought it was the IMS that we were supposed to run right out and swap same day??!! Now I'm hearing it's the water pump?????

I just can't understand why each owner is being given the option to swap this stuff or not in their own cars in this day and age. With .gov making rules for everything we do, and with all the knowledge we have today, these preemptive fixes should be law. Remember, the NSA doesn't know the owner of each car, just wether the IMS and WP have been changed in it....
Old 01-26-2014, 05:22 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
No, it's not you. This forum, like most, has the occasional spontaneous outbreak of drama and, after a brief period of frothy waters, settles back down again. Put some popcorn in the 'wave, sit back, enjoy the show.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:25 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post

Que sera, sera
Now that is a healthy attitude. If it blows up, sell the parts and buy another one. Probably cheaper in the long run than hurling money at problems that might never occur.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:34 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
I consider myself one of the 1% because I say exactly what I believe. Imagine that. I try to be nice about it, but I don't bow down to anyone's alter, no matter how technically accomplished they might be. That's not to say I don't appreciate and value their ideas. There are a select group of posters on this forum that are clearly highly professional and experts on the Porsche Boxster, and it's fantastic that they share their ideas here, even if it is with a little self promotion. That said, all the ideas posted have value, all of us together are smarter than any one of us alone.

Well said sir!