Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #21

Understanding the expected, ever-present 986 bias, I'm curious to what everyone thinks: Is a car still "classic" if it's been heavily modded? I mean when looking at "classic" car auctions, most of the high priced are stock, right? Not putting on a GT2 bumbler, different wheels (not OEM), etc... So, is the debate really a question of, "Can a 986 be made to look timeless with appropriate modding and still be considered classic?" I mean, I'm biased against the _ _ 6 because of the fried egg headlights and the, ahem, dated interior, but if the 986 were truly classic, wouldn't the generations that followed be closer to the general appearance of the "original" much like the 911s have had a slow evolution?

Sure, I get that >96% of people here love the 986, but a majority of those here have modded it, which begs the question of how can a car be classic, when you mod it into something that has parts that were never included during production? By definition, you create something that can't be considered classic as it has become unique, right? Which is fine if that's what you want to do. I mean, hey, it's your car, right? Maybe unmodded parts can be classic, but the car as a whole may approach "timeless"...? But it's been modded and isn't OEM.

Personally, I agree with the people that argue low production numbers make for a stronger argument, but I don't know that any Porsche car beyond the 911 could be considered "classic" even with the carrera gt having low production numbers. Having said that, I'm not sure which model of 911 can be considered classic, but I think the simple fact that you could look at 911s separated by 20 years and not make the mistake of thinking either car isn't a 911.

Last edited by cfos; 01-24-2014 at 06:51 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
Why do they have to be replicas?
Because authentic 18 inch Carrera lights cost nearly as much as the 97 Boxster resale value.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 01-24-2014 at 06:11 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #23
2002 Boxster S

Garage
Regarding all the talk of "too many of them to be valuable", I suspect the fact that about 70% of all Porsches ever built are still running means that they'll never be vanishingly rare. But who cares, really? That number is 70% because they're well built (not perfect, but what is?) and alluring enough that people are willing to treat them well, keep them repaired and restore them when they get shabby looking.

In other words, I think they'll never be rare because they're great cars. If you want rare, try to find a running Yugo and pay the big bucks it commands.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
It's genuinely a "best of both worlds" workhorse group of Porsches that get a heck of a lot of flack from the "purists" but you'll be out shredding tires while their home waxing or saving up to finish that $10K engine rebuild.
I feel exactly the same way!
Love my Box!
Old 01-25-2014, 03:49 AM   #25
haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
by that that standard nearly all Porsches are used cars. Few have recovered their original sticker prices in the second hand market,
Carrera GT, 356, first Turbo, 959. Alle true classics that you need to pay for more for than when new.
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:56 AM   #26
03S

Timeless indeed...

03S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03S View Post
Timeless indeed...

To quote Paris "That's Hot!"
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #28

Honestly I would have agreed until I saw the 981 in the flesh
It looks great on pictures, but what a stunner in real life
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:23 AM   #29
recycledsixtie

Garage
As much as I like you guys and gals if I won a 2014 Cayman/Boxster in a lottery I would sell my 2001 Box in a heartbeat. Porsche's updating every year works magic on me....

Not willing to spend that amount of $$$$ on a new one so I am staying on this forum for a while. As regards stock yes absolutely. Everything I do is OEM. No addons, no desnorkelling etc so when I come to sell it will not look like a boyracer......
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
Being a limited production vehicle does little to define a car as a classic or determine how collectible it will be one day (ex: every muscle car built). Just take for instance the early S30 series Z cars...they were a dime a dozen when I was growing up and you would see one all the time. The production numbers were very strong for most all the various models and iterations but now days you rarely see one because they were either not cared for and eventually sent to the scrap yard, or they rusted away. A well maintained early example can sell for significant money today and they will continue to appreciate. Did anyone think the daytona./superbirds would be worth $200k+ one day when they were on the market? Boxsters are not likely to rust away like some of the others but they could wind up neglected, abused, and scrapped till the remaining cars begin to appreciate....not to the extent a vintage ferrari would by any means but I do think they will appreciate some day.
+1 on the above. Anyone else ever watch the BarretJackson auto auctions?
1964.5-1966 Mustang & VW bug, highest volume production cars made until the Japanese invasion & neither was a high quality car. Any drivable example will sell for more than it did new today. Here in CA any convertiblehas value. I laugh everytime I see a Dodge Dart convertible!
Old 01-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #31

Garage
Only time will tell...

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #32

Even in gloomy weather the cars lines are quite timeless.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #33
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Timeless indeed...

Are those Speedline wheels?

They REALLY make the ride.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #34
03S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Are those Speedline wheels?

They REALLY make the ride.

TO
Yes, Gemballa Speedline Corse
Old 01-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Yes, Gemballa Speedline Corse
Quite possibly the best looking wheels I've seen on a boxster. 18's?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #36
03S

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
Quite possibly the best looking wheels I've seen on a boxster. 18's?
They're 18's. I've always thought they fit the Boxster perfectly.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #37

Quote:
They're 18's. I've always thought they fit the Boxster perfectly.
Yup, they look like the concepts wheels.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #38

Just an observation; I think we're all working with different definitions of 'classic'.

I'd like to say that I think that in 20-30 yrs. 986's will be rare as in less than 944's are now due to their maintenance costs ( and that problematic engine) and that when seen driving down the road, they will be desired and revered because they ARE a unique design, obviously a Porsche sports car and to many car guys, an icon- themselves. There are other 2 seaters but in north America, there are only 2 'good' ones: MR2 and the Boxster and only ones a PORSCHE.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #39
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I'm bumping a somewhat old thread, because I didn't want to start a new one, but I think I can end the debate.

On January 13, 2014, the 986 and 996 officially became Porsche Classics.
Although, having sold 164,874 of them might make them less classic.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:08 AM   #40

IMO, it is way too early to call the 986 a classic regardless of one's definition. As to the design, I do tend to agree with the OP, however. Yes, it looks a bit dated compared to the new Boxster Cayman. What would you expect for a vehicle design that is now 20 years old?

However, IMO the 986 was a brilliantly executed, amazingly cohesive and original design that positively screamed "Porsche'. The cars roots in the 'giant-killer' 550 Spyders of the 50's - the cars that put Porsche on the map in racing circles, are readily apparent. The curving, rather than angular forms are, well - sexy, rather than masculine, IMO. The same, of course, is true of the original Jaguar XKE - a car that Enzo Ferrari called the most beautiful car in the world.

While the new 981 appears muscular and masculine, to me the 986 evokes the female form - something which for me and many men, brings out an emotional and visceral response that a muscular, male form can never achieve. Heck, I think of mine as a beautiful and sexy woman who, if treated with respect, will provide incredible thrills and satisfaction. Is she a bit fragile? Yes. Does she need to be 'warmed-up' before going for it? Ditto. But once she is ready.....

IMO, the design is also one of the most cohesive and balanced of any car since the XKE and the original 911. Rather than a clash of angles and curves, a modified 'C' shape is carried throughout the design from the front grills, through the intrument cover, the door handles, the mirrors, the side air intakes, the doors, the door windows, the rear fenders, the rear tail-lights and upper brake light, the exhaust (in the base). It is even carried through into the design of various of the interior components.

The car may never become a 'classic' in the true sense of the word, but it is a beautiful design that should always be admired.

Brad

southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote