Thread: Timeless design
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #30
BYprodriver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
Being a limited production vehicle does little to define a car as a classic or determine how collectible it will be one day (ex: every muscle car built). Just take for instance the early S30 series Z cars...they were a dime a dozen when I was growing up and you would see one all the time. The production numbers were very strong for most all the various models and iterations but now days you rarely see one because they were either not cared for and eventually sent to the scrap yard, or they rusted away. A well maintained early example can sell for significant money today and they will continue to appreciate. Did anyone think the daytona./superbirds would be worth $200k+ one day when they were on the market? Boxsters are not likely to rust away like some of the others but they could wind up neglected, abused, and scrapped till the remaining cars begin to appreciate....not to the extent a vintage ferrari would by any means but I do think they will appreciate some day.
+1 on the above. Anyone else ever watch the BarretJackson auto auctions?
1964.5-1966 Mustang & VW bug, highest volume production cars made until the Japanese invasion & neither was a high quality car. Any drivable example will sell for more than it did new today. Here in CA any convertiblehas value. I laugh everytime I see a Dodge Dart convertible!